ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: used 680 barrels?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:07 am 
Field Grade

Hello all

I heard that when the barrels are used you may not be able to make it fit a different receiver? How does this work out, and what should I look for if I am on the market ( later, not this sec ) for a used barrel?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: used 680 barrels?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:53 am 
Crown Grade

Couple things I've seen. Ejectors are timed to fire when the bottom bbl clears the receiver by removing small amounts of material from the tips that ride on the forearm levers. If your used bbls have too much material taken off the tips of the ejectors you won't get them timed properly. New ejectors are a couple hundred bucks each to have fit.

The back face of the bbl lug is set to control forearm pressure on the shoulders. If its too short it will require a weld build up to redefine that surface.

There may be other issues, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:51 pm 
Field Grade

John H wrote:
Couple things I've seen. Ejectors are timed to fire when the bottom bbl clears the receiver by removing small amounts of material from the tips that ride on the forearm levers. If your used bbls have too much material taken off the tips of the ejectors you won't get them timed properly. New ejectors are a couple hundred bucks each to have fit.

The back face of the bbl lug is set to control forearm pressure on the shoulders. If its too short it will require a weld build up to redefine that surface.

There may be other issues, but those are the ones I'm aware of.

Ok, Thanks for the info on it all.

John H wrote:
New ejectors are a couple hundred bucks each to have fit.

Little pricey! Aside from the barrel fitting, do the ejectors tend to be a expected wear part? If I decided to convert them to extractors is it also ~200 each? ( I know ejectors are the thing, I know how to catch them easily, I just really don't like them my self)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:54 am 
Crown Grade

To make extractors they grind the forearm levers to a different profile, no change to the ejectors.

Some folks cut a couple coils off of the ejector springs, but that gives you weak ejectors not extractors.

I've known a couple people that have sent their guns in for new ejectors. They had a lot of miles on them though.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I did what you are attempting to do and ended up buying a new old stock barrel for my 687 Silver Pigeon V. I called Coles before I made any decisions and was told that a used barrel may or may not be able to be fitted to my gun depending upon how much metal was originally removed to fit the barrel to it's original receiver. I then called Griffin & Howe and was told that they could fit a new barrel but would not try to fit a used barrel. So, with the professional advice leaning in the negative direction I decided to buy a new barrel. With it, all went well. It doesn't cost anything to make some calls and ask the shop that you will be using to fit your barrel and see what advice they have for you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:54 pm 
Crown Grade

And they may just drop in and be fine. You won't really know until you try. I know several people that have bought used bbls with no problem. I only know of one or two cases where it didn't work well.

One of Many

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

John H wrote:
And they may just drop in and be fine. You won't really know until you try. I know several people that have bought used bbls with no problem. I only know of one or two cases where it didn't work well.

Used barrels are reasonable in initial cost, however, if you happen to be the unlucky one who's used barrel cannot be fitted to your frame you are out the cost of the barrel plus another barrel to try again. It is a gamble.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, its a gamble. But, they can be resold so its not a total risk.

One of Many