ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 687 Inertia trigger acts different depending on barrel.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:05 am 
Field Grade

Hello

I figure it is just in need of some cleaning in the action, but just wanted to get an idea of what I will be looking at.

I got a used 687 that when the safety is set to one dot (bottom first iirc.), it will fire both barrels with a snapcap or dry fire. If you set it to 2 dots and try it it has a heavy Inertia and needs a good wack on the recoil pad to set the next trigger.

Just checking on whats up. My guess is that the inertia system for the one trigger is gummed up, and once I clean the receiver out it will be just at light as the other.

Thanks all!

Last edited by George Z on Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: super light but also heavy inertia trigger on old 687?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:42 pm 
Field Grade

Here is some images of the trigger mechanism, It looks stock from what I have seen online? looked pretty clean but soaking it in hoppes 9 then cleaning it. will see if it become light on both settings.

Post subject: Re: super light but also heavy inertia trigger on old 687?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:43 am 
Field Grade

So I finished cleaning it and it still acts the same, it is like the Inertia block acts different when set to the top barrel first.

With the bottom barrel first it will reset the trigger with just a snapcap as long as the gun is not pointing down, if I point it down it will need a good tap on the recoil pad.

With the top barrel first it will not reset the trigger at all unless I give it a good wack on the recoil pad.

It shot fine but I brain farted and forgot to use the top barrel first a few times. Will test that later this week.

Post subject: Re: 687 Inertia trigger acts different depending on barrel.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it works with live shells then it is fine. Not necessary for it to work with snap cap. Mine will not reset when shooting 3/4 oz loads (12 gauge) but works fine with 7/8 oz and up. If it does not work with 1 oz and above then you have a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

George,

As Bill said, if it works properly with live ammo, that's what counts. You might try soaking the action in mineral spirits which is a little stronger solvent than Hoppes 9. Then lubricate well with lightweight oil or Breakfree CLP.

It may need a new inertia block spring, but again, if it works properly with live ammo, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is the trigger pull weight about the same with both triggers? If not, it may be a sear spring or sear engagement that needs attention.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

What gauge is this gun? I know that 687's in 12 and 20 ga have inertial triggers, but my baby frame SPV 28ga has mechanical triggers; this must be a work around the relatively light loads. Clearly there is some sort of malfunction in your gun, but it may be different than you might expect in the event you have a 28 or .410. Good luck!

Post subject: 687 Inertia trigger acts different depending on barrel.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 pm 
Diamond Grade

The inertial triggers can be modified to work with no shells. I had a 20/28 frame modified. It now will change barrels by just pulling the trigger. Supposedly all it takes is reshaping the inertia block.

The same gun had an issue of not always resetting on one barrel. When watching the motion you could see why. A smith ground a little more clearance and it’s been fine ever since.