ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mossberg New Haven 600AT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:25 pm 
I have an old Mossberg New Haven 600AT that is about 25 years old. I have been looking for parts for this gun (trigger assembly - front corners are broke and safety switch - old one broke off) and am having trouble finding old stock items or cross referencing to a modern model. Can anyone direct me to a site for the correct parts or if someone has used parts for sale, that would also help.

When I do a search for the 600 model there is very little information thus the reason I am posting this as I figure this would be the best place to get the RIGHT info.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide.

Post subject: Re: Mossberg New Haven 600AT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:55 pm 
Field Grade

I have a New Haven 600 AT. If you read some of the current posts, they indicate the parts are interchangeable with a Mossberg 500.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:25 pm 
Limited Edition

My brother has a 600, and his safety broke off as well. He just made his own safety switch out of wood. There are some steel replacements out there.

Shooters' Legacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:34 pm 
Field Grade

I wrote to Mossberg for information on the New Haven about a year ago. Maverick Arms responded to my inquiry and explained that the New Haven 600 was identical to a Mossberg 500. The New Haven was supposed to be an upgrade to the 500 and was introduced in 1977. The telephone number to Maverick Arms is 1-800-633-35565. They are the official service center for Mossbergs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:47 pm 
Utility Grade

Lucky Skeeter wrote:
I have an old Mossberg New Haven 600AT that is about 25 years old. I have been looking for parts for this gun (trigger assembly - front corners are broke and safety switch - old one broke off) and am having trouble finding old stock items or cross referencing to a modern model. Can anyone direct me to a site for the correct parts or if someone has used parts for sale, that would also help.

I recently replaced a broken safety button on a Mossberg 600 with a plastic safety for a Mossberg 500. The button fit just fine.

This is where I got it;
http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?c ... KU=246690A

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:34 am 
Utility Grade

i have a NEW HAVEN 600 AT PUMP . I cannot get the slide to come out of the reciever when stripping it down . does any one else have this problem . i have been watching lots videos on youtube about stripping the gun down , although they are all stripping down the mossberg 500 which is supposidely and identical gun . .

all replies welcome as i cannot work out how to do it .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

O.K., you need to trust me on this one! Your gun has a different system around the magazine tube, to help minimize the loose, rattling forearm that some people are bothered by (not me)! You need to unscrew the magazine tube from the receiver to get the forearm off. You will have to apply some heat where it screws into the receiver the first time, because some genius thought they needed some form of threadlocker on the threads. After heating you can use a pliers or Vise Grip (carefully) on the far forward end of the magazine tube, after wrapping leather or rubber or something else around it to protect it. When it comes apart you will see your anti-rattle system! From then on you will be able to unscrew it by hand. You have a great gun! {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:15 am 
Field Grade

I know this is a really old thread. I have a 600at also and was wondering if I remove those anti rattle bands around the mag tube would the forearm remove like a normal 500? Do you foresee any problems doing this? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I think you might have a difficult time removing them without ruining or at least damaging the tube. Why would you want to remove them?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm 
Field Grade

When I do a cleaning I like to wipe the mag tube down and clean the forearm tube. Can't get at all of it with the 600at. Don't want to take the mag out every time. Let's say I used a dremel and carefully cut thru the band. Would that free them up to come off? Any other problems if they are off? Just considering it. Thanks. Glad to see you are still here. LOL.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:42 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It is SO easy to remove after the first time when hand tightened and just lube on the threads, no threadlocker. That wrapped band is silver soldered or similarly attached and not designed to be removed. One option is to just get a model 500 tube. You would have to do a little measuring first, but they may interchange.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:46 pm 
Field Grade

I did have it off already but did not look carefully at the set up. It did come off pretty easy. Maybe the previous guy did the heavy work. Alright, you talked me out of it. Thanks. It pays to look into the pool first before jumping in. LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:32 am 
Tournament Grade

The other guys answered your question pretty near perfectly b ut I'm in a talkative mood so I'm going to spout. Skip if you want lol ;)

The 600 is identical to the 500 in pretty much all ways except a couple of small things. That mag tube with the spirals....those are called "standoff bushings". They keep the old style slide tube from rattling. If you remove them (possible but not advised), the forearm will rattle badly! If you switch out the old tube for a new one, you'll need to replace the slide tube with a new style one, too. The new style (last 35 years if you can still call it the new stye) slide tube has dimples that contact the mag tube to prevent rattling. You can replace the old mag tube and the old slide tube with new parts and have a fully modern 500 if you ever want to. Next, the old trigger group had the "safety connector" as a one piece part of the trigger itself. With the trigger group removed from the gun, the old style has the pin part that sticks upward off the back of the trigger. That part hits the safety block and stops the trigger from pulling. It's near indestructible. The new style has the safety connector as a separate part that rids on a tab on the back of the trigger itself. That tab can be broken EASILY with one too many turns on the stock bolt....or a hard pull on the trigger on safe. It is advised that you check your safety now and then by putting it on safe ON AN EMPTY chamber and gently pull the trigger to make sure it works. If you ever change the stock, the bolt can extend inward inside the gun too far and snap that safety tab and perm deactivate your safety. It will need a replacement part to fix it. Those front tabs on the trigger group sometimes bend off if the gun is forced together after a strip. Just go slow and get the bolt and slide and bars properly replaced and the trigger group will pop in easily. The trigger group itself, complete, is a $40 part. If you're handy with hand tools you can repair the tabs with a kit avail from Numrich etc. It's a simple steel bar that you slot the front fo the trigger group and epoxy it in. Steel tabs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for all that good info. Although in was produced in 1979 it has been hardly used. Safety works fine and will keep an eye for the other possible issues you mentioned. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 pm 
Field Grade

Just to clarify something. If my 600 has the stand off bushing style set up it will probably have the old style trigger group?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:22 am 
Tournament Grade

Yep.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/products/715460.jpg This is the old style. Notice the spike thingy on the top left? It's a one piece thingy actually a part of the trigger.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/pub/products/54910.jpg This is the new style. Notice the part on the top left now. It's a wishbone shaped part that rides in that slot you see on the left in the trigger group. It attaches to the trigger with a tiny metal tab. That tab is what you need to watch out for and be careful of.

That old style link I showed is a smaller .410 trigger group. It's a different overall look than the 12ga/20ga new style though identical in function. Don't compare yours to the .410 overall look. I just wanted to show you the safety connector on the old style trigger.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:11 am 
Field Grade

Thanks. I guess even if something is the old style it's better to have the stronger thingy. LOL.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:44 pm 
Field Grade

While I got you on the phone. If I want to switch out only the wood on the forearm to a corn cobb style would that be doable? Or would I have to change everything: mag, pump assy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Perfectly doable! The only caveat is the same on all Mossy's; you have to switch to a forearm that's the same size. Mossy's come in three sizes. A 6 1/2" slide tube, a 7 5/8" and a really rare one that I don't have handy to measure but you won't ever see it. Take your wood off and measure yours WITHOUT the front nut, from the very edge of the front of the threads to the very edge of the rear of the action bar collar. You can find a lot of pics here and on the web of the sizes and the measurements. The "old style" you'll always see on the classics like yours is the 7 5/8". That's a bit misleading though, the "old style", because it's the same standard one to this day. It's the one you see on all the factory tactical guns today, too. All the corncobs etc are 7 5/8". New style, though, you often see the shorter tube on some sporting guns and on a few aftermarket forearms. If you see an aftermarket forearm you like, it'll pretty much always be the same 7 5/8" unless it says specifically that it's a 6 1/2". Mossy's are pretty easy to work with, though. Short or long tube. They've kept it pretty standard over the decades. The only other concern you might run into, if you want to change to a shorter slide tube, you'll have to switch out your mag tube for a new style. The old style standoff bushings, the spirals, don't work too well with the new style slide tubes. The new style are dimpled to do away with those spirals.

In a few months, you'll most likely have a box of diff mag tubes, diff slide tubes, diff barrels, diff stocks etc. It's really easy to mod a Mossy and ppl play with these like kids with Legos.

'Scuse the weird writing, guys. Really early here and no coffee yet.

Be safe, all.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks a heap for those tips. Hope you had your coffee. I don't do a lot of modding to my firearms. Retired and on a fixed income kinda limits you but no problem I like to keep it simple and learn to run what I got. Nothing against tactical stuff but you got to practice with them. Don't have that kind of range to practice. Too many dodads can be confusing in a shtf situation. My ar for example just has a red dot co-witnessed to the front post. It's set up for mpbr or battlefield zero. I'm on com out to 100 yards or so. Just aim center regardless of distance and I'll hit a man sized target in the com. A few inches high or low but in the kill zone. I guess I go with the "kiss" theory.