ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is Silver Reserve the same as Khan Armethis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:48 pm 
Utility Grade

Has anybody ever verified that these shotguns are one in the same. Has anybody interchanged parts. I have a Khan that needs a forearm latch assembly. Mossberg won't sell it to me without serial numbers for a Silver Reserve. I'm wondering if I buy a 20g Silver Reserve will I end up with 2 o/us and a new forearm.

Last edited by Indomitable Spirit on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Is Silver Reserve the same as Khan Armethis
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Minor cosmetic differences aside, yes, they are the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:12 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Minor cosmetic differences aside, yes, they are the same.

Now, I've found a lot of postings where people assert that claim. I haven't found any wherein the poster took a barrel off of one and placed it on the receiver of the other and shot it and lived to tell about it. I have found no postings that tell of parts being interchanged at all. Thats what I hope to hear.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Uhhh... yeah. Whatever.

Barrels don't just drop on, they need to be fitted and timed. Internal parts need to be fitted too.

Most people who would own such a low quality gun would just dispose of it if it needed work, as the gunsmithing bills are likely to exceed the value of the gun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Uhhh... yeah. Whatever.

Barrels don't just drop on, they need to be fitted and timed. Internal parts need to be fitted too.

Most people who would own such a low quality gun would just dispose of it if it needed work, as the gunsmithing bills are likely to exceed the value of the gun.

Well said. However, the internet is full of posting stating that they are the same shotgun. Are you saying the Silver Reserve is low quality? I need to know because I'm thinking of buying one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:57 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Indomitable Spirit wrote:
Well said. However, the internet is full of posting stating that they are the same shotgun.

They ARE the same gun. It doesn't mean that parts interchange... they still need to be fitted.

Are you saying the Silver Reserve is low quality? I need to know because I'm thinking of buying one.

It's a very low quality import. For casual hunting, it's probably fine. If you plan to shoot any volume, you should consider a better quality gun. Do a little research...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:37 pm 
Utility Grade

drsfmd wrote:
Well said. However, the internet is full of posting stating that they are the same shotgun.

They ARE the same gun. It doesn't mean that parts interchange... they still need to be fitted.

Are you saying the Silver Reserve is low quality? I need to know because I'm thinking of buying one.

It's a very low quality import. For casual hunting, it's probably fine. If you plan to shoot any volume, you should consider a better quality gun. Do a little research...

I thought I was doing research. Maybe somebody who likes Mossberg and who has owned a Khan will chime in with an opinion. Thanks for your advise and interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Maybe somebody who likes Mossberg and who has owned a Khan will chime in with an opinion. Thanks for your advise and interest.

Ummm... about that... I *DO* own the Khan.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm 
Utility Grade

[/quote]
I thought I was doing research. Maybe somebody who likes Mossberg and who has owned a Khan will chime in with an opinion. Thanks for your advise and interest.[/quote]

:lol: Ok, anybody else.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 am 
Limited Edition

Well said. However, the internet is full of posting stating that they are the same shotgun. Are you saying the Silver Reserve is low quality? I need to know because I'm thinking of buying one.

Don't. If your budget won't fit a quality O/U, get a pump.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:22 pm 
Utility Grade

[/quote]

Don't. If your budget won't fit a quality O/U, get a pump.[/quote]

I'm not coordinated enough to use a pump. I came into shooing late in life. I'm 43. I started with a Winchester Ranger pump. I couldn't hit the side of barn with it. I use to work for an attorney who owned several expensive shotguns, one being the Citori. He let me use that one day when we were dove hunting. He choose a semi auto, I'm not sure of the make. He spent most of our time there unjamming the semi, while I fell in love with the Citori. That put me onto looking for an OU that was affordable for me at the time, while at the same time put me off of semi autos. As you have already surmised, a tight budget and inexperience lead me to the Khan. Although it is an inexpensive shooter, it served me well for 5 years and is only being sidelined now because of what should have been a minor repair and because the company who offered the item did not provide for its future service. Now, if I pick up a Mossberg 20g, I may have the means to a reliable source for parts (the forearm latch assembly anyway) and end up with a functioning 20g and 12g. Ergo, I'm looking for people who own a Mossberg Silver Reserve, and who may already have owned a Khan. Thanks or your insight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:58 pm 
Crown Grade

OK, I don't own either, but have ya tried contacting Kahn? They may have a website with contact info.

Just a thought...

HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

huntswithdogs wrote:
OK, I don't own either, but have ya tried contacting Kahn? They may have a website with contact info.

The "Khan" branded guns were imported by Century International Arms in small numbers (readers: this does NOT make them rare or valuable). They sold for around $300 retail for the Artemis, and a little over $400 for the Artemis Supreme... differences are just cosmetic as near as I can tell.

I am not aware of any other importer bringing these in. Not saying there weren't others, but everything I've seen was imported by CIA. I know that some were given away at DU dinners, but I don't know if that's a local thing or if DU had an agreement for distribution.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:45 pm 
Utility Grade

huntswithdogs wrote:

Just a thought...

HWD

Khan referred me to Mossberg. I just came from a gun shop. It appears it's the same shotgun, at least the forearm latches appear to be same. Nobody at Khan speaks English. They sent me an email link to Mossberg. Khan makes the Silver Reserve for Mossberg. I believe Mossberg makes the parts here, in the US. Mossberg basically blew me off, no Silver Reserve serial number, no part. I can't blame them. They should not have to service shotguns they didn't make. The irony is they have the part.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:47 am 
Crown Grade

How about GunParts.com?
HWD

My Marine kicked cancer's a$$!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:51 am 
Utility Grade

huntswithdogs wrote:
How about GunParts.com?
HWD

Yeah. They don't have it. Thanks for suggesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What about providing Mossberg with a serial number from another Silver Reserve.......???

If you're willing to buy the parts anyway, I don't know why which serial number would matter.... But, regardless, of what serial number you give them, the forearm and latch mechanism will need to be "fitted" to the barrels and receiver, it's not going to be "plug and play"...

The forearm is what cocks the firing pins when you open the shotgun, unless you can do this fitting yourself, it may be more expensive to buy the parts from Mossberg and have the "fitted", than just to buy another one of these shotguns....

My 2 cents anyway....

Smitty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:45 pm 
Utility Grade

Smitty in CT wrote:
What about providing Mossberg with a serial number from another Silver Reserve.......???

If you're willing to buy the parts anyway, I don't know why which serial number would matter.... But, regardless, of what serial number you give them, the forearm and latch mechanism will need to be "fitted" to the barrels and receiver, it's not going to be "plug and play"...

The forearm is what cocks the firing pins when you open the shotgun, unless you can do this fitting yourself, it may be more expensive to buy the parts from Mossberg and have the "fitted", than just to buy another one of these shotguns....

My 2 cents anyway....

Smitty

I've thought about doing that, though trickery doesn't come natural to me. I don't know if I could pull it off, even on the phone. Also, I don't now what legal consequences there would be to using someone else's serial number. Those could even be federal consequences. I just don't know. I surly would not want to involve myself in something that would somehow prohibit my use of any firearms, I own several. NOTHING IS WORTH THAT!! I'm the victim of an armed burglary when I was in my late teens. I sleep better at night knowing my .380 is ready to do business in a moment's notice. Lastly, we're speaking of an over under (O/U) forearm, not a pump shotgun. The forearm just slips on. That is, when the latch is not made out of cheap steal and is worn down. It is plug and play.

It seems better if somebody with a Silver Reserve would order one from me from Mossberg and sell it to me. Anybody with a Silver Reserve has the right to order as many as they need. To my understanding, in most cases, Mossberg will send it to them for free.
Wish me luck and that's for taking time to help.