ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a400 xcel barrel play
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

had replaced a hammer spring in my excel and reassembled.

when i tightened the barrel on with the end cap... i can feel and hear play as i can pull the barrel slightly out of the receiver and push it back in.

retightened end cap... same deal.

no obvious interference points inside, etc.

took the gun apart, and installed the end cap without the forearm.... now i can tighten the end cap enough so there is no play.

where/how could the forearm develop space or interference to stop the endcap from tightening correctly (when it hadn't ever been a problem before)?

Post subject: Re: a400 xcel barrel play
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:38 am 
Tournament Grade

Investigating more... I believe it has to be the forearm that's the issue. I don't know if maybe it swelled with weather, etc. and has lengthened by 1 to 2 mm. This prevents the endcap from screwing down tight to get that last mm or so into the receiver.

For now... i took a lock washer and placed it on the threaded end of the gas system... only as a spacer... not to lock things... but this allows the end cap (blue part to tighten down against the piston and push the barrel into the receiver. the silver part of the end cap can then be tightened against the clicker.

overall... this is a matter of millimeters to get it right. if i had a washer that i could seat against the gas system for the spacer that was much thinner... i would.. but getting id/od right to work is tough with common washers.

i'd like to find the end cap spring original dimensions to see if i had a new one if it would be longer and stronger than the current one...and if that would be enough to handle this.

otherwise...i'd guess the forearm would have to be tweaked ever so slightly.

gonna test fire later today.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

well my temp fix works.

but i've also figured out what's actually wrong.

my end cap is missing a part.

the spring i currently just have on the threaded rod should be retained in the end cap with a sort of dull grey collar that is held on by the outer silver ring of the eend cap.

tryinbg to find out if i can get that part separately... or if i have to buy a whole end cap.

also tearing apart the gun cleaning room to see if the damn thing is just laying there...but i've got no memory of taking that cap apart, nor having that part in my hands... so no clue when or where it would have been removed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:04 am 
Field Grade

Verify the forend is all the way back tight to the front of the receiver.

On my 12 ga Xcel Black during re-assembly the forend occasionally doesn't fully index back when I tighten the magazine cap....leaving a condition like you describe. On my 391s they always are in the correct position...must be the inletting and design on the A400.

As per losing parts from the magazine cap, never had an issue with the three A400's I've owned nor the three 391's. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:51 am 
Crown Grade

And make sure the bolt is locked to the rear when installing the barrel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

never had any issues through the thousands of rounds, and lots of disassembly/reassembly... just for whatever reason... took that end cap apart and that's been the root of all evil i believe. will confirm once i have replacement. for now... my temp fix works and the gun functions great.