ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta Timing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:42 pm 
Utility Grade

My action seems to be a little stiff to break. The bottom lip of the bottom round drags against the receiver face. Is this normal? Can I fix it? It's rather frustrating.

Post subject: Re: Beretta Timing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm 
Crown Grade

What ammo are you using? Are you using reloads? Are the barrels original to the gun and do the numbers match? The gun appears to be possibly out of timing. Clean and lube the ejectors and the rest of the receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:51 am 
Utility Grade

lt0026 wrote:
What ammo are you using? Are you using reloads? Are the barrels original to the gun and do the numbers match? The gun appears to be possibly out of timing. Clean and lube the ejectors and the rest of the receiver.

Factory ammo tried both Federal and Winchester still happens. The whole gun is brand new with a 200 rounds through it or so. I had everything lubed pretty much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

Side-Swipe wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Factory ammo tried both Federal and Winchester still happens. The whole gun is brand new with a 200 rounds through it or so. I had everything lubed pretty much.

Did you remove the ejectors from the barrel and clean/lube? Did you pull the butt stock clean and lube the receiver? Some of the cheap steel head ammo can leave a mark on the breach face. Look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XciwLrpMVdQ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:31 am 
Utility Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Side-Swipe wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

Did you remove the ejectors from the barrel and clean/lube? Did you pull the butt stock clean and lube the receiver? Some of the cheap steel head ammo can leave a mark on the breach face. Look here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XciwLrpMVdQ

hahah, I literally just finished watching that exact video and did everything it told me to do in terms of lubing. The heads still contact. I was mainly firing Winchester Game and Target universal this weekend. On the break open the bottom case's bottom lip is dragging on the receiver.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:53 am 
Crown Grade

Universals are probably the worst shells made. Use something else. Not the cheap white box Winchester shells. If the shell change doesn't work then those ejectors are probably out of time. You are under warranty. Send it to Coles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:56 am 
Utility Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Universals are probably the worst shells made. Use something else. Not the cheap white box Winchester shells. If the shell change doesn't work then those ejectors are probably out of time. You are under warranty. Send it to Coles.

Yeah I also used Federal Field and Target, same issue. Does Coles do warranty work for Beretta? I'm sorry I am just unfamiliar.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:15 am 
Crown Grade

Yes, Coles in Maine is the best place to send it. DO NOT send it back to the factory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 am 
Limited Edition

What model is it?

I had the same problem on a new 695 last year. Gun would not close on snap caps. On live shells the rim on the bottom shell would drag on the breech face. It would flatten a portion of the rim on each bottom shell when the gun was opened. It took 6+ months for the gun to be..........."fixed."

It was eventually replaced by Beretta after much gnashing of teeth.

Whatever you do, do NOT send it to Beretta Maryland. Send it to Coles, even if you have to pay the shipping. Coles does warranty work but sometimes they cannot send a shipping label.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:14 pm 
Presentation Grade

Every O/U I've ever had makes that mark, but none have been hard to open.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:14 pm 
Utility Grade

KY-TX-A5 wrote:
What model is it?

I had the same problem on a new 695 last year. Gun would not close on snap caps. On live shells the rim on the bottom shell would drag on the breech face. It would flatten a portion of the rim on each bottom shell when the gun was opened. It took 6+ months for the gun to be..........."fixed."

Whatever you do, do NOT send it to Beretta Maryland. Send it to Coles, even if you have to pay the shipping. Coles does warranty work but sometimes they cannot send a shipping label.

697, Yeah Coles looks to know what they are doing. I touched base with them.

Does anyone know their turnaround times?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:46 pm 
Limited Edition

Side-Swipe wrote:
KY-TX-A5 wrote:
What model is it?

Sorry, do you mean 691, 693, 695 or 687? I don’t believe Beretta makes a 697.......(although with their confusing constantly evolving model numbers they might).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:00 pm 
Utility Grade

KY-TX-A5 wrote:
Side-Swipe wrote:
KY-TX-A5 wrote:
What model is it?

Sorry, do you mean 691, 693, 695 or 687? I don’t believe Beretta makes a 697.......(although with their confusing constantly evolving model numbers they might).

I apologize I hit the wrong number 687.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:36 pm 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Yes, Coles in Maine is the best place to send it. DO NOT send it back to the factory.

I would call Coles and see if they want you to send it to Maine or Naples

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:10 pm 
Crown Grade

Florida handles the DT and above. Maine for everything else. https://colegun.com/gunsmithing/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Side-Swipe wrote:
KY-TX-A5 wrote:
Side-Swipe wrote:
KY-TX-A5 wrote:
What model is it?

I apologize I hit the wrong number 687.

No worries. Based on my experience, assuming Coles can get any parts they need from Beretta, the turn around time will be 2-3 weeks. When you talk with them they will give you an estimate and it is pretty accurate in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:01 pm 
Crown Grade

Side-Swipe wrote:
My action seems to be a little stiff to break. The bottom lip of the bottom round drags against the receiver face. Is this normal? Can I fix it? It's rather frustrating.

Looks like normal wear.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Some ammo has a slightly thicker rim on the base of the hull. This would make it stick a few thousandths of an inch farther out of the chamber. Compare some different ammo and select one with a thin rim and see if it scrapes the breech face.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

It also looks like normal wear to me. I have 12 and 20 gauge 687's and both have that mark. When new both were stiff to open but loosened up after several thousand cartridges were fired in each.

Before sending the gun off to Cole's I would advise having someone familiar with 687's to handle the gun and tell you if it is too stiff opening. The mark is not an issue since you'll find it on most, if not all, 687's that have been shot some.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:23 pm 
Field Grade

I don't know if it is normal?
but I have 2 x 686, one game and one sporting.
No problem to open but they both have that ''wear'' at the back of the receiver. It is the round that is touching the back of the receiver. On the sporting it is more present. you can hear the round touching slightly when closing the gun, and you can see that there was a very slight polishing on the round.
It does it with federal top gun, rem gun club and a little more with challenger.