ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Checkering chronology
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:41 am 
Utility Grade

Does anyone know when the lower end 68x o/u stocks went from hand checkering to laser cut checkering. Would be good information to know when evaluating used guns.

Ok. Any ideas where I could research this? Don't see anything on Beretta's site.

Post subject: Re: Checkering chronology
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:32 pm 
Utility Grade

nfa1eab wrote:
Does anyone know when the lower end 68x o/u stocks went from hand checkering to laser cut checkering. Would be good information to know when evaluating used guns.

Ok. Any ideas where I could research this? Don't see anything on Beretta's site.

Surely somone has this information on this forum. Help Please!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:23 pm 
Crown Grade

nfa1eab wrote:

Does it really affect the price if hand checkered vs laser?
I wouldn’t think it would make much difference??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Don’t know about laser, but computer controlled machine checkering appeared in the late 1960s to early ‘70s in this country. Don’t know about Italy.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:25 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm thinking that checkering appearance matters, not how it was accomplished.
Look at the individual gun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:19 pm 
Field Grade

nfa1eab wrote:
nfa1eab wrote:

Surely somone has this information on this forum. Help Please!

You might try: Cole Gunsmithing, Joel Etchen and Beretta. But I'd call them directly and talk to someone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:57 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I do not know the chronology. I will address one of the other comments. I have the latest SP1 with the whatever it is for checkering. I think that came into being in the last 2 years. From several feet it looks like fine grained checkering. It grips strong. From up close it just looks bad. It looks like some sort of laser burn to me. But I do not know. Then there are the Beretta stocks with the little ovals burned in instead of checkering. Not my cup of tea and I passed on beautiful grained 682 because of the so called checkering. I am glad I did. I like my SP1 with the new barrel design and its eBay replacement stocks better, I think. And I have $1800 or so in change to spend on shooting it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:19 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hand checkering will almost always have some flaws. Look for “run-overs” at the borders, slight variations in spacing and similar obvious variations. Lasers and machines will be almost perfect.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

casonet wrote:
Hand checkering will almost always have some flaws. Look for “run-overs” at the borders, slight variations in spacing and similar obvious variations. Lasers and machines will be almost perfect.

Does it have any effect on value?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Hard to say. It would depend on the gun. Hand checkering is expected on high end guns like English best guns although I would not be surprised that more high end guns would get the machine or laser to reduce the costs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Certainly good hand checkering would have an affect on value of a valuable gun. But....at entry level prices they have to cut costs somewhere and that seems to be a place of choice. And the laser cut stuff is worlds better than some of the really bad checkering on some cheap guns.