ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scope Mounts for a Mossberg Bolt Slug Gun
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:47 pm 
Field Grade

Hello Everyone.

I recently picked up a Western Field M170 slugger (Mossberg 395S) as a project. I would like to have a scope mounted on it. I cannot find any information on mounts that can be used.

I did a search and checked all ten pages. Most discussion is concerning converting standard Mossberg field guns to slug guns. Other than a cantilever mount that Brownells offers, I found no mention of specific mounts.

IIRC, Weaver lists a #55 for the 695 and its bolt rifles. (?)

Just wondering if anyone can offer any info.

Thanks much in advance.

EVOC ONE

Post subject: Re: Scope Mounts for a Mossberg Bolt Slug Gun
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

So far this has been a good re-furb project. The Western Field Slug gun has responded well.
I stripped the stock with Klean Strip using a synthetic wool pad and refinished with Behlens American Walnut stain and Tru Oil.
Pitting in the barrel was light. Much of it came out with light sanding. Brownells Aluma Hyde II was used to cover all metal surfaces and filled in the remaining pits.
The Weaver #55 bases fit well. I had a local gunsmith do the installation.

Thanks for looking.

Post subject: Re: Scope Mounts for a Mossberg Bolt Slug Gun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:50 am 
Utility Grade

Proof an old post is still valuable. I just bought a like new Western Field 170 Slugster!

Durn thing shoots great! For my first range session, I shot three of my Lee slug loads at 25-yards, adjusted the rear sight to move the POI left and down, one index marking each (wasn't sure what reference the indexes represent), and shot three more slugs at 50-yards.

I do a lot of hog hunting at night on my ranch, hunting over feeders with Boar Lights at night, the shots being 50 to 100 yards. I thought this pumpkin chunker needs to be scoped and out there in this role. This post gave me the information I needed, and the Weaver bases are on the way to the ranch!