Shotgun Forum banner

Coast to Coast

6K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  wfb18 
#1 ·
Just bought a Coast to Coast .410 off GunBroker. I'm assuming it's a 500 as far as parts go? Pretty neat looking little gun,26 inch plain barrel with a checkered stock and forearm. Haven't got my hands on it yet. Any problems I should be aware of?

#2 ·
There is one difference between your Coast to Coast .410 and a Mossberg 500E. You will need to remove the magazine tube with a strap wrench in order to remove its slide action tube assembly. You can replace its assembly with a standard assembly if that bothers you. Read more here: link.

The Coast to Coast model numbers CC660 and CC880 are capricious, meaning that these model numbers do not correspond to the gauge size. It was simply an in-house identification that has nothing to do with the guns. The important stamping is the gauge. The model number is for any practical purpose totally irrelevant.

The Coast to Coast Master-Mag models CC660 and CC880 are "house brand" Mossberg 500s. They were sold in the nearly defunct Coast to Coast hardware store chain in the United States (now part of True Value) from the late 1970's to early 1980's. The wood is probably less expensive birch rather than walnut.

The following might help you to date your gun. Beginning in 1970, the standard 12-gauge Mossberg 500A featured double slide bars for added strength rather than the original single bar. In 1977 Mossberg phased out the external C-Lect dial-choke (which cannot shoot steel shot) in favor of the internal Accu-Choke system (which after 1987 can shoot steel shot).

It occurred to me to look up your gun on GunBroker. There were only two Coast to Coast .410 guns sold recently, so your gun has the checkering and the other does not. Your gun has serial number J25XXXX and was made in 1983. The other .410 has serial number H25XXXX and was made in 1979.

Nice pictures. Great price. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/905030615. Good luck, sir.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply! That's the date I came up with too. Oddly mine has a single action bar and the forearm assembly comes right off. There's only one action bar slot in the receiver and the carrier is correct for one action bar. I thought Mossberg converted to two bars in 1970. I'm actually a big Ithaca fan but this little guy is pretty neat especially for the money. The only glitch is even after a good chamber polishing it doesn't like Cheddite hulls which I've found is the case with a lot of older pumps

#4 ·
After a Remington patent expired, Mossberg converted to two action bars in 1970 for 12 gauge guns. Other gauges followed later, apparently much later with the 500E. I'm glad that your gun pleases you. It looks good in the pictures, sir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.