ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mossberg International - SA-20 - Review + Pics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:49 am 
Utility Grade

Never heard of Wally World, I live on Maui, I'd figure that a few gun shops and Sports Authority might be the only outlets unless Walmart carries ammo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:34 am 
Utility Grade

Wally World = Walmart

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:05 pm 
Utility Grade

rpr13 wrote:
Wally World = Walmart

Thanks, I've never heard it referred to as that here, I figured that it was a different box store :? :lol: I'll check it out this weekend but for some reason I don't think that our Walmart carries much when it comes to guns & ammo. Many thanks again to everyone that has taken the time to help me out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm 
Utility Grade

rickeyleee wrote:
I just ordered a 6 shell stock wrap from amazon and anxious to see how the $6 wrap fits. I also ordered the Choate 2 shot extention, and from amazon....3 different flashlights, 1 remote switch, and 2 different mounts for tactical mount on my new SA tactical 18.5" with/pistolgrip, a 35" soft gun case, and sling. Will let you know what I come up with the lighting.

How did you make out?

Still waiting on my Choate mag tube to arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I am the new owner of an SA-20 Tactical. It was purchased as a home defense and recreational firearm for our family. it will be used by me, my wife, and my daughter. It fits me pretty darn well, the ladies, not so well. Is anybody aware of an adjustable pistol grip butt stock for this beastie? We also share a DPMS M-4 and we use 3 of the 6 positions.

I would rather not set the ladies up to "fail" so if we can find an adjustable stock, we'll postpone the 1st outing. Otherwise, we'll make do and hope for the best. (Her dad introduced my wife to the 12ga with a stock that was too long for her and she will probably never shoot a 12ga again.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:24 pm 
Utility Grade

I would love to know as well...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:33 pm 
Utility Grade

Finally got to hit the range today. Took along my Ruger 22/45, DPMS AR with CMMG .22 conversion and my Kahr CW-45 as well as the new Mossberg SA-22 Tactical. My daughter brought her 9mm Glock, with which she needs to qualify along with the AR on Tuesday. We got her tuned up and I fired enough just to be sure I was still in tune. Then we put a partial box of Federals through the SA-20.

The SA-20 is a joy to shoot. The pistol grip gives a great deal of confidence, since it matches the way we hold everything else we shoot. The day-glow front sight through the rear ghost ring just seems to naturally find the target. The trigger was smooth enough, (smoother than the Ruger .22 or the DPMS AR out of the box). Being a semi-auto 20 gauge, there was no concern about recoil. It felt about the same as shooting an AK in 7.62. Since I was shooting light loads (7 1/2) we did have 2 FTEs. But in a new gun, I've had that with full-power ammo in pistols and rifles.

I am well pleased with the appearance and function of this little Mossberg. Now, if I could get an adjustable stock and an 18.5" barrel, I'd be nearly ecstatic! (slight exaggeration for effect.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm 
Utility Grade

Here's the reply I finally received. I guess I'll check with "local" gunsmiths and see if they can retrofit an adjustable stock or if I'm SOL.

Thank you for your e-mail, Sr. the SA-20 is an international item and we don't have part for sell only for in house repair.

Norma Martinez
E-mail representative
O.F. Mossberg & Sons , Inc
Authorized Service Center.
Maverick Arms Inc.
1001 Industrial Blvd.
Eagle Pass, TX 78852

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:14 pm 
Field Grade

McQz wrote:
I am the new owner of an SA-20 Tactical. It was purchased as a home defense and recreational firearm for our family. it will be used by me, my wife, and my daughter. It fits me pretty darn well, the ladies, not so well. Is anybody aware of an adjustable pistol grip butt stock for this beastie? We also share a DPMS M-4 and we use 3 of the 6 positions.

I would rather not set the ladies up to "fail" so if we can find an adjustable stock, we'll postpone the 1st outing. Otherwise, we'll make do and hope for the best. (Her dad introduced my wife to the 12ga with a stock that was too long for her and she will probably never shoot a 12ga again.)

Which SA-20 Tactical did you buy, the pistol grip version or the full butt stock version. I am in the market for the SA-20 Tactical myself. It is truly the ONLY Tactical 20 gauge auto sold in the USA. Why, I do not know. Not even TriStar has done it.

How do you like yours so far?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Love this thread. Because of my work circumstances, I was able to obtain a Brand New in Box SA-20 for, don't get upset with me, $225.00 last night. I love the look and feel and plan on using it for Clays this year with the guys from work.

I've read all ten pages and probably will try the polishing trip before I really shoot her, but I'm wondering, I have thousands of rounds of #6 high brass heavy game loads around the house and am wondering if I should shoot 100 or 200 rounds of that then clean it well before I try the lighter 7.5 or 8's?

Even if I could, I would Never Deny the Grace of God in my life. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I bought an SA20 tactical last week. On the first trip out, it failed to eject any of the Wally World low brass 7/8 oz. Winchester low steel base shells. It had no problem with 1 oz. loads or slugs.

I then polished the chamber, cleaned it thoroughly and lubed the operating parts. On my second trip out, it ejected about 95% of those same shells. An occasional one still hung up, either stove piping or still remaining in the chamber. Everything else fed, fired and ejected fine. The cheap Winchester shells just dribbled out of the gun, landing at my feet. I was still able to fire as fast as I could pull the trigger. Any other empties were thrown quite a distance.

I'm going to try putting a few more rounds through it before I polish the chamber again. I added a red dot and it makes acquiring a stationary target quite fast.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:33 am 
Utility Grade

Did the rails on the mag tube come stock? Mine did not come with those.

If you added them, what did you use and how?

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 pm 
Utility Grade

Yes, the rails on the mag tube came stock. It must have been a new old stock gun.

However, the bolt release button is not hard to press. While it definitely won't go off if you just brush it, it doesn't take that much effort to push it. Also after the bolt closes, you can load the magazine without pushing the button again. So it is the later style but still had the tri-rail so I'm assuming it was made sometime in 2012

I like the tri-rail but I'm torn between adding a mag extension or just leaving it as is. If I add a mag extension, I will lose the tri-rail.

One reason why I put the red dot on there is that the ghost ring sight needs to be raised to its highest position to hit point of aim with slugs at 25 yards. The problem is that when you rotate the adjusting screw to allow that, the screw comes loose and falls off with recoil. The rear sight is a poor copy of someone else's design. It would be nice to find a decent replacement.

I like the size too. It's light but not puny. It is close to the same length as my 12 ga. 870 home defense gun but it is slimmer in all dimensions.

With 1 oz. bird shot, I can pull the trigger as fast as possible and it will not hiccup. I'm hoping that running a few more shells through it will help with the lighter loads.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:48 pm 
Utility Grade

What are my best options to mount a light to this shotgun?

I tried a cheap Nebo mount to a handheld Surefire flashlight...it moves way too much.

So I picked up a Streamlight TLR-1 HL only to find out that the tube diameter of the mag extension is only 7/8", so the Lasrlyte tri-rail I was planning to use will not work.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Total failure
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:34 am 
Tournament Grade

Location: Lincoln, Nebraska My hometown, but I'll move later...
Hello Y'all,
As you can see by the picture my gun broke. The part you are looking at is on the bolt. Don't know what caused it to break but it did. Good news is that I have the Davidson warranty and I'm getting a new one. Hopefully this one will be the next generation so that I don't have to press the bolt release every time. So look and evaluate. Be safe, Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:59 pm 
Utility Grade

Bought my grandson a full size SA20 awhile back. No problems and he loves it. I love the weight (use an 1100 12 ga). Just bought me a SA20 Turkey Thug. Plan on making it my "do it all gun". Gonna try to make it my deer gun (Indiana, slugs or rifles firing pistol cartridges). Love the SA20 so far. Not one problem, yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:56 am 
Utility Grade

Has anybody found any side saddles that work well with the SA-20?

Also, I don't suppose anyone has a video clip of the chamber polishing trick?

I'm having a tough time understanding how you guys do this.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:11 am 
Utility Grade

Still looking for side saddle recommendations, but I found a recently posted video on the chamber polishing trick described in this link if it helps anyone else:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzjgvRTNWR8

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:10 pm 
Utility Grade

ImageWell the summer didn't turn out like I'd hoped, being that I re injured my back early May and have just started to get back to normal so yesterday was the first time to shoot clays (Ronald McDonald House Charities Shoot. However, I have to report that m SA-20 performed flawlessly and shot better than the shooter with not one FTE on AA #8's in the entire round and even extra shots taken working with the Pro that was on our squad.

Even if I could, I would Never Deny the Grace of God in my life. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:50 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Smitty,

Would you, or anyone else here have a video of themselves cleaning the SA-20 after 250 shots going through the shotgun?

I'm new to guns in general and have no idea how to clean my new shotgun after unboxing it and getting it ready for the range, and after I've shot it a few hundred times.

I would love to see someone actually cleaning this particular shotgun on a youtube video, instead of a generic shotgun.

Thank you all in advance,

Kaylen

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next