ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a300 sporting vs a 400 xcel ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 pm 
Field Grade

I would like to have suggestions and opinions:

I want to buy a semi-auto for clays: skeet, sporting and 5 stand
5 000rds/ year 1 on or 11/2 on
I want a very light recoil shotgun

Am I with a good choice: a300 with 30'' a 400 with 28'' and kick-off
did the a 400 worth the difference in $

A reviewer once said that the a 300 was really a cheap shotgun, no polished parts...

Your point of view please

Post subject: Re: a300 sporting vs a 400 xcel ?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:33 am 
Crown Grade

pow1 wrote:
I would like to have suggestions and opinions:

I want to buy a semi-auto for clays: skeet, sporting and 5 stand
5 000rds/ year 1 on or 11/2 on
I want a very light recoil shotgun

Am I with a good choice: a300 with 30'' a 400 with 28'' and kick-off
did the a 400 worth the difference in $

A reviewer once said that the a 300 was really a cheap shotgun, no polished parts...

Your point of view please

Beretta will release an A-300 ULTIMA with a KickOff soon.
Most people are pleased with their A-300!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:57 am 
Crown Grade

The A300 is a nice shotgun and a great value.

Personally though for high volume use I would go the the A400 excel. Shoot 1 ounce target loads thru it and the kick off really isn’t necessary to achieve very comfortable shooting

The two guns are quite different and meant for a little different market and use. Both are reliable, typically have good parts support and several great service providers in the states including Cole fine guns who is top notch

Beretta A400 20 Gauge

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:08 am 
Tournament Grade

I have never shot an A300, so, I cannot comment about that gun. I have owned and shot my A400 Xcel sporting 30" w/kick off for the last 8 or so years. It is a wonderful shotgun that digests any load that you with to put through it from 7/8 oz to 1 1/8 oz. without a single issue. I love the kick off option and if I had to do it all over again I would once again buy the kick off option. Some will tell you that the Xcel is light enough shooting that you do not need kick off, however, I have shot a friends Xcel without the kick off and I can certainly feel the difference in recoil between his gun and mine. In a nutshell, the A400 is a great gun!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:07 pm 
Field Grade

I have both the A300 Sporting w/30" barrel and A400 Xcel Sporting w/30" barrel. I started with the A300 and shot it for a year without any issues. I purchased the A400, partially because I wanted one and partially due to its reputation. There is nothing wrong with the A300, it does not seem the barrel has lengthened forcing cones, uses Mobilchoke system, and the finish is a flat matte. It is older technology, but not ancient, so it is definitely a serviceable shotgun.

As to the A400, it does have lengthened forcing cones, OptimaHP chokes, and a feel that is sleeker (subjective). Lately I have been shooting the A400 every weekend and while it does not have the kick-off, I have shot 200 rounds will no ill effect. To me it is worth the additional money. I like it so much, I got a 20ga A400 Xcel w/ 28" barrel.

I will admit I have added the heavy balance cap and stock weights to all three to get the weight up where I like it.

JD

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:23 am 
Presentation Grade

I have a A400 xcel with kick off, love it, banged through the classes with it, great gun, you get the upgraded gas system in the xcel over the a300, you also get the benelli design infused rotating bolt head without the dreaded "benelli" click. The A400 xcel gives you more options kick off non kick off, barrel lengths, black or blue receiver/carbon rib etc.

The A300 sporting is a great gun, features the 391 and 390 style gas system older bolt design that does not have a rotating bolt head. Both guns have 10mm ribs , the post above me is correct regarding the mobile choke barrel vs the optima hp barrel, many claim the mobile choke barrels shoot tight, I can't confirm that though as I've never patterned either my a400 xcel or my a300 hunting gun.

I think beretta offered the A300 sporting as a nice simple stripped down clean option to the person who wants a rain gun, back up gun etc, without being broke, and then also needs the beretta dependability.

A few guys here have put some serious rounds through their a300's and they have no problems. I have a black synthetic one for ducking, 28 inch barrels and I've managed to bring home plenty of birds, so it will go bang and it will smash clays and birds when you do your part.

NSCA#620844
"Il suffit de regarder l'oiseau"