ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bolt release for A400 28 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:53 pm 
Tournament Grade

My Dad has some difficulty closing the bolt on his new gun. The button is somewhat stiff. Has anyone bought an enhanced bolt release. I found that Beretta, Briley an Cole sell one for this gun. Anyone use one, and what do you think of it?

I had one many years ago on a Beretta 391. Don’t remember where I got it. The only problem I had with it is that the external part bottomed out against the side of the receiver when I pushed it. This resulted in two scratches through the surface coating leaving two short stripes to the underlying metal which was silver, on the otherwise black receiver. Then it broke and did not replace it so I was left with these scratches.

Dad would not like that.

Please let me know what you can about which is better an why.

Thanks, Doc

Post subject: Re: Bolt release for A400 28 gauge
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

I ordered the Briley bolt release (gray) for my A400 Xplor 28 ga back in January, along with a couple of black Briley extended chokes. Still don't have the chokes or bolt release, (in BC, Canada, ordered through the Briley Canadian distributor but slow to ship North I guess).

I know what you mean, the bolt release is stiff when new. The good news is that it does break in some with use...mine is getting better. I may put the bolt release on my 12 ga 20 year old 391 Sporting Gold as the 12 and 28 are apparently interchangeable. Wonder if they would fit the 20 ga 391, as I recently picked up a virtually new Teknys with an equally stiff bolt release. Sure like the A400 Xcel with the oversize release....slick unit but fairly large and easy to bump.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:40 pm 
Limited Edition

YEP! An arthritic friend of mine was shooting my A400 28ga and flat couldn't push the bolt release. He used the brass end of a shell that day. SO I installed the Briley enhanced bolt release. I tend to do that on all my semiauto shotguns anyway. It was especially helpful on that model.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/displayimage.php?pid=25134&fullsize=1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:32 pm 
Presentation Grade

I put one on an A400 20 gauge for my wife. It works much easier than the stock Beretta release.
Cheers Gofer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am 
Field Grade

I’ve used the Briley units on several 391s and they worked great. Never had a problem with them hitting the receiver.