ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: older 686 onyx field compared to 3 1/2 chamber version
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:43 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hi,

Was there a weight difference between the 686 black onyx field guns with regular 3" chambers and the waterfowl version with the 3 1/2 inch chambers they made for a little while.

not talking about the ones with the ugly enhanced grain pattern if they makes any difference.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: older 686 onyx field compared to 3 1/2 chamber version
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Never weighed one. But quite a few years back I handled a 3 1/2" Oynx in a gun store. It felt heavy to me. and the gun store owner said it was not selling because of the weight. So I think yes the 3.5 inch will be noticeably heavier than the 3".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:53 am 
Diamond Grade

Being a 686 owner, I recall this very question being asked before. However, I don't remember the conclusion. A phone call to Cole's should resolve it.

Although a pattern board with each individual gun is the only definitive answer, there has also been some varying opinions as to the performance of 2 3/4 shells fired in a 3 1/2 chamber.

3 1/2 inch O/Us seem to have not been very popular. Most hunters feeling they need that large capacity hull opt for a semi auto. Third shot available, and the possibility of perceived recoil attenuation.

I don't hunt waterfowl or anything larger than pheasant anymore, so I have no interest in a 3 1/2 inch boomer. I always felt more than comfortable with 3 inch at the most, as well as 2 3/4. many times. Even when I was hunting geese, ducks, and turkey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I am not interested in running any 3 1/2 inch shells though an over under, pump or any automatic for that matter.

saw one for sale and thought maybe if the only difference was the chamber, might be worth it for a field gun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:29 pm 
Diamond Grade

Good luck deciding and if you get it, enjoy.

I wish I could help you out and remember whether there was a weight difference or not. I considered one myself once when I happened upon it in a used rack.

I know for sure the patterning qualities have been discussed here. I do recall one poster said his 3 1/2 inch 686 patterned fine with 2 3/4 shells. Others, thought not.
But I don't remember if the others had done patterning or were citing something they'd heard or citing someone else's patterning results.

I don't remember the couple 3 1/2 inch 686 guns I've handled over the years feeling particilarly heavy.

Again, good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:20 am 
Diamond Grade

I had a Citori 3.5”. I believe it was heavier than a standard one. The recoil from the 3.5” was noticeably harder, but for a dozen or shots on a goose hunt, it was tolerable to me.