ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DT-11 Safety Catch issue - engaging on recoil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:16 am 
Tournament Grade

I have two DT-11 and my Sporting Black recently developed a strange problem. On the first shot the safety engages apparently from the recoil and it then does not allow for the second shot to be fired. This doesn't happen all the time, but some days it is persistent. I called Cole and they believe it could be the safety catch spring, but I checked it as you can see and inspect it with the trigger group out and it looks fine. Plus comparing the force needed to engage it, it feels just a tight as the one on my other DT-11 so I doubt that is the reason. I checked the action out with the trigger group out and everything looks fine. Anyone here can help? Thank you!

DT-11 Sptg Black B-Fast - DT-11 Sptg B-Fast - 692 Black B-Fast - A400 Sptg. Black - CG Invictus VII - F/N B25 Broadway Trap - Browning 725 Sptg. NP & A5 Ultimate & A5 Hunter - CZ Sharptail Target - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe - Rem. 11-87 SP 3G

Post subject: Re: DT-11 Safety Catch issue - engaging on recoil
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Please clarify. Is it correct they you are sure it is the safety switch engaging that prevents the firing? Does disengaging it solve the problem? We have recently seen other reports like this that were actually caused by other things. Just trying to help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:18 am 
Tournament Grade

Yes, I am sure. Something during the first shot engaged the safety and then the second shot cannot be fired. Yesterday during five stand on reporting pairs I had enough time to disengage the safety and then could fire the second shot. On some days shooting this does not happen at all, but yesterday again it was persistent. I am stumped. What have you found?

DT-11 Sptg Black B-Fast - DT-11 Sptg B-Fast - 692 Black B-Fast - A400 Sptg. Black - CG Invictus VII - F/N B25 Broadway Trap - Browning 725 Sptg. NP & A5 Ultimate & A5 Hunter - CZ Sharptail Target - TriStar TT-15 CTA DeLuxe - Rem. 11-87 SP 3G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:31 am 
Presentation Grade

Alex D wrote:
Yes, I am sure. Something during the first shot engaged the safety and then the second shot cannot be fired. Yesterday during five stand on reporting pairs I had enough time to disengage the safety and then could fire the second shot. On some days shooting this does not happen at all, but yesterday again it was persistent. I am stumped. What have you found?

Sorry. My experience was when it was really NOT the safety. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:41 am 
Tournament Grade

Auldthymer wrote:
Alex D wrote:

Ok. That is interesting. Can you tell what you experienced? Would be interested and learn from it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have not taken the stock of the action but checked the internals out with the trigger group removed and compared it to my other DT and everything looks fine and is tight. I wonder about the safety spring but it feels fine. The only difference I can feel is that it takes significantly more force to push the safety forward to remove the trigger on my working DT11 vs the DT11 Black that has this problem.

Is taking the butt stock of a DT-11 tricky or straightforward? I read somewhere that they are set with bedding compound and I don't want to disturb that. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Alex D wrote:
Auldthymer wrote:
Alex D wrote:

Ok. That is interesting. Can you tell what you experienced? Would be interested and learn from it.

It is common for guns, even those with a mechanically set trigger rather than inertially set, to not transfer to the second barrel after firing the first. Sometimes people mistakenly think the safety is the problem. But it sounds like in your case it really is the safety.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Just use the same 6mm hex head tool you'd use to pull the stock on a 68x series.

Release the lever first so you don't mar the stock.

Personally I like to use the stock bolt to push out the receiver rather than remove the bolt and try to wiggle the receiver out of the stock. You might have to loosen the bolt 3 or 4 turns and then give the back of the tool a swat to push the receiver forward.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Taking the stock off is easy and I have never saw anything resembling bedding compound on 4 different Beretta O/Us that I own.

To remove the DT11 stock from your receiver 1) remove forearm and barrels, 2) move opening lever to the center position (if you skip this step you can easily ding your wood when separating the stock from the receiver), 3) remove butt plate with Phillips screwdriver (I put just a little Vaseline on the end of the screwdriver to avoid damaging the rubber on the buttplate), 4) loosen stock bolt with tool provided about 1-2 turns and then lightly tap on end of tool with a small hammer or mallet then repeat until you see the receiver separating from the stock and until you can easily start pushing the receiver out of the stock by pushing the tool with your hand as you loosen the bolt, and finally 5) finish by gently pulling the receiver straight away from the stock by hand. I like to keep the stock removal tool in the stock bolt to keep that bolt and washers from falling out of the stock and losing their correct orientation.

When reassembling, go slow and make sure everything is in alignment as you tighten the stock bolt. The stock bolt should be firmly tight but not gorilla tight. Once again, make sure the opening lever is in the center position for both disassembly and reassembly.

Clean everything on the receiver good while you have the stock off. I pull the stock off first thing whenever I get a new gun and it's amazing how dirty they come from the factory.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks guys! I will do that tonight and let you know ...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:19 am 
Tournament Grade

Took the gun apart last night and spent two hours inspecting everything ... it's a mystery ... everything looks and works perfectly. THE DT action is not complicated at all and the safety mechanism works as designed. Unless it is an issue in the trigger group I can't find anything in the action. The gun only has 2500 shells through it so all is like new. I am going to take my other two trigger groups along next time; one Cole mechanical for my sub-gauge tubes and the other one out of my regular DT sporting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm curious if you were ever able to figure this out Alex?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I think so .... Upon taking the Black apart nothing looked out of order ... the DT action is really very simple. I took my other DT-11 apart to compare. That one had 10,000 shells through it since I bought it new so I thought I'd clean it up too. What I noticed was that the pin that holds the safety lever against the safety spring is a tight press fit in my other DT-11. In the Black, it was loose and I could just pull it out with my fingers. You can see it in the attached picture at the bottom of the safety slide against the spring. Inspecting the pin it also looked slightly bent and had a wear spot. The pin is 2mm dia. but I think the pinhole is also just a tiny bit worn. I bought some 2.5mm SS furniture pins on amazon and machined one down to 2.11mm which sits tightly in the hole and mounted everything with a tiny dab of super glue on the pin. Haven't had an issue since.

Picture: https://imgur.com/yNbv4pe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:29 am 
Tournament Grade

Sounds like some good applied ingenuity to both understand and solve the problem. Nice!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've shot a couple of rounds 5 stand now and the issue is not recurring. Let's see, but I think this was it. I think it was an issue of Beretta's questionable quality control even on DT guns. Thsi Black only had 2500 shells through it when this started. I have my issues with my other DT too. Still love the fit and the action of the DT, but Beretta has long not been what it was in past times.