ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A300 safety
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I am looking for advice about the safeties on A300s and A400s. The safety on A300s seems easily brushed off. ( Like seen here at 5:54 https://youtu.be/-2deA26aVvc ) Are they all like that or do I just need to find a stronger spring to hold the detent in more strongly?

The A400 safety seems a little more protected by the receiver and triggerguard. Is it more positive? I've been looking at them, but I like the bolt design of the A300 better. I don't see how it could actually be a better gun considering the prices and ability to have the A300 stock modified. Maybe the A400 KO stocks are worth it.

Anyhow, which has the safer safety or is it a matter of spring strength?

Post subject: Re: A300 safety
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have wondered the same thing. I have an A300 and a 391. The 391 is actually worse due to the length, but I have found that a lot depends on how you carry it. When hunting (alone) I will sometimes carry the gun horizontally across my left shoulder. The ball of my shoulder will occasionally knock off the safety. This is because the radius of the trigger guard is not sufficiently large to prevent the ball of the shoulder from knocking it off. I personally think this is a design oversight. I reported it to Beretta years ago and they blew it off. I wish there was a way to make the safety “stiffer” to lessen the chance of unintentional disengagement.

This is a very real issue. I wish there was a fix for it. I have checked other guns for this. Some are more susceptible than others. The more resistant ones that I checked over the years include: the 870,1100/11-87. Auto-5 and SKB-XL 300/900 and most Benelli’s. Unfortunately the Maxus is susceptible to disengagement. A long safety button is generally not a good thing. I am surprised that this issue hasn’t received more traction.

Edit: Forgot to mention that not all Beretta semi’s have this issue. Notably the Extrema 2 is well protected.

Edit #2: Just called Coles to inquire about a modification to make the safety “safer”. They indicated that for liability reasons they would not modify a safety.....which unfortunately is understandable. So....it looks like the owners of A300’s and 391’s etc, will have to live with the risk, albeit a small but real risk. This risk can be mitigated somewhat through knowledge of the issue and gun handling practices.

Last edited by CWPINST on Wed May 12, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A300 safety
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

urbaneruralite wrote:
I am looking for advice about the safeties on A300s and A400s. The safety on A300s seems easily brushed off. ( Like seen here at 5:54 https://youtu.be/-2deA26aVvc ) Are they all like that or do I just need to find a stronger spring to hold the detent in more strongly?

The A400 safety seems a little more protected by the receiver and triggerguard. Is it more positive? I've been looking at them, but I like the bolt design of the A300 better. I don't see how it could actually be a better gun considering the prices and ability to have the A300 stock modified. Maybe the A400 KO stocks are worth it.

Anyhow, which has the safer safety or is it a matter of spring strength?

I think you will find many who agree with your statement and many that don't. It has been hashed out on here before so you might want to look up that discussion.