ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remove bolt handle?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Another question about this Beretta A400 28 gauge.

I wanted to throughly clean it but ran into a problem. After I removed the barrel I then wanted to get bolt assembly out. I watched both a Beretta and a Colegun video on YouTube about cleaning the gun and they show that you simply push back on the bolt face about 1/4 inch so a line in the bolt lines up with the black cover of the bolt, then just pull the handle out.

Nope. I have pushed back on the bolt face to all sorts of varying degrees including, of course, lining things up as they show on the videos. The handle will not budge. There is not even any play in the handle at all, won’t even wiggle like all my Beretta autos from the past. 303, 390, 391: and a few variations.

So, what next? Hope someone can help this weekend. If not I will call Cole on Monday.

Thanks, Doc

Post subject: Re: Remove bolt handle?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:21 pm 
Field Grade

They come out hard when new. Get some something like Breakfree CLP, Kroil or any light gun oil down in the bolt where the handle goes in. Let it soak, then wrap the bolt handle with leather or a few layer of cloth and grab it with a pair of pliers. Pull straight up with the rotary bolt positioned back a 1/4" or so like the video says. Should pop right out. My A400 28 had a fairly stiff to remove handle the first couple times I pulled it out but now comes out by grabbing it by hand without the leather wrap and pliers. Lube the hole when it is out as well as the end of the bolt handle too. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

>>wrap the bolt handle with leather or a few layer of cloth and grab it with a pair of pliers<<

I've had a couple of guns over the years that required this, but it's no biggie. Just pull it with authority.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:16 am 
Crown Grade

Doc090107 wrote:
Another question about this Beretta A400 28 gauge.

I wanted to throughly clean it but ran into a problem. After I removed the barrel I then wanted to get bolt assembly out. I watched both a Beretta and a Colegun video on YouTube about cleaning the gun and they show that you simply push back on the bolt face about 1/4 inch so a line in the bolt lines up with the black cover of the bolt, then just pull the handle out.

Nope. I have pushed back on the bolt face to all sorts of varying degrees including, of course, lining things up as they show on the videos. The handle will not budge. There is not even any play in the handle at all, won’t even wiggle like all my Beretta autos from the past. 303, 390, 391: and a few variations.

So, what next? Hope someone can help this weekend. If not I will call Cole on Monday.

Thanks, Doc

Line it up, pull harder. Pliers if necessary!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

Look in the bolt and make sure the slot is lined up with the bolt handle where the handle enters the bolt. Mine needs to be perfect to get out. Sometimes i wiggle some and it comes out. As mentioned, the first few times is hard and you may need a padded pliers. I don't use the lines in the bolt as a reference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:35 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you want to be able to pull hard on the bolt handle without risking dinging up the handle or receiver with pliers or doing something that might hurt yourself, here is what I suggest.

Get some stout fishing line (or lightweight wire) and a stout wooden dowel (or a screwdriver). Wrap several wraps of the fishing line (or light wire) around the base of the bolt handle. Now wrap the other end of the wire several times around the wooden dowel (or screwdriver).

Then lay the gun on its side on your padded workbench with the bolt handle pointed up. Now align the bolt as needed, and then, holding the gun down with one hand, give a firm pull upward on the dowel. If that doesn't do the trick, then it's not because you aren't pulling hard enough. It's because something isn't lined up properly.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:37 pm 
Limited Edition

Take a piece of heavy string about 14" long and put a loop in the end that will go ahead the bolt handle.
Just give the robe a log and out it comes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have had to use blue tape plus pliers to get out a couple of Beretta bolt handles on new guns. It's not a big deal. They loosen up some over time.

(These are my dogs, not shotguns) :)

NSCA # 517xxx (since 9/7/94)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

I saw a different video explaining how to line up the forward line on the bolt with the black part, so that you can pull out the bolt handle. I then used a piece of paracord tied around the handle, gave it jerk and came right out.

Thanks for the tips.
Doc