ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DT 11 or 694?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Short question: It would appear to me that the 694 is 80-90% of the gun that the DT 11 is, at 50% of the cost. Particularly with Bfast and adjustable comb.

So longer story - been shooting for 40 years, last 10 in informal sporting clays, using a Ruger Red Label 12 ga, 28" barrels. Have had a bit of success and have some modicum of talent to build off of.

I have been blessed in life financially, and could go with a Perazzi, DT 11, etc, if I wanted. But if I can get the functionality out of the 694, why not? Particularly, I think I will know more after 20k rounds than I do now.

Thoughts and guidance on my situation?

Post subject: Re: DT 11 or 694?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:58 pm 
Limited Edition

A good choice to go with the 694 if you aren’t driven to the DT-11. The DT-11 Is a superb gun. I have shot a friend’s on several occasion. Built like a tank and beautiful too. It is there for those who want it, need it or can’t live without it. The 694 can do the job for the rest of us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:48 am 
Presentation Grade

Go with wht you like or want. For me the 694 is all I need..

Beretta 682 Sporting 30"
Beretta 694 Sporting 30"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 am 
Presentation Grade

The 694 is a great value, it really is, it blows alot away in that $4,000 to $6,000 price range, for me personally I don't care for the larger fat and thick stock, and the palm swell is a little large for my liking, but that's just me.

Your getting alot of gun for the money, more gun then a Blaser F16 and a Cesar, Zoli is right there with it in that price range, The DT11 as stated is there for those that want it, and have to have it. I know a few people that have come and gone from the DT10's and they have ended right back with a lower grade mid price range gun. To each their own, I'm happy shooting a $450 semi auto that's a plastic fantastic or my 692 sporter, just pulling the trigger and dropping green heads and or busting clays is the most fun to me.

Enjoy the path, and enjoy what you shoot!

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:44 pm 
Field Grade

I bought a 686 SP1 in March and I have absolutely no doubt that it’s plenty of gun for ANY shooter. With that being said, the day will come when I feel like I need to “upgrade.” I believe the 694 is every bit as capable as the DT-11. I would consider the options for having a custom stock made or custom engraving instead of spending extra on the DT. Of course the sky is the limit! I also graduated from a Red Label and feel like my Beretta is twice the gun! Good luck!

Southpaw shooter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:27 am 
Presentation Grade

I think the 694 is a much better value, similar feel to the DT due to its thicker receiver. DT pricing has gone sky high and is 2+ times the price of a 694. The large crossbolt barrel shoulders are not for everybody. DT has a drop out trigger, the but coil spring trigger in the 694 is Very good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:46 am 
Diamond Grade

I dislike the crossbolt lockup of the DT series and have found recoil to be excessive. If you can get the fit and weight/balance you want in a 694 i'd go with that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

If you are able to get the DT11 I would buy it over the 694. Why wouldn’t you get the premier target gun if you could? You can always get a cheaper gun.
I’ve had my DT11 for 3 years now and I don’t ever expect to change. It’s that good...
Cheers Gofer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

birdhunter39 wrote:
I dislike the crossbolt lockup of the DT series and have found recoil to be excessive. If you can get the fit and weight/balance you want in a 694 i'd go with that.

Interesting as my '11 is the softest shooting O/U I've ever shot.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 am 
Limited Edition

hopper810 wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:

Interesting as my '11 is the softest shooting O/U I've ever shot.

As in the case of different brands of similar recipe ammo, the idea that different guns with the same mechanical system (o/u, SA, pump) and very similar weights would display much different felt recoil is absurd. I do believe the DT-11 is soft shooting as you would expect for so massive a gun.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:10 am 
Diamond Grade

An awful lot of folks who actually shoot a fair amount would beg to differ. There simply is more to perceived recoil than weight and action.

Seems a lot of your posts are theory. Do you actually shoot much? Have you spent time with a DT? How about other guns in that class?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:06 am 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
An awful lot of folks who actually shoot a fair amount would beg to differ. There simply is more to perceived recoil than weight and action.

Seems a lot of your posts are theory. Do you actually shoot much? Have you spent time with a DT? How about other guns in that class?

Many thousands of rounds a year. Some loaner experience with the DT-11. We are not talking about theory. We are talking about physical laws. You can’t overturn physical laws with shooter impressions. Impressions are worthless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:13 am 
Crown Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:

Perceived recoil has nothing to do with weight and action; it has EVERYTHING to do with FIT.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:38 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:

Perceived recoil has nothing to do with weight and action; it has EVERYTHING to do with FIT.

Agree that a gun that fits the shooter well will be much more comfortable to shoot with everything else equal. Nothing fun about getting hit in the cheek 100 times or having partial contact of stock to shoulder pocket.

Release Triggers by Phillip's Gunsmithing

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:53 pm 
Diamond Grade

Back to OP's question it is absolutely my experience that for dedicated target guns the DT kicks me more than others. I'm just one data point and my feelings surely aren't hurt if some don't believe me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:03 pm 
Limited Edition

oneounceload wrote:
birdhunter39 wrote:

How can you say that? Perceived recoil starts with real recoil. Real recoil results in perceived recoil. If there were no actual recoil, you would not perceive any. As real recoil increases, so does perceived recoil. Some factors can reduce perceived recoil but always yielding a result that is a fraction of real recoil, i.e. proportional to the actual total recoil. And actual total recoil has everything to do with weight of the gun, weight of the load, and velocity of the load. Good fit can certainly moderate the perception of recoil, but more recoil will result in more perceived recoil. That is just the way it is.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:07 pm 
Diamond Grade

Going down a rabbit hole here but i do think good fit is more important that a few ounces. As is a good recoil pad which, i think, acts to spread the recoil impulse in a similar fashion to the way a gas auto does.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Watch this slow motion shot of Kim Rhode. Look at the Recoil transfer (and her gun is made to fit her perfectly), and I heard her say She shoots 1000 rounds a day in practice.
https://youtu.be/MuwZ8mE09PY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:31 pm 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
Going down a rabbit hole here but i do think good fit is more important that a few ounces. As is a good recoil pad which, i think, acts to spread the recoil impulse in a similar fashion to the way a gas auto does.

I will go this far to meet you in the middle: 1) good fit is important to moderate the perception of the recoil that the gun weight, load weight, and shot velocity define and 2) good recoil pads are exceptionally valuable as moderators of perceived recoil.

Just remember that fitting modifications and recoil pads can be equally applied to any gun if cost is no issue. So assuming only well fit and pad equipped guns, comparing one to another re: perceived recoil still comes down to those three fundamental factors of gun weight, load weight and shot velocity. Of course I am not considering gas semi-auto systems which pile another perception moderating factor on top of the fit and recoil pad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:18 pm 
Diamond Grade

Looks like we are pretty close on this. I think still there is value in hearing from other shooters as to their experience with the same gun. unmodified is obviously a prerequisite to the info being of much use. and i suspect most folks dont want to take a chance on spending $$ to make a gun fit and thus shoot softer when there may be another option out there that fits the bill stock.