ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mossberg SA 20 same as Tristar Viper
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:29 pm 
Utility Grade

When I was at the range yesterday I notice a guy at the cleaning table cleaning his gun and I ask him "how he liked his SA 20?" he informed me it wasn't a SA 20 but a Tristar Viper. It was broken down and all the parts appear to be exactly the same as my SA 20. The only thing I could see was different was the Logo on the side of receiver and that it had sling swivel studs. Are both guns made by the same company and are they the same?

Post subject: Re: mossberg SA 20 same as Tristar Viper
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bobm394 wrote:
Are both guns made by the same company and are they the same?
Yes and yes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if Tristar has any parts or accessories available?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bobm394 wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I wonder if Tristar has any parts or accessories available?
What parts do you want, and for which gun, Mossberg or Tristar?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:10 am 
Crown Grade

Now you are beginning to understand the value of Turkish shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:17 pm 
Utility Grade

I'm trying to find a barrel with open sights and screw in chokes. I want to be able to use it for turkey and deer and it is a Mossberg SA20. I tried Mossberg Customer Service. They said none were available. Tried Emailing a person recommended on a another site. Never got an answer.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:45 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bobm394 wrote:
I'm trying to find a barrel with open sights and screw in chokes. I want to be able to use it for turkey and deer and it is a Mossberg SA20. I tried Mossberg Customer Service. They said none were available. Tried Emailing a person recommended on a another site. Never got an answer.
Mossberg only offers two open sight options on the SA-20, the Ghost Ring/ Front Post of the "Tactical" or "Railed" model, with no chokes, and the fiber optic sights on the turkey version. They truly don't have a barrel like you are asking for.

The easiest thing to do is get a set of adjustable fiber optic sights and mount them on the rib of your existing barrel, the same as the factory does. The other option is to try to obtain a 22" Turkey barrel with sights. Mossberg doesnt offer these barrels for sale but there is a way to get them.

Did the person you were told to email have the initials J.Z.?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:32 pm 
Utility Grade

Cerberus wrote:
Bobm394 wrote:
. The other option is to try to obtain a 22" Turkey barrel with sights. Mossberg doesnt offer these barrels for sale but there is a way to get them.

Yes J.Z. was the person that I emailed. The turkey barrel is the one I want. I could install IC choke for slugs and it would have the sights needed for deer hunting. I have a Rem 1100 set up the same way. This gun is for my Grandson. Now how can I get the barrel?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Bobm394 wrote:
Yes J.Z. was the person that I emailed. The turkey barrel is the one I want. I could install IC choke for slugs and it would have the sights needed for deer hunting. I have a Rem 1100 set up the same way. This gun is for my Grandson. Now how can I get the barrel?
PM Sent

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:03 pm 
Diamond Grade

Does this hold for the Viper 12 gauge?

I was starting to research a new autoloader.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fronty Owner wrote:

I'm not sure what you are asking.

The Mossberg SA-20's are Turkish imports and are made in the same group of factories that manufacture the TriStar and Weatherby autoloaders, as well as other smaller brands.

The Tristar Raptor and Viper G2, and Weatherby SA-08 all share similar designs that may vary by gauge. These are all nice guns and from what I've seen of them they are still a steal at the prices they sell for. I have two SA-20's and am very happy with them

Mossberg's 930/935 autoloaders are a completely different design and are made 100% in the USA. I have two 930's and they are also very good guns, and again somewhat of a steal at the price point.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:45 pm 
Diamond Grade

Cerberus wrote:
Fronty Owner wrote:

I'm not sure what you are asking.

The Mossberg SA-20's are Turkish imports and are made in the same group of factories that manufacture the TriStar and Weatherby autoloaders, as well as other smaller brands.

The Tristar Raptor and Viper G2, and Weatherby SA-08 all share similar designs that may vary by gauge. These are all nice guns and from what I've seen of them they are still a steal at the prices they sell for. I have two SA-20's and am very happy with them

Mossberg's 930/935 autoloaders are a completely different design and are made 100% in the USA. I have two 930's and they are also very good guns, and again somewhat of a steal at the price point.
I was wondering if the Tristar Viper 12 gauges were made with the same parts / design as the a Mossberg.
it sounds like Ill keep the mossberg on my list for now.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fronty Owner wrote:
I was wondering if the Tristar Viper 12 gauges were made with the same parts / design as the a Mossberg.
it sounds like Ill keep the mossberg on my list for now.
Which Mossberg?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:32 am 
Diamond Grade

I'm thinking the JM pro.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:17 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fronty Owner wrote:
I'm thinking the JM pro.
That is good thinking. The JM Pro is very nice. I got the 22" JM barrel from Mossberg and the Nordic +4 extension to make my 930 Waterfowl do double duty as a JM FrankenPro.

If I did it again I'd start with the JM Pro for all the parts and receiver upgrades and add the field barrel after.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:47 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Bobm394 wrote:
W It was broken down and all the parts appear to be exactly the same as my SA 20.

No, they are not exactly the same, but similar. Both are Armsan. Weatherby product is mostly ATA, except for the SA-08 28 gauge which is Armsan as well.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

Cerberus wrote:
Fronty Owner wrote:
I'm thinking the JM pro.
That is good thinking. The JM Pro is very nice. I got the 22" JM barrel from Mossberg and the Nordic +4 extension to make my 930 Waterfowl do double duty as a JM FrankenPro.

If I did it again I'd start with the JM Pro for all the parts and receiver upgrades and add the field barrel after.

I have a Maverick 88 I use for hunting duty. I want something for fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:19 pm 
Utility Grade

Cerberus wrote:
Bobm394 wrote:
Mossberg only offers two open sight options on the SA-20, the Ghost Ring/ Front Post of the "Tactical" or "Railed" model, with no chokes, and the fiber optic sights on the turkey version. They truly don't have a barrel like you are asking for.

The easiest thing to do is get a set of adjustable fiber optic sights and mount them on the rib of your existing barrel, the same as the factory does. The other option is to try to obtain a 22" Turkey barrel with sights. Mossberg doesnt offer these barrels for sale but there is a way to get them.

can you help me find sa-20 parts. Looking for a 24-26" barrel and youth stock.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:07 am 
Field Grade

reel tight wrote:
Cerberus wrote:
Bobm394 wrote:

can you help me find sa-20 parts. Looking for a 24-26" barrel and youth stock.

You ever have any luck finding a short barrel for your SA-20? I'm looking for a 26". Wonder if the tristar would work.