ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Never saw a 686 like this before, any help??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Got an odd duck. I can't find any other 686 laid out like this. Starts off like a regular 686, silver colored scroll engraved receiver, nothing too fancy.

The barrels say XTRAP on the top barrel. All other O/U versions of XTRAP I can find are Onyx models (or single barrels). This is made in 1999 according to Beretta , and is 30" just as Beretta says it is. It is threaded for chokes and has a selective trigger. Has the adjustable comb that appears to be factory and a fairly nice grade 1 to grade 2 stock. The Beretta model from the website says 686 Trap.

I can find single barrels like this, marked XTRAP and in a You Tube video from The Gun Shop he shows off a similar O/U but without selective triggers and without threaded barrels.

I have searched high and low for another one like this and I just can't find anything like it.
Anybody else ever see one of these?

BTW, great gun, I found it in perfect shape, but it is heavy as hell.

This is my first post, but I intend to hang around now that I know you guys are here.
I can't figure out how to post pictures, so I will continue to work on that.

[img][img][/img][/img]

Post subject: Re: Never saw a 686 like this before, any help??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 am 
Utility Grade

Pictures to go with above posting, takes you to imgur.

https://imgur.com/a/Ks38FdE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

Here are your images. If you hit the quote button you will see how these images were implanted. Note, right click on your images and select "copy image location" and you can do a simple paste to place the that address for your image.

As for your gun, I have to wonder if it might not be a "frankengun". One thing I noticed is the recoil shoulders on that barrel set are replaceable. This is something that I thought was a recent innovation for Beretta. Note, I could be wrong about that because I was scanning thru some Beretta reviews on youtube and saw one on the DT11 that pointed out the replaceable recoil shoulders. This leads me to believe that replaceable recoil shoulders are recent. I do know that on my 2018 Silver Pigeon I Sporting the recoil shoulders are NOT replaceable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:16 am 
Presentation Grade

Simple. Someone swapped on a set of 682 O/U barrels on a 686 receiver. They might’ve wanted the higher rib. If fitted correctly, no big deal. Some people b***h and moan about serial numbers on receivers and barrels not matching, but my philosophy is, if I’m buying it to shoot targets (rather than investing in a collectible), I care more about how the gun is configured and fits for me.
Incidentally, it’s pretty common to see higher end target shotguns (Perazzis, Krieghoffs, etc) with barrels that have different serial numbers than their receivers as people buy barrels and receivers secondhand and put together a gun that fits them. I’m currently thinking of putting a set of Perazzi MX3 Special barrels on either an MT6 or an MX8 Special.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:09 am 
Tournament Grade

mpolans wrote:
Simple. Someone swapped on a set of 682 O/U barrels on a 686 receiver. They might’ve wanted the higher rib. If fitted correctly, no big deal. Some people b***h and moan about serial numbers on receivers and barrels not matching, but my philosophy is, if I’m buying it to shoot targets (rather than investing in a collectible), I care more about how the gun is configured and fits for me.
Incidentally, it’s pretty common to see higher end target shotguns (Perazzis, Krieghoffs, etc) with barrels that have different serial numbers than their receivers as people buy barrels and receivers secondhand and put together a gun that fits them. I’m currently thinking of putting a set of Perazzi MX3 Special barrels on either an MT6 or an MX8 Special.
This. I have an early 682 wide receiver with Optima barrels. Love the set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:38 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Aye! I have an older 682 Super Sporting receiver with 32" Optima barrels and Cole wood, and wish I had brewed up another just like it back when that was much easier to do.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:37 am 
Presentation Grade

it's not uncommon to find 686's pieced together like you do Perazzi's since they can be built out that way.

enjoy the gun you have and shoot the crap out of it!

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

Check Jaquas gun list under used sporting clays for one I built using a 687L receiver, Optima barrels and exhibition left hand wood. I’ve probably built 10 of these with similar components but that one and a 682 Greystone are the favs