Post subject: Re: Need Info on my new (old - 1982?) Mossberg 500 ATP , ple
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am 
Utility Grade

The 500ATP8SP showed respect here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714039963

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:10 am 
Utility Grade

I know this is an old post but I just stumbled upon it. I'm not sure your answer is completely true. I have an older model Mossberg 500 ATP 12ga I purchased in Ogden, KS back in 1983. I always thought it had a 20" barrel but when I removed and measured it came out to 24". It has a ramped rifle front sight and folding rear and also a bayonet mount. It has a 7 rd magazine and the barrel and magazine are gray parkerized while the receiver is flat black. The wood furniture is not polished. The barrel is marked "Chambered for 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells-12 ga cylinder bore-Made in the U.S.A". The serial number is H700XXX. I emailed Mossberg about the shotgun and they told me it is a model 590 Military Model.

wfb18 wrote:
Hello, mick53. Your gun was made in 1982.

The alphabet soup ATP means A = 12 gauge and TP = Tactical / Police. Your gun may have "500 ATP6" engraved at the feed port. The 5 shell magazine tube is probably original, and the 18.5" barrel is possibly original, but the 24" barrel is not original. Your gun was originally an 18.5" Police gun.

I have a 1987 "Law Enforcement Persuader 500" as identified on the 1987 Owners Guide but the receiver only reads "500A 12 GA". I thought that it would have to read "500 ATP6", but not so. The Owners Guide has a drawing of two Persuaders, one with a bead barrel and the other with rifle sights, and each has a wood stock and a wood corncob forend. The original box label only says "Mossberg #50485 {00-50CX-M176}, Model 500 Pump, Persuader Maxi-Combo, 12 GA, 18" Plain Cyl. Bore, 28" Plain Modified [Fixed Choke], 6-Shot Blued Finish, Wood Stock & PG Kit". My point is that plenty of early Mossberg LE Persuaders are not engraved AT, ATP, ATP6, or ATP8.

I collect 7+1 20" riot guns and I will pay up to $200-$225 for the used synthetic guns on GunBroker, less for the PGO Cruisers so I can add $25 used stocks. I pay a little more for a nice older riot gun with a wood stock / wood corncob forend like your gun has, even more for one with rifle sights.

I avoid 5+1 Persuaders because the takedown screw will not allow a magazine extension. The takedown screw of a 7+1 Persuader is right at the end of the 20" barrel and makes one a real bargain compared to a 590A1, which replaced the ATP guns. I converted the "Law Enforcement Persuader 500" gun to a 7+1 gun with a 20" barrel and corresponding magazine tube.

A used 24" slug barrel with rifle sights sells for about $50 more than a security barrel. Good luck, sir.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)

Welcome to ShotgunWorld, sdacbob. As you can see, your serial number H700XXX was made about 1981-1982 which matches your purchase in 1983. You may find "Mossberg 500 ATP8S" stamped just forward of its loading port, but I doubt it because that had a 20" barrel. Mossberg was not exact with those stampings back then, so it could simply be stamped Mossberg 500 ATP or even Mossberg 500. It could not possibly be a "model 590 Military Model" because they were not introduced until 1985 (usually reported incorrectly 1987). The Mossberg CS rep was mistaken because he associated the bayonet lug with the model 590.

You do not remove a barrel to measure its length. Please close your action and the bolt face will meet the chamber. Now drop a dowel into the barrel and mark it where it comes out of the muzzle. You will find that you indeed have a 24" barrel with a rifle front sight ramp, a folding rear sight, and also a bayonet lug, just as you say, with a 7 round magazine tube.

graybeard19 wrote:
I personally have a Mossberg Persuader that indeed DOES have a bayonet lug, came with a bayonet with scabbard, it has a 24 inch open choke barrel with rifle sights, blued. It has a 8 round tube magazine [sic, 7+1 capacity]. Black stock and forend... I think I got it back in 1988.

Sure, I could be wrong, but mick53's 500 ATP gun came with a 24" barrel that I doubt was original to his gun because it had a takedown screw set up for a 5 round magazine. How do I know? He traded it for an 18.5" barrel and they have always been made with a takedown screw set up for a 5 round magazine tube. He did think that the magazine tube is about 15" and he guessed a 5 + 1 capacity.

Unlike a 590 with its magazine cap, please confirm that your original 24" barrel has a takedown screw specifically placed for a 7 round magazine.

The 500ATP8SP has a "special non-glare finish on metal parts and oiled walnut stock and fore-end" and otherwise is the same as a 500ATP8. SP=SPecial and the S in this case could not mean "rifle Sights." True, it has a bayonet lug, but it has a 20" barrel with a bead sight. The models 500ATP6S and 500ATP8S has "blade front on ramp; folding leaf rear" rather than "bead front on ramp; folding leaf rear" as printed in the previous 1976 image; however, they have an 18.5" and a 20" barrel and neither have a bayonet lug.

I was unaware of your unusual model and Mossberg was probably not very exact if they stamped your 24 inch "500 ATP". Please do report your stamping forward of the loadng port. Do you still have the box or sales receipt?

You have a rare old 24" 500 ATP with rifle sights, a bayonet lug, and wood furniture. I have four 20" 500 ATP or LE Persuaders with wood furniture and I am still envious of you, sir. Good luck!