ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wood Re-finish 686 SP1
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:37 am 
Utility Grade

Just picked up a new SP1. The wood finish looks odd, almost as if a single coat of oil base stain was haphazardly wiped on, with lots of lighter spots here and there. Am actually somewhat disappointed.

Believe a light sanding and refinish would uniformly darken and protect the wood. Desire a rich and durable weather resultant low gloss or satin finish to compliment the workmanship of what I hope is a well built firearm.

Looking for any advice from those who have done the same.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Wood Re-finish 686 SP1
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:46 am 
Crown Grade

Lots of finishing threads and materials discussed in the gunsmithing forum. One option to consider is Timberluxe right over the top of what you have.

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... Timberluxe

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:55 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's another product that can be put on over the existing oil finish,I used it on my '11

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Watco-1-pt- ... /203164644

Home Depot has it and sure some other's carry it also

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:05 am 
Crown Grade

Why did you take delivery if you felt the finish was sub standard?

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 6:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Second vote for Timberluxe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 2:06 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have used velvit oil with good results. Get something with a stain mixed in. Min wax also makes a stain and poly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:59 pm 
Utility Grade

lt0026 wrote:
Why did you take delivery if you felt the finish was sub standard?

Several reasons -

1.With current conditions, several hours on the phone and online showed them difficult to locate and needed soon. Did manage to find another in a local shop that was significantly worse than this one, so ordered from my usual dealer and even then waited several months.

2. Realize the SP1 is a field grade and does not have gorgeous wood or impeccable stain. Was primary after the mechanical performance, but expected at least an "average" finish.

3. Honestly thought a good coat of furniture oil would darken and even things out.
Didn't help the way I expected.

Appreciate the comments from those recommending a good finish from experience. Don't expect it will be difficult to resolve.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:51 pm 
Tournament Grade

686's are great guns, but they've got literally the plainest chunk of wood on them. Damn near builders grade 2 x 4.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:56 am 
Presentation Grade

I have your gun's sibling, I think.

First, 40Shot is right about the wood on SP1 guns. Mine is from a billet that was rejected by a wise cabinet maker, in my opinion. There is significant grain 'run-out' on the off side, and some run-out on the opposite side. The original finish was lackluster, and I could feel the runout grain as lightly coarse.

I bought it aware, and have no regrets. It shoots great, even when I'm the gunner.

It is looking a lot better now, too. I've been very slowly adding coats of LinSpeed, and it is slow but works well. I'm following the instructions carefully, and not rushing it.

Good luck.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:27 am 
Crown Grade

My 28 ga 686 turned white after its first day in the field (it was rainy and cold). I keep a small jar of boiled linseed oil mixed with alkanet root powder in my gun room. I took small, like 1" x 1", squares of 1000 grit wet/dry paper and put a couple drops of my oil concoction and worked it into the surface. Wipe off all excess when your done. The alkanet root darkens and gives a bit of red color to the stock. Its a much smoother finish and hasn't had any weather issues since. I touch it up now with just a cleaning patch when needed.

One of Many

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 7:29 pm 
Utility Grade

As a follow-up, went with the suggestion from hopper810. The local Home Depot had the Watco Walnut Danish Oil in stock for around $10. Also found it recommended for oil finished stocks by Beretta (on an obscure link in their website). Followed directions and two coats went on easily over the existing finish in an afternoon. Has darkened slightly and uniformly, plus added a slight satin sheen to the wood which now looks more presentable.

Although the literature says it's a mixture of stain and varnish which should penetrate and give some protection, there is mention it's not for exterior use. Being I seldom hunt in heavy rain, now thinking if conditions dictate I can apply a good furniture wax a couple times during hunting season or refinish later using Timberluxe as several others suggested.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I use Renaissance Wax on mine and water just beads up and rolls right off :) But there are a couple of other waxes that also work well :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 4:39 am 
Field Grade

Ditto on the Renaissance Wax.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:32 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm a fan of True Oil. While it does take a lot of time the result can be a wonderful gloss finish. Note, a tip on applying True Oil. It's a wipe on finish but you do NOT want to soak a rag and wipe it on. The goal is to apply many many really thin coats. I fill a 5cc Transfer Syringe with True Oil and apply a drop of oil and then spread it as far as I can with a thumb or finger. Between uses I plug the syringe with a straight pin in the tip. Yeah, it can take 30-50 "coats" to get to the final finish but it really is worth the effort. Note, drying time is about 6 hours between applications and it will take 48 hours before it's "hard" enough that you can take the gun shooting. As a result I'll work on the finish from Sunday evening to Thursday morning and then it hangs to dry until Saturday morning.

Currently I am working in the finish on a Silver Pigeon III 28/410 Joel Etchen Special with a EELL wood upgrade. As delivered the stock had a Matte Finish with no pore filling on the stock at all. Oddly enough both forearms were rather well filled. Now I have it at the point where it's completely filled and I'm wet sanding the finish with 2000 grit between coats to get the finish perfectly level. Still debating on re-cutting the checkering to remove the darkening from the Laser but I believe that it may be 32 LPI checkering and I am really hesitant about re-cutting something that fine.

Anyhow, it's a work in progress but that gloss finish really brings out the luster in the wood.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:43 pm 
Crown Grade

scooter123,

Nicely done !

DF

Montani Semper Liberi

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thank you DF. I decided to re-cut the checkering because the darkened wood due to the Laser process hides the grain in the checkered areas. Just finished with the right side and the difference is very noticeable. Now all I have to do is the left side and both forearms.