ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for some O/U advice
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:00 pm 
Field Grade

Hello all,

I haven't been back to the site in a loooong time, but I would like some advice on O/U shotguns. I'm specifically looking to pick up a 686 silver pigeon I 20g. I have been shooting my A301-M 20g for the last two hunting seasons, mostly quail and dove, but I did have a chance to take it on one duck hunt this year. I shoot this particular gun better than my 390 Sporting, 3901 (previously my main gun) or 303-M.

Looking at the specs that I can find on the new 686 SP, and taking some brief measurements from my 301, it seems the two have similar dimensions. I will admit that I am not experienced with O/U's though. I have only ever shot one O/U and that was a Winchester 101. What I am curious about is, since the drop and LOP are similar between both guns, how different would the shooting experience from one to the other be? I want to get an O/U that I can shoot as well as the 301, but I understand I might not get that without some work.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Looking for some O/U advice
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Dimension listings on their site leave a lot to be desired. If I were you I would handle and try mount a 686 before committing to one; they are a nice O/U, but don't fit everybody.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:04 pm 
Field Grade

I would love to try out a bunch of O/U’s, I’m going to have to wait for awhile it seems. No one has any in stock anywhere around me at the moment. It’s not a big deal though, just more time to save up money. That’s why I was asking about the similar dimensions.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

With respect to your question about a potential difference in shooting experience, other than fit, the most obvious thing I see is the difference in recoil between a locked breech gun and an auto loader. For many shooters the sense of recoil is less with an automatic. Personally, using the same shells between both, I feel less recoil with an auto compared to an O/U. This is not necessarily detrimental however. I shoot my O/Us better than my autos. Another potential difference may be balance. You would have to determine that yourself. But, balance is important to me in that it effects the movement of the gun and swing. Balance is very individualized and we don’t all sense it the same way. Weight maybe another consideration. It is considered in conjunction with balance. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:09 am 
Field Grade

Yeah, I expected a little more recoil from the O/U. I think what I’m really after is can I expect a similar fit since the dimensions are similar. I’m just going to wait until some come back in stock later this year and go try some out. The only place close to me that I can try any will be Bass Pro and our local store doesn’t have anything in stock, Beretta or otherwise.