ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: A 400 black
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:59 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 am
Posts: 67
Location: northern ohio
i remember reading that there was a problem with the fiber ribs . has this problem been addressed and resolved ?
the reason i ask is that i am looking at a new black A400 and trying to compare it to a l4s sporting with the real wood stock ( not the tri wood )
any and all information is welcome . thanks in advance , dan




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:27 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 2856
Location: Central Maine
I have heard of issues with the carbon fiber rib but not witnessed it. Call Coles and discuss it. Their Maine shop is great on anything to do with Beretta and the gas guns

An alternative is a standard excel coated to black. Coles an provide that too. I actually have that as my A400 black was one of the early ones done by Coles before Beretta brought it to the market. Mine is over 3 years old and over 20K rounds and still looking very nice. Coating has held up great.

_________________
CG Summit Sporting
Beretta A400 Excel "Black" Cole Special
Browning Citori Crossover Target
Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:26 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 5953
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=455646


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 am 
Presentation Grade
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:28 am
Posts: 781
dandee wrote:
i remember reading that there was a problem with the fiber ribs . has this problem been addressed and resolved ?
the reason i ask is that i am looking at a new black A400 and trying to compare it to a l4s sporting with the real wood stock ( not the tri wood )
any and all information is welcome . thanks in advance , dan


What's wrong with an old fashioned steel rib that is soldered to the barrel?

Why do we want to go to high tech plastic?

Looks? a miniscule amount of weight?

Obviously plastic is going to be less durable than steel?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:46 am 
Crown Grade
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:46 am
Posts: 8587
Location: Colorado Springs, Co
I had the rib come off my A-400 Xcel Black.
$.17 pin to replace it.
Haven’t shot it since.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:47 am 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:24 pm
Posts: 51
Location: British Columbia
I bought a Black at the end of 2020. Proactively put a bit of Blue Loktite into the roll pin (its a split pin so the Loktite can seep around it) that holds the back of the carbon fiber rib on it. No issues with the pin moving and the gun has been fired about 2,000 rounds since.

As per the Black with the Kickoff...I really like it. Reliability is and has been 100% for all loads....light 7/8 oz loads to 1-1/8 oz loads. I shoot it preferentially to my 20 year old 391 Urika Sporter, both with 30" barrels.

And I get a fair amount of favorable comments on the excellent appearance of the gun, LOL. Good luck with your decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:43 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:53 am
Posts: 67
Location: northern ohio
paracord wrote:
dandee wrote:
i remember reading that there was a problem with the fiber ribs . has this problem been addressed and resolved ?
the reason i ask is that i am looking at a new black A400 and trying to compare it to a l4s sporting with the real wood stock ( not the tri wood )
any and all information is welcome . thanks in advance , dan


What's wrong with an old fashioned steel rib that is soldered to the barrel?

Why do we want to go to high tech plastic?

Looks? a miniscule amount of weight?

Obviously plastic is going to be less durable than steel?

i need 14 inch length of pull , the blue is 14 1/4 , i don't like the kickoff , also want 28 inch barrel .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:51 pm 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:04 am
Posts: 3201
CG/Fabarm customer service is second to none should you ever need it. Don`t have an L4S Sporting, but my L4S IH has been flawless. They like to run on the wet side, particularly early on.

_________________
Fabarm L4S Initial Hunter
Remington 870 Super Magnum Turkey
Remington V3 Walnut
Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:36 pm
Posts: 118
Location: Nebraska
dandee wrote:
paracord wrote:
dandee wrote:
i remember reading that there was a problem with the fiber ribs . has this problem been addressed and resolved ?
the reason i ask is that i am looking at a new black A400 and trying to compare it to a l4s sporting with the real wood stock ( not the tri wood )
any and all information is welcome . thanks in advance , dan


What's wrong with an old fashioned steel rib that is soldered to the barrel?

Why do we want to go to high tech plastic?

Looks? a miniscule amount of weight?

Obviously plastic is going to be less durable than steel?

i need 14 inch length of pull , the blue is 14 1/4 , i don't like the kickoff , also want 28 inch barrel .


The length of pull isn’t going to vary between the standard blue xcel and a400 black if you are comparing the same configurations (kick off v. non-kickoff). The non-kickoff is a little longer but not much, maybe 1/8 - 1/4”. Not very noticeable. I think there was also a thread about getting to 14” by removing a spacer or o-ring in the kickoff unit.

If you want a 28”, your best bet is to buy the standard blue xcel and have it cerakoted black. Then you’re also getting the stronger, non-gimmicky rib too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: A 400 black
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:38 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am
Posts: 860
carbon fiber, great for race cars and aviation, not so much for firearms.



_________________
Muller Mafia
NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 47MolineRTU, AJ-M12, Alleycat, Auzzie Shot, barkerwc4362, Basstar, bgnmi, Bing [Bot], birdhunter39, Bob_K, bradcroz, copperboy, customf1, dcr5468, dickgtax, Drew Hause, EricB, fecmech, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, hes, Husker90, ithacanut, jackwolter, JerseyJim, John H, Johnny S, JPFROG, jusanothajoe, komatsu, kwb377, Kyler Hamann, Malcolm7, Mallard Cutter, McFarmer, mikeydio, Mkk, msmith, Mule Driver, norv, Osiek, Peter45, pjmx, pops78, PtJudeRI, RBT Hunter, ric1911a1, RichM, rickeroo, Rooster booster, Scardog7, scottyhammond, scrugneysgundogs, shootandfish2, skar, snooky, SuperXOne, Tailchaser, tdyoung58, TMWilsoniv, took, toptechX6, tracker 6, vhntr1, Westender, z4lunch


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice