ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Beretta Timing
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:55 pm 
Tournament Grade

I believe that this is 100% normal. I purchased my first 686 Sporting in December 2018 as a reward to myself for surviving Open Heart Surgery. Wasn't able to actually shoot it until April 2019 and when new it was VERY stiff. Stiff enough that there were times when I considered doing it over my knee. Now after 14,000 or so rounds down range it's starting to loosen up a bit. Right down the center of the breech face there is a nice and shiny well polished stripe.

Also have a 20 gauge 686 with perhaps 3000 rounds downrange and it also has a good stripe down the breech face. This one still has a bit of new gun stiffness to it but it's not far from being fully broken in.

In regard to your concern about stiffness, that is typical for a new Beretta and you can anticipate that it will remain fairly stiff for about a year if you shoot 300-800 rounds every weekend. If you only get out once a month you'll be facing years to get it broken in. A small measure of good news is that you will get stronger so opening the gun won't seem to be that much of a burden. BTW, you'll know it's fully broken in when, with the gun already cocked, you push the lever and the gun opens to the point of engagement for the cocking rods rebounding the hammers without any "help". Note, I'm not sure if that last bit of spring tension on the cocking rods will ever go away. Right now to get it to open enough to slide a 12 gauge into the bottom barrel requires "leaning" the gun back just a bit or using a hand to hold it open.

PS; both my shotguns see near exclusive use of Remington Gun Club hulls because pre Covid they were plentiful and reload superbly. As for new ammo, the 12 gauge 686 has seen mainly Gun Clubs but early on two boxes of Herters (junk for reloads) 2 boxes of Winchester AA (will require a new press setup), and 4 boxes of Federal (too inconsistent to reload). The 20 gage has ONLY been used with Gun Clubs and I still have 4 flats of new 20 gage Gun Clubs to "freshen up" my hull stockpile.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

I took a look at my two. The 28ga. SPI has a stripe but it's a little less obvious than yours. My 12ga. 686 has almost no center stripe, but has a very defined shiny area above the top firing pin.

Both guns were very tight when new; to the point of being troublesome. They smooth out nicely. Better than being loose, then getting sloppy...

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:09 am 
Utility Grade

Thank you for everyone updating.

I think what irks me the most is the wear below the firing pin:

I'll be trying to get the gun to coles.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Did you look for ammo with a THIN rim?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Side-Swipe wrote:
I think what irks me the most is the wear below the firing pin:

I responded to you earlier in this thread that the marks on my 2 687's (12 and 20 gauges) were very similar to yours. I just looked again and there are similar marks below the firing pin to those on your gun. Your gun appears normal.

I own only the 2 Beretta O/U's but my wife and I also have 7 SxS's manufactured from 1866 to 2009 and every one of them has "contact marks" on the standing breech. Obviously they are in a different position than those on the O/U's but they are there.

Well made O/U and SxS shotguns have a very tight clearance between the standing breech and the barrel breech so I expect some marks.

You are needlessly worrying about a normal condition. Just go shoot and enjoy your gun.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:12 pm 
Field Grade

Interesting thread. I took my brand new 687 SP3 28/.410 out to the range today and mounted the .410 barrel. It would not close with a round in the bottom barrel. The lip of the round was not only striking the face of the receiver, it was catching on the hole for the firing pin. I removed and lubed the injectors but still no improvement. Out of curiosity, I switched from the cheapo Fiocchi Exacta VIP to AA and all worked flawlessly.

I have had doubles bind up when closing on my favorite Purdey horn & brass snap caps, but never on ammunition. The gun is less than two weeks old, so definitely under warranty. Is this a simple case cheapo ammo (buyer beware) or should I send her off to Coles for some work?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:50 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

TMWilsoniv wrote:
Interesting thread. I took my brand new 687 SP3 28/.410 out to the range today and mounted the .410 barrel. It would not close with a round in the bottom barrel. The lip of the round was not only striking the face of the receiver, it was catching on the hole for the firing pin. I removed and lubed the injectors but still no improvement. Out of curiosity, I switched from the cheapo Fiocchi Exacta VIP to AA and all worked flawlessly.

I have had doubles bind up when closing on my favorite Purdey horn & brass snap caps, but never on ammunition. The gun is less than two weeks old, so definitely under warranty. Is this a simple case cheapo ammo (buyer beware) or should I send her off to Coles for some work?

I suggested to the OP to try some different ammo. Not all ammo is created equally... as you found out.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:46 pm 
Field Grade

For what I paid for the Fiocchi shells, less than $90.00 for the case, I'll just chalk that one up to lesson learned. Test before you buy by the case. Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 7:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

The scratches shown in the pictures from the OP are from cheap "value" mart ammo. Shoot something with a brass base and this will be a Non-occurrence.

NSCA # 606314
682 Gold E sporting
687 EELL 20/28 GA
391 Gold sporting
870 wingmaster

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:26 am 
Field Grade

Just one thing to check before sending back for work, make sure there is no debris or gunk around the edge of bore / ejector. Use fingernail and cloth and attack that inner circle ledge.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk