ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta A300 Balance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:03 am 
Utility Grade

I recently purchased a Beretta A300 for skeet, dove, turkey and waterfowl hunting and was shooting skeet with a friend of mine yesterday who used to shoot competitvely and he mentioned my gun was very muzzle heavy and not balanced. Is there a way to fix this?

Post subject: Re: Beretta A300 Balance
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Yes, add a weight to the stock bolt. You can get a Graco dead weight or mercury filled weight. Both will also reduce recoil. Another option is a heavier recoil pad like a kickeez.

This will work on the 300 stock bolt:

http://mpcsports.com/beretta390and391stockweights.aspx
Comes in 5,7 or 10oz.

http://mpcsports.com/berettaandbenellis ... sonly.aspx
About 8oz

You can always buy lead fishing weight and wrap it bubble wrap for cheap, but the stock bolt weights seem to help better with recoil vibration and is more center balanced.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 am 
Crown Grade

axis ii wrote:
I recently purchased a Beretta A300 for skeet, dove, turkey and waterfowl hunting and was shooting skeet with a friend of mine yesterday who used to shoot competitvely and he mentioned my gun was very muzzle heavy and not balanced. Is there a way to fix this?

You may wish to consider maintaining some degree of forward bias. I`m not talking about maintaining a grossly muzzle heavy situation, but a slight degree is known to smooth out swing on crossing targets. Dove , skeet and waterfowl all will present crossing targets.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

Balance in a shotgun is highly subjective. One person’s “balanced” is another’s “whippy” and yet another’s “muzzle heavy.” I don’t want to discourage you from trying out some stock weights to see if you think it improves the gun’s handling, but your friend’s comment is just one person’s opinion. If you like the gun the way it is, you can just ignore him. Either way, I would encourage you to identify your own preferences. I shoot a 30” outlander sporting and don’t consider it muzzle heavy. I’m actually thinking about adding a 4 or 6 oz. briley magazine cap weight.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:13 am 
Presentation Grade

Test your gun by balancing the gun with a couple of fingers by the stock bolt lever (gun closed) and see it starts to fall forward or backwards. Most people want it in the middle, or a little forward. Note that with a live shell in the chamber and 1 or 2 in the magazine you will be adding about 2-3.5 ounces on the muzzle side.