ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About to buy a A300....magazine cutoff question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:49 pm 
Utility Grade

I’m trying to figure out the difference of the a300 and AL391 and a400 as far as the magazine cutoff. I read that the a300 does not have a mag cutoff however it seems to function the same in that you can pull the bolt back and eject the round to unload without feeding a round from the magazine. I can’t put shells in the gun at the store to verify the function but I’m just wondering what the difference is. Again I read the a300 does not have a magazine cutoff but in the review videos it seems they do the same thing as the other models. Explain please thank you!

Post subject: Re: About to buy a A300....magazine cutoff question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have not shot an AL391 or A400 so I cannot tell you how they differ from the A300. I have shot 302, 390, 1201F, and A300. The A300 does not have a magazine cut off but if you pull the bolt open it will eject the shell from the chamber and it will not feed another shell from the magazine until you release a shell from the magazine.

Personally, I could care less whether or not a gun has a magazine cut off. I do not recall the last time I used the feature on guns that have it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

I use the magazine cut off on my V3 several times when I take it hunting. I engage it, pull the bolt back to clear the gun and then can put it anywhere and know that it is safe. When ready to go I simply insert a shell in chamber and then deactivate the mag cut off to put the gun back into operation.

It really comes in handy crossing fences or just before making the frequent pit stops I do as part of my 7 decades of existence.

I like a magazine cut off.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have had a dozen 399s and 391s over the years and never use the magazine cutoff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

oyeme wrote:
I use the magazine cut off on my V3 several times when I take it hunting. I engage it, pull the bolt back to clear the gun and then can put it anywhere and know that it is safe. When ready to go I simply insert a shell in chamber and then deactivate the mag cut off to put the gun back into operation.

It really comes in handy crossing fences or just before making the frequent pit stops I do as part of my 7 decades of existence.

I like a magazine cut off.

With A300 open bolt drop shell out of the chamber and the gun is safe.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:17 pm 
Limited Edition

The A400 has that button on the left side of the receiver. When the gun is loaded, you can push the button and pull the bolt back, the round will eject and the bolt will lock back, and no shell feeds from the magazine. Then when you are over the fence, ditch, etc, you can drop the round into the action and push the button again to close the bolt.
With the A300, with the gun loaded, you can pull the bolt back to eject the chambered round without feeding from the magazine but the bolt will not lock back.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok I apologize if this is a stupid question, I have never owned a semi auto shotgun. Does the A300 have a button on the side that locks the bolt open? With a loaded a300, could you pull back the bolt to eject a live round and push the button on the right side of the receiver to lock the bolt and achieve the exact same thing as a beretta with a mag cutoff button? I assumed the mag cutoff was just to unload the chamber without feeding another round from the mag but if that already happens automatically with a unfired beretta then what Is the actual purpose of the separate mag cutoff?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 am 
Limited Edition

If your A300 has a round in the chamber and rounds in the magazine, the answer is no. But if your A300 only has a round in the chamber, you can push the carrier release button and then retract the bolt. It will lock open.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:54 am 
Presentation Grade

norcalshoot wrote:
Ok I apologize if this is a stupid question, I have never owned a semi auto shotgun. Does the A300 have a button on the side that locks the bolt open? With a loaded a300, could you pull back the bolt to eject a live round and push the button on the right side of the receiver to lock the bolt and achieve the exact same thing as a beretta with a mag cutoff button? I assumed the mag cutoff was just to unload the chamber without feeding another round from the mag but if that already happens automatically with a unfired beretta then what Is the actual purpose of the separate mag cutoff?

No and No. The button on the right side of the receiver is the bolt release. You can not lock the bolt open with shells in the magazine on the A300. You can always eject the shell out of the chamber and insert the crimp end of the shell into the ejection port and let the bolt down on it to show the chamber is not loaded. If you need to leave the bolt open you need to unload the gun including the shells in the magazine, push the carrier stop button, pull the bolt back all the way and it will lock open. There should be a copy of the A300 owners manual available online.

How many times per hunt do you plan to need a magazine cut off? There are other options than a magazine cut off for safe gun handling in the field. You don't need it for shooting clays. There are lots of people shooting A300's without a magazine cut off and they do not have a problem. Not having a magazine cut off is a non-issue to me. If a magazine cut off is important to you, buy a gun with that feature.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:53 am 
Utility Grade

Ok I think I understand. It sounds like if I wanted to unchamber a round while leaving the two in the mag for crossing a fence or getting in the truck I can achieve same thing with an a300 except the bolt will not lock open. I can still pull it open again and drop the round back into the chamber once I’m ready without triggering the magazine to feed. This is fine for me. If I want to unload the chamber and hold the bolt open I can spend the extra $700+ for a a400. I think it’s not that important to me. I Jump shoot geese in the farm lands here and we get in and out of the truck, cross fences etc a lot. My Mossberg cycles a shell from the mag every time I open the action. I just wanted to make sure I will be able to empty the chamber without cycling the round from the magazine on the a300. I would like an a400 but I’m afraid It will not want to get it in the mud and rain. Last weekend my Mossberg got dunked In brackish salty water while crawling up a slew. If it was a $1500 gun I probably would had ended my hunt to clean the gun. I think with an a300 it will be a good utility hunting gun
Thank you all for the clarification

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:34 pm 

norcalshoot wrote:
I’m trying to figure out the difference of the a300 and AL391 and a400 as far as the magazine cutoff.

There is no difference between these models in terms of magazine cutoff's. They all have automatic magazine cut off's. The only difference is that the AL391 and the A400's have a bolt lock back lever on the left side of the gun. The magazine will be cut off automatically even if you do not engage the lever. The levers only function is to hold the bolt open with shells in the magazine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:04 pm 
Utility Grade

Worc... thank you that explains it and I understand now. Thanks for the responses

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:27 am 
Tournament Grade

norcalshoot wrote:
Ok I think I understand. It sounds like if I wanted to unchamber a round while leaving the two in the mag for crossing a fence or getting in the truck I can achieve same thing with an a300 except the bolt will not lock open. I can still pull it open again and drop the round back into the chamber once I’m ready without triggering the magazine to feed. This is fine for me. If I want to unload the chamber and hold the bolt open I can spend the extra $700+ for a a400. I think it’s not that important to me. I Jump shoot geese in the farm lands here and we get in and out of the truck, cross fences etc a lot. My Mossberg cycles a shell from the mag every time I open the action. I just wanted to make sure I will be able to empty the chamber without cycling the round from the magazine on the a300. I would like an a400 but I’m afraid It will not want to get it in the mud and rain. Last weekend my Mossberg got dunked In brackish salty water while crawling up a slew. If it was a $1500 gun I probably would had ended my hunt to clean the gun. I think with an a300 it will be a good utility hunting gun
Thank you all for the clarification

The A400 is designed to be a waterfowl shotgun. It is coated to prevent corrosion. You don’t have to immediately clean the gun if you drop it in the mud or water. Pick it up and keep hunting with it.

Saying that, I think the A300 is a fine shotgun. I own one myself. It’s easily adjustable for the shooter, and the recoil is soft enough for my 18 year old daughter to hunt with. Very reliable auto loader, and good all around hunting gun. I do like the A400, but just couldn’t justify spending $1,800 on a gun when a $600 to $1,000 shotgun will do the job just as well and reliably.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:27 pm 

SHughes wrote:
The A400 is designed to be a waterfowl shotgun.
Depends on the A400 model. A400 Xtreme for sure, A400 Xplor less so and A400 Xcel not at all. Beretta and their auto loading shotgun model numbers. An unnecessary and constant state of confusion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:59 pm 
Tournament Grade

Worc wrote:
SHughes wrote:
The A400 is designed to be a waterfowl shotgun.
Depends on the A400 model. A400 Xtreme for sure, A400 Xplor less so and A400 Xcel not at all. Beretta and their auto loading shotgun model numbers. An unnecessary and constant state of confusion.

That is a good point. I assumed the Xcel had the same Acqua coating the Xtreme line does. Admittedly, we don’t see too many Xcels in my area.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:27 pm 

SHughes wrote:
That is a good point. I assumed the Xcel had the same Acqua coating the Xtreme line does. Admittedly, we don’t see too many Xcels in my area.

It's more than skin deep. The A400 Xtreme and A400 Xcel/Xplor have different gas systems among other things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 pm 
Field Grade

In my experience magazine cut offs work sometimes and sometimes not so well. I would never trust my life or the life of a fellow hunter to a magazine cut off. When getting in a vehicle guns should be unloaded not just the chamber cleared.
So many gun accidents take place when getting into or out of a vehicle.
On a target field there is no reason to have one.

John