ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A300 safety
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I am looking for advice about the safeties on A300s and A400s. The safety on A300s seems easily brushed off. ( Like seen here at 5:54 https://youtu.be/-2deA26aVvc ) Are they all like that or do I just need to find a stronger spring to hold the detent in more strongly?

The A400 safety seems a little more protected by the receiver and triggerguard. Is it more positive? I've been looking at them, but I like the bolt design of the A300 better. I don't see how it could actually be a better gun considering the prices and ability to have the A300 stock modified. Maybe the A400 KO stocks are worth it.

Anyhow, which has the safer safety or is it a matter of spring strength?

Post subject: Re: A300 safety
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have wondered the same thing. I have an A300 and a 391. The 391 is actually worse due to the length, but I have found that a lot depends on how you carry it. When hunting (alone) I will sometimes carry the gun horizontally across my left shoulder. The ball of my shoulder will occasionally knock off the safety. This is because the radius of the trigger guard is not sufficiently large to prevent the ball of the shoulder from knocking it off. I personally think this is a design oversight. I reported it to Beretta years ago and they blew it off. I wish there was a way to make the safety “stiffer” to lessen the chance of unintentional disengagement.

This is a very real issue. I wish there was a fix for it. I have checked other guns for this. Some are more susceptible than others. The more resistant ones that I checked over the years include: the 870,1100/11-87. Auto-5 and SKB-XL 300/900 and most Benelli’s. Unfortunately the Maxus is susceptible to disengagement. A long safety button is generally not a good thing. I am surprised that this issue hasn’t received more traction.

Edit: Forgot to mention that not all Beretta semi’s have this issue. Notably the Extrema 2 is well protected.

Edit #2: Just called Coles to inquire about a modification to make the safety “safer”. They indicated that for liability reasons they would not modify a safety.....which unfortunately is understandable. So....it looks like the owners of A300’s and 391’s etc, will have to live with the risk, albeit a small but real risk. This risk can be mitigated somewhat through knowledge of the issue and gun handling practices.

Last edited by CWPINST on Wed May 12, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:00 pm 
Crown Grade

urbaneruralite wrote:
I am looking for advice about the safeties on A300s and A400s. The safety on A300s seems easily brushed off. ( Like seen here at 5:54 https://youtu.be/-2deA26aVvc ) Are they all like that or do I just need to find a stronger spring to hold the detent in more strongly?

The A400 safety seems a little more protected by the receiver and triggerguard. Is it more positive? I've been looking at them, but I like the bolt design of the A300 better. I don't see how it could actually be a better gun considering the prices and ability to have the A300 stock modified. Maybe the A400 KO stocks are worth it.

Anyhow, which has the safer safety or is it a matter of spring strength?

I think you will find many who agree with your statement and many that don't. It has been hashed out on here before so you might want to look up that discussion.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:04 am 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for the follow up on the topic. It is an odd thing for Beretta to not address. I may still try a stronger spring and increase in the recess the detent ball goes into. Or buy another gun. Buying other guns is always attractive.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have both the A400 and A300, but safeties feel fine and work great for their intended purpose. I feel no issues when using them on either gun.

My A300 safety is pretty stiff I feel and my A400 safety is somewhat stiffer but nothing that's difficult to use.

NSCA#620844
"Il suffit de regarder l'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

Had the chance to compare several A300s and an A400 today. All the A300s brushed off safe easily. The A400 required pushing directly in on the button. The 400 seemed a little stiffer but mostly the angle of the end of the button just doesn't catch.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 10:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

urbaneruralite wrote:
Had the chance to compare several A300s and an A400 today. All the A300s brushed off safe easily. The A400 required pushing directly in on the button. The 400 seemed a little stiffer but mostly the angle of the end of the button just doesn't catch.

Lay them across your left shoulder (horizontal) to where the ball of your shoulder contacts the safety button. Pretty eye opening how easy they are to disengage. I sold a beautiful field 391 a number of years ago when the safety disengaged 3 times on a duck hunt just from laying it across my shoulder. It was unnerving and embarrassing since I thought that I had forgot to engage it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:51 am 
Diamond Grade

My A300 safety seems fine to me, but I guess I never lay it across my shoulder as described above.

The safety is my only complaint with my trusty AL390. The left end of the safety button doesn't sit flush when in the "safe" position and I was constantly pushing on it to insure it was indeed on "safe" because the protruding button made it feel like it wasn't.