ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A400 bolt stuck closed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:10 am 
Utility Grade

Bolt stuck on snapcap, preventing disassembly of gun. I'm really perplexed about what to do. Am I missing something simple here?

This A400 Multitarget is my first shotgun. After my most recent outing, I decided to do a deeper clean than normal. I disassembled, cleaned, moly greased, reassembled, opened/closed bolt several times, dry fired, all seemed normal and moved smoothly. I then chambered a snapcap and loaded a second snapcap in the magazine. This is the first time I've tried snapcaps on this gun. I pulled the trigger and it "fired" normally. I pulled the cocking handle to eject the first round but the handle wouldn't budge. I've yanked the handle as hard as I'm comfortable doing, not wanting to break it, but the black portion of the bolt only moves back and forth about 1/8". The chrome portion of the bolt does not move relative to the barrel at all. I've fiddled with it for hours, removed the trigger assembly, removed the fore-end, tried to push the snapcap out with a cleaning rod, poked and prodded in the receiver. The plastic snapcap doesn't move at all (and if I get it freed I'll never use this kind of snapcap again, unless it turns out that I'm missing something monumentally stupid). The snapcap in the magazine pushes in easily and pops back easily from the spring but doesn't come out of the magazine tube (even with trigger plate removed). The cocking handle prevents me from removing the barrel or removing the bolt (the two are solidly connected to each other). The cocking handle can't be removed because the rotating bolt won't move more than 1/8", not nearly enough to position it where the cocking handle is able to be pulled out. I don't know the innards well enough to say whether the bolt is fully closed (but see picture below). The bolt head hook does not appear to be touching the snapcap at all (the hook is touching the barrel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a picture of the stuck bolt:

And with the barrel pulled out as far as it will go:

Post subject: Re: A400 bolt stuck closed
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:47 am 
Presentation Grade

With the gun positioned as in photo #2...get a small flat tip screwdriver and pry the ejector claw away from the rim of the plastic snap cap.

Once this is done, the bolt should release and allow the gun to come apart.

Then throw those plastic snap caps away...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:10 pm 
Utility Grade

The ejector claw was not holding onto the snapcap. The claw was resting on the barrel.

I did finally get it out with a lot of force.

I pushed a cleaning rod in hard from the muzzle end while also pushing back on the cocking handle. The two forces combined were enough to slide the bolt back and the snapcap popped out. Warning: this bent the threaded tip of my cleaning rod, so use a dowel or something else less expensive or more sturdy.

Interestingly, the snapcap slides in and out of the chamber easily and has no scuff marks. A caliper tells me that the lip of the snapcap is very slightly larger in diameter and thicker than normal shells. That plus the added friction of plastic on metal was just enough to go wrong. The rotating bolt got stuck partially rotated but locked onto the barrel. That same size and friction prevented the snapcap in the magazine from ejecting, so I had to disassemble the magazine and drop the snapcap out the other end.

These plastic snapcaps (Traditions) are now in the trash where they belong, and I posted a scathing review. I had bought them on a whim at a store but should have checked the reviews. Time to get real training rounds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:33 pm 
Presentation Grade

snap caps are designed for over and unders. Take a old shot shell that has been fired, cut the top off and just use that as a snap cap.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Firing pins for that gun are cheap and easy to replace and almost never break. Why would you ever need a snap cap?

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:14 pm 
Utility Grade

My intent was to enable safe practice of handling/loading/unloading for myself and other shotgun newbies in my family. I'll be looking for weighted inert rounds instead.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:29 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yes. They are called “action proving rounds” and sometimes marked “dummy”: a better choice

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:39 am 
Field Grade

Glad you got it fixed.

Snapcaps. The solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:49 am 
Crown Grade

Look for AZOOMS, made of aluminum they work fine in my A400s

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:17 pm 
Diamond Grade

A-Zoom brand is a reliable dummy round for working the action and to relieve the firing pin spring (which is not really necessary).

It's easy enough to make dummy rounds if you're a reloader, but I could never get comfortable using dummy rounds made from actual shotshells, no matter how I painted or colored them. Silly, I know...

I have at least two A-Zoom one-piece aluminum dummy rounds in each gauge.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

There’s really no need for snap caps in modern guns.

MAYBE if you are going to dry fire practice with a revolver or auto pistol for thousands of shots, but to snap the trigger a few times on a shotgun no way.