ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Disconnecting the Automatic Safety on a 686 SPII 28 GA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:19 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Last Christmas my bride gave me a beautiful Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon II in 28 GA. I was able to use it on several occasions shooting sporting clays and 5 stand. I really like the shotgun. However, I was spoiled by my 686 Silver Pigeon II Sporting which does not automatically engage the safety on opening the breech. There has been a "few" engagements that I missed due to forgetting to disengage the safety.

I know it is simply removing a link that connect the safety to the latch. I removed the buttstock and can see the link. My question is if the receiver needs to be separated in order to remove the link? Or is it possible to remove the link by simply de-cocking the hammers, removing the hammer springs and then access the link?

Thanks

Texas Parks and Wildlife Hunter Education Instructor

Post subject: Re: Disconnecting the Automatic Safety on a 686 SPII 28 GA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:52 pm 
Utility Grade

You have to take the receiver apart. (drop the trigger unit)
There is a washer and screw that retain the link.
There is also loctite on the screw that is under the safety. (Learned this the hard way... took me a hot minute though!)
If you have the right screwdrivers and some time, it's not really hard. Just tedious.
If you want instructions, PM me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have read that you can cut / dremel off the part , you just Need to avoid metal shavings that can drop into the action.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:38 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

58PERAZZI wrote:
I have read that you can cut / dremel off the part , you just Need to avoid metal shavings that can drop into the action.

That's how I did mine several years ago and never a hick-up

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I really appreciate the responses. I will take apart the receiver. Mainly because my Dremel skills are not that good. I do have the thin screw driver bits from Brownell's and they worked when I needed to take apart my 12 GA Silver Pigeon. I will let you guys know how things work out.

Thanks again for the information.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

I don't know how different the 28 is from a 12, but below is a link to an excellent video showing how to take apart the 12ga. It goes deeper than just the part to disable the automatic safety, but if you ever want to restore the automatic safety for hunting then this is definitely the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j80PBu1X__M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Thanks for that link. I succeeded this morning. I got the receiver apart and have the shotgun re-assembled now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:11 pm 
Crown Grade

Road Man wrote:
I don't know how different the 28 is from a 12, but below is a link to an excellent video showing how to take apart the 12ga. It goes deeper than just the part to disable the automatic safety, but if you ever want to restore the automatic safety for hunting then this is definitely the way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j80PBu1X__M

In over 50 years of shotgun use I have disabled at least a dozen auto reset safeties on various guns. I will not live long enough to see the time when I need to reverse that process.

I agree with the OP, auto reset safeties are worthless and at best, an annoyance. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

I am not a fan of them either but I only have field 68x guns and I have grown accustom to flicking them off as I raise the gun for a flush. It's pretty much a muscle memory auto response at this point. I have to flick the safeties off on my autos as well so I have gotten over it. I would have it removed on a sporting gun, no doubt, but I don't mind it afield.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:29 pm 
Crown Grade

I had a smith do mine years ago before I figured out how to do it correctly. He did the dremel approach.

A word of caution. There must have been concern raised about being able to fire the gun before the action was fully closed. At some point (early 90's maybe) manual safety guns were fitted with a hammer block that prevents the gun from firing before its fully closed. If your tang has a small hole bored through it side to side just in front of the safety switch - thats for the pin required to mount the hammer block. My ancient 686 12 ga. field gun does not have the hole. Personally I think its unnecessary, but keep in mind that it is possible to fire the gun with the action unlocked if you don't have the hammer block.

Eta. My 686 sp1. 28 ga field gun does have the hole in the tang. I haven't decided if I'm going to disable the auto safety or not on this one. I kind of like it on a field gun.

Block parts are 86, 101, and 102 on the brownells schematics (middle window bottom of page)

https://www.brownells.com/schematics/beretta-/686-silver-pigeon-competition-sid894.aspx

One of Many

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:56 am 
Limited Edition

I'm with the majority on this issue. I do not like the Beretta auto safety. I have disabled four of them using the barbaric approach of simply bending the link with a pliers til I could pull it out. They are made of pretty soft metal.