ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California Girl Gorgeous Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

I finally have my 687 12 gauge 28" barrels. It's California Girl gorgeous. The wood appears of higher grade than advertised. Its distinctive grain is latitudinal with lines seeming to elongate from stock to forearm. The action locks tighter than a Fort Knox vault, yet releases quote easily with a slight nudge of its lever. It's heavier than I anticipated, probably due to wood density.

I was incredulous that Beretta did not include an owners manual with it.

The only do-over I'd consider is going with 26" barrels. Its 28" barrels does seem to have balance favoring the muzzle.

Some four decades ago, I watched a cop wreak carnage on clay birds using a then standard law enforcement 870 with an 18" cylinder bore barrel. He gained proficiency with it turning clay birds in to a fine mist. Form his ability with a standard law enforcement 18" barreled shotgun I learned that knowledge of how a shotgun performs is more important than barrel length.

All-in-all, I'm elated with my 687. I'll buy another.

This is merely my opinion: a 26" barreled 28 gauge 680 series shotgun would be the perfect upland game gun. I'm old school. I do not need 3" shells to drop upland birds. Hence, I'd want an old school 28 gauge: 2 3/4" chambers! Then there's reality. A box of 28 gauge shells is about 25% more expensive than 12 and 20 gauge shells.

I won't get anywhere close to my nearest trap range. Memorial Day Weekend crowds would be worse at trap ranges than at Disneyland. I'll have to wait for airborne pellets to fly out of her barrels. I'm thinking Tuesday.

Last edited by 1911-A1 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: California Girl Gorgeous Shotgun
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 1:46 pm 
Limited Edition

I`ll believe it when I see it!!

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Qdog002,

I've tried to post five photos of California Girl Gorgeous, but SW wouldn't permit me to upload them.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:29 pm 
Tournament Grade

There is trick to posting images in most forums. First you have to place your images on a photo hosting web site. Next you have to use a specific type of command to provide a link to your image. Hopefully the use of quotes will allow me to get this formatting to display. "[img]link_to_image[/img]" Note that forward slash in the second img command, forget that and your image won't display.

As an example I use Postimage.org as an image host and here is a picture of my 687 SPIII combo gun. Yeah, the wood is rather spectacular but that is due to this particular special features an EELL wood upgrade.

PS; I'll also note that every single Beretta I have purchased new has had an owners manual packed in the case with the gun. If yours was missing that is because your dealer opened up the gun case to inspect for defects or hidden damage from shipping and forgot to put the paperwork back in the case. I would suggest that you contact your dealer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:38 pm 
Field Grade

scooter123, You have obviously put some work into your wood. What, pray tell, have you used and done? It is gorgeous. I have used Howard's Feed & Wax on my 687 combos (JEG, of course) but have not gotten near the same level of pop as you have.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Hi scooter123,

Thanks for your photo tutorial.

You have a gorgeous shotgun. My 687 is nowhere close to your shotgun's echelon of gorgeous.

I bought 2 Beretta shotguns within a week: a 687 and a 1301 Tactical. Neither came with an owners manual. I had to get manuals for each from Beretta. I bought my 687 from Etchen.

My impulse to buy a 687 28 gauge was tempered after seeing prices of 28 gauge shells.

I'm not too far from this vendor: https://www.bolsagunsmithing.com. It used to have huge inventories of Beretta/Sako products. I might wander though that store next week.

This place is a little farther away: https://pacificsportingarms.com. I've not yet been been to Pacific. Word-of-mouth is it's a high end candy store for afflicted shotgun aficionados.

The point is I've becoming afflicted. I know where I can go to find what I want. I want a 28 gauge O/U with 26" barrels. For me, I'm thinking it would be the perfect upland bird gun.

Last edited by 1911-A1 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:44 am 
Field Grade

1911-A1 wrote:
Hi scooter123,

Thanks for your photo tutorial.

You have a gorgeous shotgun. My 687 is nowhere close to your shotgun's echelon of gorgeous.

I bought 2 Beretta shotguns within a week: a 687 and a 1301 Tactical. Neither came with an owners manual. I had to get manuals for each from Beretta. I bought my 687 from Etchen.

My impulse to buy a 687 28 gauge was tempered after seeing prices of 28 gauge shells.

I'm not too far from this vendor: https://www.bolsagunsmithing.com. It used to have huge inventories of Beretta/Sako products. I might wander though that store next week.

This place is a little farther away: https://pacificsportingarms.com. I've been been to Pacific. Word-of-mouth is it's a high end candy store for afflicted shotgun aficionados.

The point is I've becoming afflicted. I know where I can go to find what I want. I want a 28 gauge O/U with 26" barrels. For me, I'm thinking it would be the perfect upland bird gun.

I live in Huntington Beach and go to Pacific Sporting Arms and Bolsa Gunsmithing regularly. If you have not been to Pacific, you absolutely have to go. Their inventory is breathtaking. I’ve bought a few guns from them and always look forward to going there. You can stop at LA Clays and shoot a little on the way there or back.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

Hi Harborcat,

I grew up in HB. I have a lot of friends who still live in HB.

I'm in South OC now.

I can remember when Bolsa Gunsmithing was called Bolsa Gun Shop and located on Bolsa at Euclid. I was in Bolsa Gunsmithing about a year ago.

Thanks for the Pacific Sporting Arms info. But for freeway traffic, I'd go, The 10, 210, 605, and 57 FWYS are parking lots during business hours.

Do you shoot the Norco range? I checked it out a few weeks ago, It was mid-week around 1:00 pm. There were only a few shooters on the clays lines. It looked like a great place for shotgun target shooting.

Take care mi amigo.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:59 pm 
Field Grade

1911-A1 wrote:
Some four decades ago, I watched a cop wreak carnage on clay birds using a then standard law enforcement 870 with an 18" cylinder bore barrel. He gained proficiency with it turning clay birds in to a fine mist. Form his ability with a standard law enforcement 18" barreled shotgun I learned that knowledge of how a shotgun performs is more important than barrel length.

Every once in a while I'll shoot Skeet with my Beretta 1201FP ... It's a 20" .... It does it's part if I do mine.

Beretta 686 Onyx Field, 20g
Beretta A300,12g
Beretta 1200 12g
Beretta 1201 12g
Remington 870 12g