ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 Bolt Stock Tube Failure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:15 pm 
Crown Grade

While shooting a round of 5 stand today in preparation for a tournament this weekend, my A400 (Smurf gun) came apart in my hands with stock in my shooting hand and the barrel/forearm in my offhand. It seems that this part:
Bolt Stock Tube

Mfr Part: C8A326

The threaded area that goes into the rear of the receiver seems to have sheared off. I cannot figure out what might have caused this. Has anyone else had this happen to them and what was the cause?
Midwest GunWorks seems to be the only one with a replacement in stock, but if there is a cause I need to also address, I'd like to know about it.

Guess it was better to happen today than this weekend at a two day shoot 2 states away.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Re: A400 Bolt Stock Tube Failure
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:40 pm 
Crown Grade

That indeed is a strange place to have a metal fatigue/wear induced failure. Assuming the stock was not loose and you would have noticed that immediately; it points to a faulty metal treatment, i.e. a faulty part. Sorry I can't be of more help, but you are right in that it was a blessing in disguise. Let us know if you figure out the exact cause. Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

Send a email and picture of the actual broken part to coles And Beretta USA service manager. If they don’t send you a new part for free, they may be able to tell you what happened. At the very least they should know about it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Found the part at Midwest Gun Works; Coles never answered and website showed unavailable, same for Brownell's and Beretta. I expected that from Beretta, not so much from the other two - but i would still like to know what caused it so if it is something I can prevent by watching for some attribute I can avoid it in the future.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Is the part that goes into the receiver solid or under spring pressure? I always wondered if that was some sort of recoil buffer, or what the sharp point is for?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

how many rounds are through your gun?

I have north of 20,000 and not a single problem.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:59 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Found the part at Midwest Gun Works; Coles never answered and website showed unavailable, same for Brownell's and Beretta. I expected that from Beretta, not so much from the other two - but i would still like to know what caused it so if it is something I can prevent by watching for some attribute I can avoid it in the future.

I know you are quite "experienced" and knowledgeable gun owner, so I really doubt that it is anything you could prevent. I think this falls into the stuff happens column.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:59 pm 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
how many rounds are through your gun?

I have north of 20,000 and not a single problem.

Since it was lightly used when I got it - about the same as yours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:28 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm very interested in how the Stock Bolt connects to the receiver. Is it just screwed in? Threads on mine are dinged up a bit and I'd like to replace but not sure how to install.
Dan