ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White Onyx Sporting patterning
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:40 pm 
Utility Grade

I patterned my WOS, 12 ga., 32" with 4 of my Briley extended chokes today, Cyl, Skt, I.C., and L.M. at 30 yards. I used Winchester Universal 1 1/8 oz, 7 1/2's. I fired 2 shots at each target. Interesting although tedious work. It would seem that the bottom barrel shoots 40/60, and the top barrel shoots 60/40, definitely not 50/50 with either. I must say, I like the Briley chokes, the differences between the chokes was not as large as I would have expected. The LM data is a skewed to the right because I pulled the second shot to the right. All others seemed centered upon firing. I lined up the beads with the center dot as consistently as I could, no bench used. I have attached the pictures and would appreciate your comments. Does the bottom barrel typically shoot low on an O/U? First O/U for me.

Post subject: Re: White Onyx Sporting patterning
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You ought to try a couple more different brands of shells as they make more difference than many realise,and the unversials well there are better choices IMO for around the same price. If available try some of the Federals and Estate (Red/Yellow boxes) The Wichester Super Targets are good one to try also.

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I have the Federals, and the Estates, as well as some Herters 1 oz. 8 shot I was going to use for skeet. Will the brand of shell change the POI of the barrels? I would not have thought that it would. I know in rifle shooting that different loads and bullets can drastically effect POI, due to barrel harmonics, but I would not expect this with an O/U where barrels are siamesed. Seems like a stiffer assembly than a single rifled barrel. I was quite satisfied with the pattern densities from the Winchesters. What do you feel is there shortcoming?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:50 pm 
Crown Grade

Ya probably need a couple of more pattern to confirm. Shooting off the bench will decrease human error. I usually to this as an average of shooting 25 rounds at a target. IC in the lower and MOD in upper. After shooting 50 rounds I've had enough. There should be a ragged hole to gauge near center.

Common thought is top shoots high and low show center.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:45 pm 
Field Grade

http://www.claytargettesting.com/POI/Po ... _Yards.pdf

Here is the proper way to check barrel regulation and no, the under barrel doesn’t shoot lower than the over barrel, at least not at target range. It starts of lower of course and it should cross at some point before 40 yards. I had 2 guns with diverging (like yours) barrels and I had them return my money. The only proper way to truly test it is having the gun in a lead sled. I now shoot a Zoli because of their barrel reputation and holy crap they are spot on. It was a big relief for me.