ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What snap caps for my 686?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:30 pm 
Field Grade

I read the manual for my Beretta 686 SP I Sporting and it said that I must relieve the tension on the hammer springs.

My first question is, is this true? Springs wear out from use, not being under pressure.

Second question is, would normal Tipton spring loaded snap caps work? They just like the Beretta OEM ones, and are also made in Italy.

Post subject: Re: What snap caps for my 686?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Cccollin545 wrote:
My first question is, is this true?

Not in my experience.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:29 pm 
Crown Grade

I like the snap caps with the wooly mop tops, just because.............

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:02 pm 
Crown Grade

That`s interesting. None of my gun manuals have ever mentioned spring tension that I can recall, much less that I " must" release said tension. Then again, I`ve never owned a gun as nice as a SP I.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:21 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'm still looking for a way to relieve the tension on my car engine's valve springs. Putting it up on jack stands every night takes care of the suspension springs.

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:56 pm 
Field Grade

I’ll take it as it does not matter and the money is better spent on shells lol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

Cccollin545 wrote:

I'll admit it... I have snap caps for both my 686s. :oops:

I like the A-Zoom brand aluminum ones for working through pumps and semis. They have the weight of a real shotshell. I also have the Pachmeyer plastic ones with the spring-loaded brass "primers". The A-Zooms just have the primer pocket area filled with a rubber or plastic. I don't know which is kinder to firing pins.

In my experience, the cheap MTM black plastic ones are a total waste of money.

At first, like you, I bought them to be able to safely relax my firing pins. Now, I use them for dry firing and for running through actions when making repairs, adjustments, function checks, etc. They are certainly not a bad thing to have on hand.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

desmobob wrote:
Cccollin545 wrote:

I'll admit it... I have snap caps for both my 686s. :oops:

I like the A-Zoom brand aluminum ones for working through pumps and semis. They have the weight of a real shotshell. I also have the Pachmeyer plastic ones with the spring-loaded brass "primers". The A-Zooms just have the primer pocket area filled with a rubber or plastic. I don't know which is kinder to firing pins.

In my experience, the cheap MTM black plastic ones are a total waste of money.

At first, like you, I bought them to be able to safely relax my firing pins. Now, I use them for dry firing and for running through actions when making repairs, adjustments, function checks, etc. They are certainly not a bad thing to have on hand.

I’ll go ahead and get a set of them to have around then, certainly can’t hurt. I just didn’t know if I should relax the springs or not, but for 10 bucks it’s cheap insurance.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:49 am 
Tournament Grade

I like the mop top snap caps, only because I shoot at night at a few ranges under the lights, and when I come back to my truck its always in the back of my mind when installing a snap cap that feels like a real shell, and if some strange reason a live shell was put in chamber and I blow a hole in the truck. So because of my brain and the way Im wired I use the mop top ones so I'm positive they are not live shells I throw in.

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:44 am 
Crown Grade

Canadian penny in front of the pin and let the hammer drop. Sometimes I use an American dime. All this happens after gun is broken down and before it goes into a case.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:20 am 
Crown Grade

Most modern firearms have no problem being dry fired. Take and old shell and deprime it. Insert and glue eraser in primer hole. Or just cock the hammers, remove the barrels and let the pins hit the eraser on the end of a pencil. You will need to bump the stock to get the second hammer to fall because of inertia trigger. Many accidents happen because of someone thinking they had a snap cap installed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:31 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Most modern firearms have no problem being dry fired. Take and old shell and deprime it. Insert and glue eraser in primer hole. Or just cock the hammers, remove the barrels and let the pins hit the eraser on the end of a pencil. You will need to bump the stock to get the second hammer to fall because of inertia trigger. Many accidents happen because of someone thinking they had a snap cap installed.

I think it`s probably accurate that snap caps aren`t an absolute requirement, although I find it interesting what the OP stated about his Beretta SP I manual using the term " must " concerning snap caps and spring tension. I got in the habit of using them years ago. I guess they are in the " can`t hurt " category. If not using A Zooms, you do need to be careful though.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I ALWAYS dry fire and take the tension of the firing pin springs. Not sure if it makes a difference, but since I use snap caps I don't think it could hurt.

I have the Tipton for some of my guns, works fine. I have more expensive maroon colored metal ones, I hate because the fall out way to easily. I also like the wolly mop ones. That is what you get from Kreighof when you buy a new gun. I always wondered if they would hold any moisture in the chamber but don't seem to be a problem.

You can also make your own. Cut the mouth off a used hull and deprime it then add some silicon to the primer hole. Let it fully set up and you have a cheap snap cap.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:55 pm 
Field Grade

I’ve had bad experience with the beretta caps and the fancy brass w rabbits foot ( Kevin’s etc) they sometimes get stuck on wrong side of ejector. I grab a couple of spent shells from a station and use those. I’ve had both I’ve mentioned get stuck in my 694 and SV10 had to cut brass rim to remove.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:35 pm 
Field Grade

The owner's manual for my Zoli Z gun reads:

"Note: ZOLI recommends the use of snap caps to relieve the pressure on the main springs when storing you shotgun for extended periods".

The Beretta over & under shotgun user manual is more specific:

"Decocking the Hammers

After unloading the shotgun and before putting it away, always decock the hammers to decompress the springs.

It is equally important not to decock the hammers by pulling the trigger on an unloaded shotgun without snap caps; the action could damage the firing pins.

To decock the hammers without damage to the firing pins, insert the special Beretta snap caps (fig. 25 available in gun stores). The snap caps allow the gun to be "dry fired".

* Load the gun as usual with the two snap caps.
* Pull the trigger to decock the first hammer.
* Move the selector, pull the trigger and decock the second hammer"

I use snap caps on all my handguns, rifles and shotguns and have for years. However, growing up and as a young man I never used them on anything. Are they necessary?
I doubt it since I never have had any problems with firing pin breakage in any of my guns before I used them. But, they are cheap and I put them in the "It can't hoit" category.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I use them more for dry fire practice but I have never had an issue just dry firing on an empty chamber to decock before storage. Gunsmiths do it all the time and they would know better than most. I prefer the A-Zoom snap caps especially if cycling them through an auto.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:50 am 
Presentation Grade

I have two different kinds of snap caps, I have the12 gauge wooly top ones with the brass bass, I don't like them, the fuzzy material gets stuck in the ejector and I end up spending more time picking the crap out, then I have some plastic ones with the spring and clear casing, Tipton I believe I scored them on amazon for $8.00 shipped. Those I used for 20 gauge for my Briley tub set, my next purchase on amazon with be the same Tipton snap caps but in 12 gauge so I have a matching set.

I use them when assembling my gun at the clubs when I get there, and then when I disassemble the gun after shooting for cleaning. Take your pick on if snap caps are for you, seems to be half a dozen one way, half a dozen the other.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:49 pm 
Field Grade

Never used snap caps in any of my silver pigeons, never had any issues. But this thread made me order a pack, why not if they cost like $10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

can't hurt right? I get that many have gone forever and a day without them and never felt the need to own them, when I got my new 692 I decided that if I'm going to own an over and under I might as well do it "right" get the snap caps, and get the tub of white lithium grease and treat the gun right.

While I can't say the same for my A400 Xcel and my A300 outlander.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"