ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DT11 sear spring broken
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

With a little over 17k rounds since new in Jan 2020, the lower barrel sear spring on my DT11 broke on me yesterday. Once home, it took me about 30 seconds to get the broken spring out and a new one will go in just as quickly. New $4 spring (and a few spares) should be here by Wednesday so I should be back up and running in a few days. I also ordered two spare hammer springs to keep on hand when/if needed.

A couple questions for other DT10/DT11 owners - Have you experienced this failure and if yes how frequently? Any other DT11 springs or parts I should consider keeping on-hand as spares?

Post subject: Re: DT11 sear spring broken
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:30 am 
Crown Grade

DT10 owner. I dont know how many rounds through my gun. I have a spare set of hammer springs and a couple other springs but I've never had any break. I did have to replace the top lever spring a while back. That was a difficult spring to replace.

One of Many

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:54 pm 
Limited Edition

No broken anything on mine since I got it in mid '18. It was new to me, not new but couldn't have been shot much because JEG sold it to the previous owner 4 months before that and he had it at Briley for a couple months for tube sets. I shot over 9K registered targets in '19 and that number for practice. I didn't shoot as much last year.

I did send it to Coles in December '19 and they replaced some springs during periodic maintenance.

I got a spare trigger for it when I bought it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:10 pm 
Crown Grade

No experience with broken springs; my DT-11 came with a spare trigger

Where did you get the spare springs from? @$4, picking up a few extra should be wise.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:54 pm 
Tournament Grade

Brownell's for the spare springs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Thanks!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Wish the main springs were $4; those are $53

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:03 pm 
Crown Grade

There is a vendor on trapshooters, primarily perazzi parts I think, but he has dt10/dt11 hammer springs available. Don Rackley at donrackleygunparts.com. I got my spare hammer springs from him.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

That's why they sell you an extra trigger group. Springs break.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:47 am 
Tournament Grade

Talked to Coles this morning and they have an upgraded sear spring that is supposed to be more durable for $7.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:13 pm 
Presentation Grade

shacked wrote:
With a little over 17k rounds since new in Jan 2020, the lower barrel sear spring on my DT11 broke on me yesterday. Once home, it took me about 30 seconds to get the broken spring out and a new one will go in just as quickly. New $4 spring (and a few spares) should be here by Wednesday so I should be back up and running in a few days. I also ordered two spare hammer springs to keep on hand when/if needed.

A couple questions for other DT10/DT11 owners - Have you experienced this failure and if yes how frequently? Any other DT11 springs or parts I should consider keeping on-hand as spares?

I’ve had one or two sear springs break and one hammer spring break in about 80,000 shells through my DT10.

All are very easy to change on your bench at home.

I’d recommend buying a half dozen sear springs and a pair of extra hammer springs and you should be set for life.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

Those springs and quantities are exactly what I ordered paracord.

I received the new springs yesterday and replaced both sear springs with new. Very quick and easy job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:29 am 
Presentation Grade

shacked wrote:
Those springs and quantities are exactly what I ordered paracord.

I received the new springs yesterday and replaced both sear springs with new. Very quick and easy job.

Good stuff.

The hammer springs seem to be much less likely to break, however I had one go on me. They are only a little tougher to replace than the sear springs.

You should be all set.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:24 am 
Crown Grade

A while back,I ordered sear springs and hammer springs from Coles,as a precaution.I also have a spare trigger.There is a video on u-tube on how to replace the springs,but it is in Japanese.The process is pretty much,straight forward,if you watch it done a few times?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:52 am 
Tournament Grade

I've watched the Japanese video multiple times and believe that I could easily replace a broken hammer spring in minutes at my workbench.

Here is a link to the video for reference: https://youtu.be/8F1K5xKdC5c

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:54 am 
Presentation Grade

creeker wrote:
A while back,I ordered sear springs and hammer springs from Coles,as a precaution.I also have a spare trigger.There is a video on u-tube on how to replace the springs,but it is in Japanese.The process is pretty much,straight forward,if you watch it done a few times?

Yes it is. There's actually another video somewhere on YouTube where Rich Cole is changing a trigger group to mechanical reset....watch that one because in it he strips down the trigger group and you can see him removing the springs and then re-installing them later.

edit: Here's the video of Rich, thankfully in English. :D https://youtu.be/EmmMsX3NKTc

The process is basically:

1. Remove the hammer pin and hammers
2. Remove the forward hammer spring retainer pin
3. Remove the sear pin and sears
4. If you have a broken spring to replace, simply remove it at this point and skip to step 7. It will fall out. If you have an unbroken spring to remove, remove the retainer bridge pin and the retainer bridge.

5. If you are removing unbroken springs you now chuck the group into a vise and put a small flathead screwdriver under the front leg of each spring while using another one to push it out from the back (in the window where the "V" is). They will ride up the front screwdriver ramp and pop right out.

6. Reinstall the bridge (if you took it out).

7. Chuck the group back into the vise and push the new spring(s) in using a large flathead screwdriver on the forward lip until they snap under the bridge.

8. Reinstall the forward retaining pin

9. Reinstall the sears and sear pin

10. Reinstall the hammers and hammer pin (you may need to slide the hammer springs a little in the trigger group forward or backward to get them to line up with the hammer interface points).

That's it. Seems like a lot to type out but it's about a 15 to 20 min job.

Last edited by paracord on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Good post paracord.

For reference, here is the video where Rich Cole converts a DT11 trigger to mechanical: https://youtu.be/EmmMsX3NKTc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:14 am 
Tournament Grade

Not related to DT11 trigger spring R&R but here is an interesting video that measures DT11 trigger lock time: https://youtu.be/eXQ3VcbKHUs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:15 am 
Presentation Grade

shacked wrote:
Good post paracord.

For reference, here is the video where Rich Cole converts a DT11 trigger to mechanical: https://youtu.be/EmmMsX3NKTc

Thanks you beat me to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:34 am 
Presentation Grade

shacked wrote:
Not related to DT11 trigger spring R&R but here is an interesting video that measures DT11 trigger lock time: https://youtu.be/eXQ3VcbKHUs

Pretty neat. If those numbers are correct it would illustrate one of the supposed benefits of V-springs...faster lock time (and more consistent lock time over the service life of the spring).

Whether that equates to more dead targets, I have no idea. But it's pretty interesting in theory.