ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 390 stuck recoil tube
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:12 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks to those who suggested some spare parts and modifications to make to my new 390. I dove straight in with the sure cycle kit, and I’ve found that I cannot remove the recoil spring tube. I used many of the commonly suggested practices - padded vise, heat gun, adjustable vise-grips, and I cannot get the tube off the receiver. I thought I’d leave the tube and just replace the spring, but I can’t remove the cap at the other end either. I tried to put it all back together, and now the spring won’t come all the way forward in the tube (I probably bent it slightly out of alignment and now it’s hanging up.) I’m terrified I’ve turned an Italian work of art into a paperweight. Help!

Post subject: Re: 390 stuck recoil tube
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:03 am 
Presentation Grade

You don’t need to get the whole tube off the receiver, just the bolt at the bottom. Heat from a grill lighter is usually enough to melt the locktite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:23 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Agree with the post above. You only need to remove the threaded plug on the rear end of the recoil spring tube. Apply heat to the plug to remove. A cigarette lighter would probably do. Heat it until you get a little "puff" of smoke, then unscrew the plug immediately.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 am 
Diamond Grade

Ulysses wrote:
Agree with the post above. You only need to remove the threaded plug on the rear end of the recoil spring tube. Apply heat to the plug to remove. A cigarette lighter would probably do. Heat it until you get a little "puff" of smoke, then unscrew the plug immediately.
58PERAZZI wrote:
You don’t need to get the whole tube off the receiver, just the bolt at the bottom. Heat from a grill lighter is usually enough to melt the locktite

The SureCycle kit used to come with a stainless steel replacement tube. If you want to install it, you obviously need to remove the OEM tube...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:35 pm 
Crown Grade

The tube is threaded into the receiver, thread locked. You need to get the nut,spring and follower out first. Be careful, the spring is under tension. Insert a pin in the hole of the tube. The part is actually called the stock bolt tube. You will need to place the receiver in a soft jaw vise and carefully heat the tube (from the inside of the receiver) and unscrew the tube. Righty tight, lefty loose. As stated when you see the white puff of smoke the thread locker has released on the tube at the receiver. A heat gun isn't enough, try a soldering iron. You probably bent the tube already so you need to get it off the receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:23 am 
Field Grade

I changed one out and I used a torch on the stock tube a couple inches away from the receiver (do not direct heat at the receiver). I let the tube heat up enough so that the heat traveled and loosened the locktite. It was definitely tougher than I thought it would be, but I got it out.

Waylan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:30 pm 
Limited Edition

A lot of messing around with a gun that is drop dead reliable.