ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 XCel Multitarget drop adjustment?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:11 am 
Utility Grade

With the adjustable comb set at its lowest point I still have to really struggle with my mount position to see neutral rib. I must have a 5 gallon bucket head or something :(

Is there ANY adjustment available in drop for the multitarget stock thru spacers a la every single other A400 model? I noticed the plastic spacer between stock and receiver is marked 42.5 and the metal plate is marked 45/40. does that mean there is a 45 plastic spacer?

Can I use the 50/65 or 55/60 spacer/plate sets? Maybe using the mildest drop 50dx combination if the Multitarget stock is indeed designed and intended to not be dropped normally? I think with just another 5mm of drop things would be far more natural/comfortable.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: A400 XCel Multitarget drop adjustment?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:21 am 
Utility Grade

The drop plate and shim are used as a set. If the drop plate says 40/45 the shim must also be 40/45. To get the lowest drop when installing you would see 45 at the top of both (DX if right-handed) when viewing from the butt of the stock. The 55/60 set (used for field guns) is the same as 40/45 (used for "target" or competition guns). You can use a 50/65 set on the Multi-Target.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:21 pm 
Utility Grade

al390 wrote:
The drop plate and shim are used as a set. If the drop plate says 40/45 the shim must also be 40/45. To get the lowest drop when installing you would see 45 at the top of both (DX if right-handed) when viewing from the butt of the stock. The 55/60 set (used for field guns) is the same as 40/45 (used for "target" or competition guns). You can use a 50/65 set on the Multi-Target.

The plastic spacer between the receiver and stock is marked 42.5dx and 42.5sx so I think that they just split the difference for the 40/45 plate in the set, I’m not sure (I’ve never worked with adjustable cast and drop before)

If you’re certain the 50/65 set will work on my MultiTarget, that’s GREAT NEWS for me! Thank you al390! :) I ordered sets 55/60 and 50/65 already and they’re on their way. With the fine tuning of the adjustable comb I’m really excited to optimize my fit! LOP is already perfect :)

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:16 am 
Utility Grade

dho112, please post how the 50/65 set works. When I used the 50/65 setup (50 shim and plate) on MultiTarget factory stock, I could not get the stock high enough unless I used longer posts and lots of spacers. I am now using an after-market stock with a higher comb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I just got the 55/60 shim/spacer set in the mail. The 50/65 is coming later today.

I've been getting slightly conflicting information about how and if the spacer sets for the "A400" series will work for the MultiTarget (That particular gun in the A400 series is never specifically called out) whereas all the others are. It's been a little frustrating and confusing.

Hopefully this information will help someone in the future.

My Multitarget's stock plastic shims I have picture in the attached. The plastic spacer is designated T-42.5-DX and T-42.5-SX for right handed and left handed shooters respectively.

The metal plate is designated T-40-DX, T-40-SX and T-45-DX, T-45-SX depending on how it is of course, flipped. I am not certain why it is designated 40 or 45 since I have never been able to find 40 or 45 plastic spacers. Just the 42.5 one that comes with the gun stock, and appears to split the difference.

With the stock spacer and plate installed the front and rear of the adjustable stock comb are roughly parallel with the top of the rib when the rib is set to it's highest setting at the front bore (where the shotgun throws a pattern of 50/50 for me at 20 yards) The drop measures approximately 41 millimeters at the front and at the back of the adjustable comb.

It appears that the stock plastic spacer (between the stock and receiver) has NO drop adjustability built in it, and only adjustability for cast. Caliper measurements are exactly the same at the top of the spacer and the bottom, 1.60mm. Left and right of the spacer shows cast difference of 1.75mm on one side and 1.50mm on the other. So, again, the factory plastic spacer appears to adjust for left and right hand, but NOT for drop. I assume they are relying on the cast built into the stock itself. Depending on if you buy a left or right hand model.

The 55/60 shim/spacer set has identical cast but significantly more drop adjustment; top to bottom difference in spacer thickness is .5mm and left to right difference of.3mm.

I installed the new set for C-60-DX config and now have about 4mm more of cast off measured from the butt of the stock and the front of the adjustable comb is at 44mm of drop, and the rear of the comb is at 45-46mm. An increase in drop of about 4mm.

The comfort of the stock for me is nearly PERFECT! and mounting it gives me a spot on sightline down the top of the rib :) and I'm pretty happy :) When the 50/65 shim/spacer set comes in later today I will try that one and I think it will drop the stock a little too low for my mount, but I will just just add a few of the spacers to raise up the comb a tiny bit and even use one more spacer in the rear peg of the comb to level it out again with the rib. It felt like a waste to have an adjustable comb bottomed out anyway LoL! If I go for the alternative of figure eight Mid and front bead, seeing some of the top of the rib, that will be easy to gain with just a few more spacers...

More measurements later.

p.s. It still makes me nervous that the sets have a C and T designation. I'm hoping I'm not messing anything up, but I did ensure that when I push the stock flush against the back of the receiver, the long metal shaft is dead center in the metal plate hole and not bending or twisting or missing the hole one way or the other. I'm assuming it's pulling the stock tight with no differential force that might crack the stock... Fingers crossed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:51 am 
Utility Grade

dho112, there is a 40/45 shim. If you compared the 40/45 shim to the 55/60 you would see that they are identical. There is a slight difference in width (not taper) between the 390/391 shims and those for the 400's. (The drop plates as the same.) The 400 shims are slightly wider as the 400 receivers are a bit wider. Other than the designation there is no difference between the T and C sets. You now have a proper combination shim/drop plate, whereas your 42.5 shim was not the correct one to use with a 40/45 drop plate.