ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta 302 Drop-In Choke Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm 
Utility Grade

Hello - I'm new to the forums, but have been an upland hunter and trap shooter for over a decade. Got a 686 for college graduation and that's where my love for Beretta began. I'm looking forward to learning from folks here more knowledgeable than me!

My question: I recently bought a Beretta 302 in 12ga, complete with a set of four drop-in chokes. When the choke is inserted into the barrel, the ring around the front of the choke doesn't seat all the way down flush on the muzzle. The back of the choke definitely feels like it's fully seated inside the barrel. Judging from my optima and mobil chokes on other guns, I'd have guessed that with these drop-ins, the front ring of the choke would sit flush down on the muzzle. Am I missing something, or am I just over-thinking this?

Post subject: Re: Beretta 302 Drop-In Choke Question
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:47 pm 
Presentation Grade

I believe these drop in chokes were the first generation that beretta used before they introduced their Mobil choke series of screw-in chokes...as long as the collar that screws onto the muzzle seats tightly, you are good to go.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:22 am 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the reply. The collar definitely screws down tightly, so I’ll stop worrying about it. I appreciate your input.

I realize my description maybe wasn’t great, so here’s a picture of the fully seated tube with the gap between the ring and then muzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:00 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Something isn't right here! I have a Browning B80, which is essentially a rebadged Beretta A303. It too has removable chokes that fit perfectly flush. Mine takes "Invector" chokes, which may or may not be a function of it sporting the Browning name. I'm curious to see if your barrel has any markings as to choke type and what is actually noted on the choke itself?

Last edited by RUT on Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Are those the correct chokes for that gun?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Post subject: Beretta 302 Drop-In Choke Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:28 pm 
Utility Grade

Thanks for the replies!

RUT wrote:
Something isn't right here! I have a Browning B80, which is essentially a rebadged Beretta A303. It too has removable chokes that fit perfectly flush. Mine takes "Invector" chokes, which may or may not be a function of it sporting the Browning name. I'm curious to see if your barrel has any markings as to choke type and what is actually noted on the choke itself?

I have a 20ga. 303 that has the screw in Mobil chokes - like your B80, a great gun. My understanding is that the 302 introduced the drop-in chokes, and the 303 (or very late 302s) introduced the screw-in Mobil choke. I've uploaded some pics of the barrel markings below, but nothing that indicates it was at once point a fixed-choke barrel that was refitted (and seems like refitting with drop-ins would be a weird choice, anyway).

oneounceload wrote:
Are those the correct chokes for that gun?

I believe so - bought the gun second-hand and it came with the original manual, choke tube cases/sleeves, and choke wrench. Having said that, although the chokes are all the same length/dimensions, only two have any markings other than the 1-5 dots denoting constriction. Here's a pic of those.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

You have the correct chokes. Your system is nothing like the later screw in chokes (MobilChoke and later) the other posters are describing. You are lucky to have a full set of choke tubes--they are reportedly very hard to find.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

I agree those are correct and that is how they fit. My 302 has a full set of chokes just like yours and the fit is the same. I think that you are good to go with that fit. Enjoy shooting it, they are neat guns. Now you need to find a 20 ga with the same choke system to go with your 12!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:18 pm 
Utility Grade

marsingbob wrote:
You are lucky to have a full set of choke tubes--they are reportedly very hard to find.

I agree - probably wouldn't have talked myself into buying it if it hadn't had the full set!

woodcock1 wrote:
I agree those are correct and that is how they fit. My 302 has a full set of chokes just like yours and the fit is the same. I think that you are good to go with that fit. Enjoy shooting it, they are neat guns. Now you need to find a 20 ga with the same choke system to go with your 12!!

Thanks for this - it means a lot to hear this from another 302 owner - I appreciate you weighing in. I'll quit worrying about it and enjoy shooting. :)

FWIW, while trying to find an answer to this on Google, I found a company in Italy that seems to be selling aftermarket chokes for drop-in Beretta 302s. Going for 23 euro each, and they're stamped for steel shot. May have to buy one or two for next season. https://store.geminichokes.com/en/produ ... e-12-gauge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

Here is another source as well. I too have a full set with my 12 ga. I need some for my 20 ga. if you ever run across a source.

http://www.shotgunchokes.co.uk/shop/pro ... s&id=30462

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:33 am 
Utility Grade

woodcock1 wrote:
Here is another source as well. I too have a full set with my 12 ga. I need some for my 20 ga. if you ever run across a source.

http://www.shotgunchokes.co.uk/shop/pro ... s&id=30462

That's great, and nice to see that they sell as a full set - thanks! FYI, It appears that they do also sell the full sets in 20 ga. The smaller gauge set sells for a 26 GBP premium, which works out to ~$220 for a full set of six. Unclear to me if they'll handle steel shot...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Thanks, I guess I didn't look deep enough to see that!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Put a bore brush on a drill and clean out the muzzle of the barrel to make sure there is nothing impeding the choke from fully seating.

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.webs.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:29 am 
Tournament Grade

I have a 12 gauge Beretta 302 that has less than a hundred rounds thru it. I just started using the gun less than a year ago. I have all four chokes and each one of the sits exactly like yours does in your picture. These Beretta semi autos were the best ever made and they are a pleasure to carry and shoot in the field. No worries my friend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:02 pm 
Utility Grade

addecus wrote:
I have a 12 gauge Beretta 302 that has less than a hundred rounds thru it. I just started using the gun less than a year ago. I have all four chokes and each one of the sits exactly like yours does in your picture. These Beretta semi autos were the best ever made and they are a pleasure to carry and shoot in the field. No worries my friend.

Awesome - thanks for this! Agreed - it's really well built - points and carries nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:05 pm 
Utility Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Put a bore brush on a drill and clean out the muzzle of the barrel to make sure there is nothing impeding the choke from fully seating.

Ah, the drill is a great idea!