ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: That Baby is Mine
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

I've just picked up a 687 12 gauge with 28" barrels. It should arrive at my FFL early next week.

What can knowledgeable Beretta O/U aficionados tell me about this shotgun? I've never owned an O/U shotgun. Its primary use will be turning clay birds into mist and hunting upland birds.

I can be a very slow learner, but experience is an excellent teacher. After many years of upland game bird hunting, I finally forged out that if I didn't drop a bird on the second shot, a fired third shot was wasted. Flushed quail put a lot of distance behind them in a huge hurry. By the time I pumped a third shell in chamber, a flushed quail was at the edge or beyond shot shell distance. Hence, being a slow learner while having benefit of experience, 2 quick shots at upland birds is wing shooting nirvana for me.

Which way should I go with a TSA approved hard case? Beretta has 25% off of its leather cases. I do not know where they're manufactured. The Negrini upland case looks perfect, but its price caused brain damage.

My preference was a 20 gauge. Because I am clueless of lead substitute shot, I thought a 12 gauge would be on the safe side. What's the upland bird load for 12 gauge? From memory alone it used to be 1 1/8 oz lead shot, 5 % 6 for pheasant and 7 1/2 for smaller upland birds.

Post subject: Re: That Baby is Mine
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:50 pm 
Crown Grade

A lot will depend on where and how you hunt - wild birds with no dogs or flushers compared to pen-raised with pointers are different animals but your initial ammo choice is a good start.

As to a TSA case; if you are planning on lots of flying, I would get a Pelican first, SKB second

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:20 pm 
Presentation Grade

1911-A1 wrote:
I've just picked up a 687 12 gauge with 28" barrels. It should arrive at my FFL early next week.

What can knowledgeable Beretta O/U aficionados tell me about this shotgun? I've never owned an O/U shotgun. Its primary use will be turning clay birds into mist and hunting upland birds.

I can be a very slow learner, but experience is an excellent teacher. After many years of upland game bird hunting, I finally forged out that if I didn't drop a bird on the second shot, a fired third shot was wasted. Flushed quail put a lot of distance behind them in a huge hurry. By the time I pumped a third shell in chamber, a flushed quail was at the edge or beyond shot shell distance. Hence, being a slow learner while having benefit of experience, 2 quick shots at upland birds is wing shooting nirvana for me.

Which way should I go with a TSA approved hard case? Beretta has 25% off of its leather cases. I do not know where they're manufactured. The Negrini upland case looks perfect, but its price caused brain damage.

My preference was a 20 gauge. Because I am clueless of lead substitute shot, I thought a 12 gauge would be on the safe side. What's the upland bird load for 12 gauge? From memory alone it used to be 1 1/8 oz lead shot, 5 % 6 for pheasant and 7 1/2 for smaller upland birds.

Congrats on the new gun. I'm a bit confused though? You talk about lead shot substitute for the 20 ga but lead 5, 6, or 7.5 for the 12 ga. Why not use lead shot in a 20 ga also?

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi noweil,

I was looking for nontoxic substitutes for 5 & 6 lead shot for pheasants and 7 1/2 lead shot for smaller birds.

I much prefer 20 gauge for upland game. However, nontoxic shot mandates have altered the hunting landscape. When lead shot was legal in CA, Rem ShurShot and identical loadings from other manufacturers were very effective.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

It is a gorgeous shotgun. I'll have to do a few rounds of clays with it to assure its fit, balance, and point are as perfect as she looks.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:52 am 
Utility Grade

Extremely wonderful ..