ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Beretta Choke tube threads
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:37 am 
Tournament Grade

I just recently (2 months ago), purchased a new Beretta 687 SP3, two barrel set, 28 & .410, 30" barrels w/mobile chokes. Purchased from Joel Etchen guns. A couple of weeks ago I finally got the opportunity to try out the gun and shoot some skeet. Although the gun came with 5 chokes for each barrel, I had ordered some new Muller chokes for them as well. A U1 & U2 for each barrel respectively. When I started removing the factory installed chokes I found them very tight all the way to the last thread, not just loosening. They required a choke wrench all the way out. At first I thought it may have just been the 28 ga barrels, but found the same problem with the .410 barrels. Then when I installed the new Muller chokes it was the same way. Very tight. As you know Muller does not have any notches for a wrench so very carefully using a plastic grip I was able to get the tubes all the way in. It was this way for all 4 tubes and this was using Gun Slick on the tubes and threads. My question is: has there been a recent change in the Beretta mobile choke system?

Post subject: Re: New Beretta Choke tube threads
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/687-silver-pigeon-iii/

It doesn't appear so. Do the supplied chokes work? If so, you have your answer.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:33 am 
Crown Grade

Sounds kind of strange. I would call their warranty/ service department if they don't loosen up after a few cycles of changing tubes. It wouldn't hurt to get Muller's take on the situation. It could very well have a logical explanation but if I just spent close to 3G on a new gun, I would want to know! Now is the time to find out, not after things get worse. Beretta is a reputable company, I am sure they will give you an answer & fix it if something is wrong. Don't call, write letters or do both. Not that Beretta would try to Bamboozle you are anything but if the unthinkable happens, you will be glad you have the documentation! "Anything that is not in writing is a lie."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

The supplied factory chokes are just as tight as the Muller chokes. I have an older large frame 687eell with fitted 20 & 28 ga barrels and the muller chokes fit those barrels just fine. Oh, and by the way, this was a $4700.00 gun.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:25 pm 
Field Grade

I’m having the same combo delivered tommorow. I’ll be sure to check mine first thing. Seems odd that both barrels and both gauges are tight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

I just tried the supplied factory chokes in my old set of 28gauge barrels and they fit like they are supposed to. I was able to screw them all the way in and out using only my fingers. What ever is going on is with the new barrels. I have a Beretta thread chasing tool that I used on the 28gauge barrels and that seemed to help. Does anyone know if they also make that tool for the .410 barrels?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't understand your concern. I would rather have chokes that are tight ( and that obviously fit ) than very loose ones, especially on a new gun. Now if one barrel was very tight and the other very loose, then I might wonder. The fact that they all fit equally snugly shows consistency in machining which indicates to me at least some quality control. I have the same gun (purchased in 2018 so it has Mobil Choke tubes ) and the factory tubes and aftermarket TruLock tubes were all equally snug. They will loosen up somewhat with continued use. I believe your are worrying about a non existent problem. My two cents worth.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:03 pm 
Crown Grade

Did you clean them initially and then use new lube or oil?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

DDBach wrote:
I don't understand your concern. I would rather have chokes that are tight ( and that obviously fit ) than very loose ones, especially on a new gun. Now if one barrel was very tight and the other very loose, then I might wonder. The fact that they all fit equally snugly shows consistency in machining which indicates to me at least some quality control. I have the same gun (purchased in 2018 so it has Mobil Choke tubes ) and the factory tubes and aftermarket TruLock tubes were all equally snug. They will loosen up somewhat with continued use. I believe your are worrying about a non existent problem. My two cents worth.

You may find it perfectly acceptable, but I have never owned a gun (until now), that would require taking a set of tools to the range to change chokes. They cannot be removed or installed without gripping pliers. Even the factory flush chokes require the choke tool in the notches to remove & install them.
Yes, I did clean and lube everything.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:11 pm 
Limited Edition

I have had new guns with similar issues from multiple manufactures. I found if I remove the chokes and clean the barrel treads with a bore brush, wipe with a patch, and reinstall the choke with grease on the thread the problem goes away. Sometimes they come from the factory with dirty threads, regardless of price point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:02 pm 
Field Grade

I picked up my new combo set today. I changed the choke tubes and they seemed fine. I have not yet shot the gun though. Thursday will be my first chance.

I am also interested in the Muller chokes, but it doesn’t appear that they are in stock for the replacement Mobil chokes. I would also like the U1 and U2.

I would give Etchen a call, I agree I would not be happy. Hopefully they just need a good cleaning, or a thread chaser to clean things up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:31 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My 2 month old 694 has VERY tight choke threads. I prefer this to compulsively checking my chokes for a tight seat as I move around the course.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:37 am 
Field Grade

I purchased a brand new Silver Pigeon I Sporting...12 gauge...Optima-HP chokes...last week. After a complete cleaning the threads on the chokes are still quite snug. No worries.