ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 694 Buyer Remorse?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Went to check out the new 694 and after finding it fit good and looked good, I was able to choose one with nice wood and take it home. I didn't remove the contents from plastic for close inspection, just assumed since it's unopened and I can see the wood grain all is well. Let's just say the fit and finish was not what I expected for paying this much on a gun. First thing I noticed upon unwrapping was a tiny ding on the edge of the rib toward the action. The ding is all blued so seems like was there before any final boxing up prep but who knows. Next thing I notice when looking down the barrel is that the top barrel actually appears bent to the right or bowed in the middle to the left. Plus the rib appears the same, bowed in the middle to the left. It's slight but noticeable. I have a 686 sporting so I got it out to compare ribs. The 686 rib looks true and straight, I know they taper 10mm to 8mm but the 686 looks straight while the 694 looks bowed. I patterned it (only 1 shot from both barrels so not a great conclusion) and the shot patterns were to the right of aim by maybe 6". Then I noticed when bringing it home and cleaning it that the action where it joins the forearm isn't flush. The iron on the forearm sticks out on one side and is sunk in on the other so it's not centered together. Also, the final nitpick is the stock finish, whoever stained it did poor blotchy in one area and a very dark stain drop on the front. Shot a few rounds of skeet and it felt fine and shot fine but damn, I just dropped close to 4k on this gun and wanted to be super proud of what I bought, not sure what to do...

Post subject: Re: New 694 Buyer Remorse?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:13 pm 
Crown Grade

You bought it, you shot it, you own it!
Always fully inspect before purchasing!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:57 pm 
Crown Grade

With a new gun I would shoot from a rest to check barrel regulation. Your mount might not be perfected yet with a new gun. For the cosmetic stuff check with who sold you the gun. Was it a demo on the shelf or rack at any time?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:08 pm 
Crown Grade

razir66 wrote:
I just dropped close to 4k on this gun and wanted to be super proud of what I bought, not sure what to do...
I feel for you and I'm sure you don't need any more posts suggesting you're in some way to blame for expecting the gun to be of a good standard.

Having spent some years as a Beretta fan, only to be sold a brand new gun that should never have passed even a cursory quality check, I changed my allegiance to a competitor brand. There was a period from about 8-9 years ago when Beretta's quality department apparently went AWOL and I thought they'd improved since then but perhaps not. Either way they've lost my business forever.

I'd suggest taking it up with the dealer in first instance. Depending on their attitude you might not have to take it up directly with Beretta.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:55 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

razir66 wrote:
not sure what to do...

What did the dealer say?

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Maybe I’m just being too critical. It is near impossible to see the curve of rib unless you look down the barrel, I even question if it’s illusion since this has the longer bored barrel maybe the exterior will just be different. Check the pics see what you think.

https://imgur.com/a/oUYTpF0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:45 pm 
Limited Edition

After looking at your pics. The only thing that would bug me is the forearm iron. But if I shot it well, it wouldn't bug me much.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:15 pm 
Crown Grade

You say the barrel is bent but yet you shoot a few rounds of skeet with the gun? You say you hand picked the wood but then complain about the finish? Something doesn't sound right. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:20 pm 
Tournament Grade

I said ‘appears bent’. Yea I shot it because once I took it home no returns and beretta warranty is my only option. I shot it to see if anything was actually off or not. I looked at the wood grain through the bag, didn’t obsess over every square inch as I probably should have. Like I said, expected better fit and finish for a gun in this price range without having to be the QC that’s all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:24 am 
Crown Grade

You didn't at least take the gun out of the case and put it together and check it before taking delivery? :shock: And the dealer didn't check the gun over with you when you took delivery?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Yep ane yep. Lesson learned for me, that's for sure! I bought my silver pigeon used and it's a peach, just figured why wouldn't this be as well. It fits great and shot well so after some more patterning, if all is well I'll just end up shooting it and be ok with it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

it's a sporting gun.........it will get the usual dings and nicks not that the intention of that comment is to make you feel any better.

I put a nice gash in my 692 stock this year while at the north central regional, I went to move my gun from the golf cart it was on the passenger side, I was on the driver side.....stock meet metal gas pedal with cheese grater like "grippers"

used my wifes colored pencils for art that apparently get sharpened by a unicorn while being lubed with the tears of our fore fathers..............she was not too happy......me on the other hand, can't tell that my stock was nicked and damaged.

I feel your pain.......no new gun is perfect, but you did spend a good chunk of coin on a gorgeous gun and like many here you wanted and expected it too be perfect.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Nice wood. Looking at the pictures I did not see any reason for concern. If I thought the rib or barrel looked curved I would certainly pattern the gun fairly extensively to see how it shot. How the surface is polished could affect how it looks. If the barrels pattern close to each other all is well. I also would spend some time with a good straightedge just to check on my eyeball evaluation. Buyers remorse goes away with a little shooting. If not, trade it away. You will not loose a whole lot on the deal. I love my SP1 too. But I had to put a adjustable comb on it to get it to shoot where I wanted it to. That is because of my build rather than any fault of the gun. Think about that option while you are patterning and shooting your new gun.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

The only thing I can see in those pics that would bother me is the ding in the rib, that's not acceptable IMHO, but it isn't the end of the world, just annoyance. Beretta wood sucks unless you are getting a SO or EELL. I never expect to be pleased with wood on most any Beretta and for a Sporting gun I wouldn't care too much about it's appearance as it will certainly get banged around.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:26 am 
Utility Grade

Hey OP, if it makes you feel any better, I noticed my new 695 has a small deviation in the rib like yours. As I took it out of the case to double check it tonight, I almost dropped the barrels from the action as I opened the breech to take it apart. This caused two small dings in my nice stock.

I am now even more determined to shoot the hell out of this thing to get my money's worth!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I am going to tell you what to do since you are "not sure".

1) pattern the gun to see if there are any concerns about barrel regulation. If so, send it to back to Beretta. Take a straight edge and check the rib. If it is truly bent in the horizontal plane sed the gun back to Beretta.

2) pattern the gun for POI and make any adjustments you need. I had to add an adjustable comb to my SP1.

3) Put 10,000 rounds through it just as fast as you can.

4) Set it up on the rack at shoots and listen to all the admiring comments.

5) Wear it out enough for a tune up and a refinish if you can.

6) If none of this seems to work for you put the gun up right now for sale at a decent price reduction and watch a happy buyer get it. If you are just not going to be happy with the gun it might be worth the small loss.