ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DT-10 Safety
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:54 am 
Utility Grade

Hello everyone - I'm not sure if my shotgun has a problem or if it's me in my set-up/mount. My Dt-10 is a 2008 gun that has been ultra reliable for me and was shipped to Cole's for it's annual service in February.

Yesterday while out shooting sporting by myself, I had 10 plus instances of loading the gun with two shells and then - when moving to shoot, I pulled the trigger and nothing. I look down and either the safety is completely on or halfway on.

As this happened more, I consciously checked to make sure the safety was not engaged before calling for the target and consciously kept my right thumb away. It happened less but there were still 2-3 instances. Very frustrating to say the least!

Has anyone experienced this? I've searched for this issue online and found nothing.

Thinking of sending the gun back down to Cole's and asking them to pin or disable my safety... only problem there if pinned, it will likely prevent me from moving safety up to remove trigger group.

Advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: DT-10 Safety
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:34 am 
Crown Grade

Let someone else shoot the gun. Change the trigger group if someone else has one. That's a start. The dropout trigger is properly installed right? And the receiver is spotless and lubed? If all this is ok, I suspect the three-leaf spring under the safety/trigger release/slide. You need to be careful taking the trigger in and out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:36 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks It for your reply. I am the original owner of this DT-10 and I've never experienced the problem before. I'm very confident that the drop out trigger is installed correctly and I do have a spare (but never needed it). The gun is always cleaned and lubed after every shooting session but I typically don't remove the trigger group unless I'm doing a deep clean where I remove the stock from the receiver, blow it out with compressed air, drylube and compressed air again then reassembly. I do this twice a year or every 5000 targets.

While waiting for the first response to my post, I've been practicing my mounts in my home office while on a conference call. I've been loading snap caps, pulling the trigger, opening the gun, ejecting and reloading. No issues today so far - but I'm only worrying about that process and don't have my mind immersed in breaking targets at the same time.

I'm thinking that during a shooting session, I am inadvertently doing something with my right thumb that moves the safety downward (on) either upon opening or closing the gun. I will take your advice and ask someone to shoot the gun to see if the problem is mechanical. I have a registered event this weekend with the usual group of friends so I will also ask whomever is following me on the rotation to watch my right hand to see of something is happening that I'm not noticing.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:41 pm 
Crown Grade

No recoil involved in dry firing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:23 pm 
Utility Grade

"No recoil involved in dry firing."

It - Do you think the safety could move by itself from recoil? Never thought of that... the instances of "no bang" that I've noticed so far have been on first shot - not second.

In manipulating the safety, it still snaps on and off with effort and an audible click. Hmmm?

I'll be bringing the back-up gun on Sunday regardless in case it starts happening again. Once it starts, it'll be in my head all day.

Thanks for your thoughts!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Well if it's on the first shot only then something is causing the safety to move either from your hand, recoil or the impact of the gun opening/closing. You need to rule out operator error. Then go to the spring I mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:15 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have moved the barrel selector on mine by accident but never what you describe.

The eye of the master can do more work than both hands.

Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.