ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Why was the A391 Urika DC'd
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:12 pm 
Field Grade

My dad had a flawless Beretta AL2 that was his waterfowl gun.He bought it in the late 60's/early 70's. He liked the Belgian Browning A-5, but preferred the Beretta because there was no recoil bushing. The A-5 was long considered the waterfowl shotgun.

My dad's AL2 had a 2 3/4 inch chamber. He used to routinely load baby magnums in it for geese. He'd use light loads out of the same gun for upland game. That shotgun always performed flawlessly. I doubt if it ever failed to do anything but work as intended with every variety of 2 3/4 inch load available, from light upland bird loads to baby magnums for honkers.

I've spent a good hour trying to find an A391 on the 'net. If they were poorly made shotguns as alleged, I should have found a surplus of them. I found not a single one for sale. Seems that hunters and sport shooters who own them aren't parting with them.

I'd jump all over an A391 24" barreled 20 gauge youth model if I could find one. That was one sweet upland bird gun. It weighed 6 pounds. The copy I fired had no felt recoil. It had a 3" chamber, which, I'm guessing, would've been for close distance waterfowl. For upland game up to pheasants, I'd never had difficulty dropping airborne birds with upland loads which, if my memory hasn't failed me, were less powerful than high base (or was it high brass) 20 gauge shells.

I'm a SxS bird gun hunter by heart, but I can grasp the utility of a lightweight, 24" barreled A391 youth model for upland game.

Based upon my limited exposure to shotgun hunting, Beretta has perfected semiautomatic shotguns.

BTW, I have a deposit on a 28" 687. I could have just as easily have gone with a Beretta semiautomatic. However, my experience hunting upland and waterfowl is two shots works best for me. Some ducks fly 70 MPH. If I didn't connect with the first round, the second round was less likely to drop ducks. By the time I pumped a third shell in my Wingmaster's chamber, it was well beyond shotgun range. For upland doubles, I've squandered a lot of time trying to find the first bird down. Hence, for me, 2 rounds is more that sufficient. An O/U of the same barrel length as a semiautomatic is shorter. I prefer fast handling guns, whether shotguns for upland game or big game rifles for Rocky Mountain mule deer and elk. Other hunters have differing criteria.

Post subject: Re: Why was the A391 Urika DC'd
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Simple, Beretta wasn't selling enough 391s.

Beretta discos their standard bearer auto every 10-15. The A400 is closing in on a decade, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is nearing end-of-life as well.

In my opinion, meaningful Beretta evolution for clay target use ended with the 390, and in reality likely ended with the 303.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.