ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 680 series trigger mechanism?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 3:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I have two Beretta Silver Pigeon 1's purchased about two years ago a 12 and 20 ga. on the surface they are pretty nice guns but when I shoot with my club for some in house competition they stink. If I do 50 or 100 rounds the triggers on each will bind up on two of the shots causing me a miss and a lost point or two which can make a big difference. I have taken them under warranty for service but it didn't help. I would like to upgrade to a Beretta O/U with a better quality trigger mechanism, does anyone know which that would be? Thanks Joe

Post subject: Re: Beretta 680 series trigger mechanism?
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:16 pm 
Crown Grade

Who did the warranty service?

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 5:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Are you are fully releasing the triggers before the second shot? I’ve done that a few times with my SP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 pm 
Limited Edition

Took to an authorized dealer in Connecticut!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:50 am 
Limited Edition

Yes fully releasing triggers, it also happens on the first shot sometimes and on the second shot of a double???????

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:30 am 
Field Grade

seacilian wrote:
Yes fully releasing triggers, it also happens on the first shot sometimes and on the second shot of a double???????
Trigger "binds" after a second shot too? Yeah, that doesnt seem like a trigger release issue - smells more like a weak spring / out of spec part / debris.

How did you clear the bind? Opening action?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:32 am 
Limited Edition

I would send your guns to Cole's, they specialize in Beretta's and do excellent work.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am 
Crown Grade

I'd send it to either Coles or Phil Crenwelge (excellent trigger smith)

One of Many

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:42 am 
Crown Grade

You could try pulling the stocks and cleaning the actions as a first move but variable trigger pull weight on the 6xx series Berettas has been mentioned here and various other places for some years. It doesn't bother those who slap the trigger, but if you have a light touch and get used to the usual pull weight, it feels like it's locking up when it goes heavy. A gunsmith friend showed me how the interceptor sear worked and how it can occasional impede the main sear when it's not supposed to.

All 3 of my Berettas had the issue and had a lot to do with why I got rid of them.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 am 
Presentation Grade

seacilian wrote:
I have two Beretta Silver Pigeon 1's purchased about two years ago a 12 and 20 ga. on the surface they are pretty nice guns but when I shoot with my club for some in house competition they stink. If I do 50 or 100 rounds the triggers on each will bind up on two of the shots causing me a miss and a lost point or two which can make a big difference. I have taken them under warranty for service but it didn't help. I would like to upgrade to a Beretta O/U with a better quality trigger mechanism, does anyone know which that would be? Thanks Joe

I don't think the problem is the quality of the triggers. The 680 series is a workhorse, proven competition design.

There's gotta be some other symptom that would likely be present even on a different gun. You should figure that out first.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Lock the barrel selector, you are probably sweeping it to the center with your thumb when you open the gun.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:12 pm 
Limited Edition

Trickster, I think you and I hit the nail on the head with these Berettas. I will be selling the 12ga then the 20. Thanks Joe

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:41 pm 
Diamond Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Lock the barrel selector, you are probably sweeping it to the center with your thumb when you open the gun.

Quite possible. My wife does this and the fix is to only fire lower barrel first.

I have had issues with the beretta trigger on one sp3 I bought used. Would not fire upper then lower. Only lower then upper. Needed a little work on the sears. Has worked flawlessly since then.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am 
Limited Edition

I shoot lower barrel first it doesn't matter the triggers are just not right and it is a shame they are nice guns but you get what you pay for. I think it is a bigger issue but unless you shoot many rounds and often it might not be a big deal to some shooters. Thanks Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:33 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

seacilian wrote:
I shoot lower barrel first it doesn't matter the triggers are just not right and it is a shame they are nice guns but you get what you pay for. I think it is a bigger issue but unless you shoot many rounds and often it might not be a big deal to some shooters. Thanks Joe

On the 680 series, with the selector to the LEFT (exposing one dot), it will fire the bottom barrel. What is likely happening is you are pushing the selector to the RIGHT (toward center) with your thumb as you are opening the gun. It won't take much to lock the triggers if you don't have the barrel selector completely on one side or the other.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 680 series triggers, they've competed and won at the highest levels of EVERY clay target sport, I don't think people would have taken them to the Olympics if they were defective. Now there may be something wrong with YOUR gun, however I'd bet that my suspicion is correct.

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
On the 680 series, with the selector to the LEFT (exposing one dot), it will fire the bottom barrel. What is likely happening is you are pushing the selector to the RIGHT (toward center) with your thumb as you are opening the gun. It won't take much to lock the triggers if you don't have the barrel selector completely on one side or the other.
Okay it can happen, but in that scenario the trigger stays locked until the selector is physically reset. I'm sure Joe would have spotted that.

We'll have to agree to disagree about 6xx triggers. I was only talking to an ex Beretta shooter today who got so fed up with the variable trigger pulls that he dumped his Beretta recently. Like me he doesn't slap the trigger and when it goes heavy it feels like it's locked up. (His words!) He even made up a trigger pull gauge and tested 100 pulls just to prove that what was happening was real and not him flinching.

I'm not knocking Beretta quality here, I've had 3 of them over a period of 6 or 7 years, but historically speaking there have been many reports about this issue so I'm not the only messenger.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Trickster, you are right on the money!!! FYI all, my barrel selector is fully locked to the left for bottom barrel first shot. The 680 series guns have a problem. What level do we have to move up to for a better series trigger in a Beretta O/U? DT11? Thanks Joe

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:28 pm 
Crown Grade

I have a DT10, I like the trigger. I had Phil Crenwelge work on it once years ago when I had an occasional misfire. It's been perfect since and I don't notice any inconsistencies.

But I don't have a problem with any of my 68x series guns either, so --.

One of Many

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:52 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

seacilian wrote:
Trickster, you are right on the money!!! FYI all, my barrel selector is fully locked to the left for bottom barrel first shot. The 680 series guns have a problem. What level do we have to move up to for a better series trigger in a Beretta O/U? DT11? Thanks Joe

Fully locked as in pinned or screwed in place?

Also, if/when you change barrel selection, are you putting the safety on first? This is a common problem with Perazzis, where you must put the safety on before you change selection or it will induce a malfunction.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:07 am 
Limited Edition

Skeet_man I never change the selector always shoot bottom barrel first. Trickster gets it he knows what I am saying and hears it from others. I will try shooting top barrel first and see what happens, will post my results it may take a few weeks . Thanks Joe