ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why doesn't the Mossberg 500 get any respect?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:25 am 
Tournament Grade

Vette Jockey wrote:
No, it didn't. It was repaired 3 times in an estimated 10,000 rounds. That is far from handling high volume shooting. Heck, if it were mine, at the volume I shoot, it would have made three trips back to Mossberg in one YEAR. No, that would not be acceptable and is the reason I don't own a Mossberg.

Bit late to the discussion but what repairs did your gun require?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Gentlemen,

The US Marines & US Army have great respect for the Mossberg M590 and a more functional longevity weapon is very hard to find. Just because many sportsman like different pump guns, does not mean Mossberg does not build respected shotgun. For the money Mossberg builds very respected guns.

I do believe your opinion of non-respected is a misjudgment, the guns come with a 10 year warranty.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:48 am 
Utility Grade

In 2006-2007 my US Army Infantry Brigade in Afghanistan carried Mossberg 500's (not 590's) shotguns purchased with government credit cards two months before deployment buying from three local Southern states (from Walmart). My humvee machine gunner had one of these Mossberg 500. In war, the 500 is a great asset.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:37 am 
Crown Grade

I'm almost 30 and my Mossberg 500 has been putting meat on the table since I was 12. What's not to respect about that? ;)

DCx2 Acta Est Fabula
"Liberals need to own the First Amendment like the Conservatives own the Second" - Bill Maher
∞ R.I.P. 8Chan 2013-2019 ∞
Does anybody remember laughter? - Robert Plant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 am 
Tournament Grade

I visit this page everyday, but I mostly visit the Remington, Ithaca and Winchester forum. Yesterday I was looking with one of my kids at different low end shotguns on the internet. Mossberg brand came to mind, and found that the Remington 870 Express cost almost the same as the Mossberg 500. And I came here today to read the comments about this brand.

I've been hunting for almost 40 years. And I never seen ANYONE hunting with a Mossberg. Almost everyone I've seen (old hunters) use Remington 870, 1100, Browning, and newer hunters mostly use Tristar. I have 3 870s, but also have Ithaca, Winchester, Baikal, Stevens, and a brand new cheap 20ga Silver Eagle semiauto.

Maybe Mossberg 500 is a good gun for the price, but I prefer very old shotguns that I can buy for less than a new 500, and I know will last more than me.

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12g
Remington 870 Express 20g and.410
Ithaca 37 12g 1948
Ithaca 37 16g 1941
Savage 775a 12g
Baikal 27 EM-1C O/U 12g
Silver Eagle 17SE 20g

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:18 pm 
Utility Grade

I am really late to this post but here is my 2 cents. Does my $400 mossberg rattle yes it does. Does my $1700 Benelli SBE3 rattle yes it does. Does the mossberg go bang when I pull the trigger yes it does. My benelli goes bang every time I pull the trigger. They are great guns for the money and you cant go wrong with one. As far as the post above me I highly doubt he never met anyone who shoots a mossberg. A new Mossberg will last a lifetime and and they have great Warranties and service.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Hquiles wrote:
I visit this page everyday, but I mostly visit the Remington, Ithaca and Winchester forum. Yesterday I was looking with one of my kids at different low end shotguns on the internet. Mossberg brand came to mind, and found that the Remington 870 Express cost almost the same as the Mossberg 500. And I came here today to read the comments about this brand.

I've been hunting for almost 40 years. And I never seen ANYONE hunting with a Mossberg. Almost everyone I've seen (old hunters) use Remington 870, 1100, Browning, and newer hunters mostly use Tristar. I have 3 870s, but also have Ithaca, Winchester, Baikal, Stevens, and a brand new cheap 20ga Silver Eagle semiauto.

Maybe Mossberg 500 is a good gun for the price, but I prefer very old shotguns that I can buy for less than a new 500, and I know will last more than me.

" Never seen ANYONE hunting with a Mossberg ". That may well be true for you, not disputing your personal experience, for sure. Having said that, I can assure you that there are LOTS of them in the turkey woods.

Remington 870 Express (Realtree Xtra camo)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

I'd probably have a nice selection of pump guns if the manufacturers would supply them with shim fit kits like they do with autoloaders.

I've always had the desire to pick up a .410 pump gun. I just bought a TriStar Viper G2 .410 instead because I know I can shim the butt stock to make the gun better fit my non-average dimensions.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

Today's ammo, steel based cases are not liked too well by many pumps, including the Mossberg. With some steel cases if I pump it immediately after firing, like shooting a double in skeet, the extractor might slip off the case which is stuck in the chamber. If you give a half second or more, then the shell spent shell seems to relax and then extracts, but still it come out with a little difficulty. Shooting brass based shells the gun is pretty smooth. Maybe some steel based cases work better than others, but today's ammo might be a reason for declining interest in pump guns, generally. Anyone figured out which steel based cases work the smoothest? Tell me if you know.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 am 
Tournament Grade

Which hulls are you firing that are NOT steel? And I've never had an extraction prob with a 500 no matter what the ammo brand. Might need to scrub your chamber.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

I shoot mainly Remington STS when shooting reloads. My chamber is clean. What brand of shells are giving you no extraction problems? Most any steel based load extracts with some resistance in my M500 and that is also true of my Remington 870 guns.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am 
Crown Grade

JoeCool wrote:
Today's ammo, steel based cases are not liked too well by many pumps, including the Mossberg... Maybe some steel based cases work better than others, but today's ammo might be a reason for declining interest in pump guns, generally. Anyone figured out which steel based cases work the smoothest? Tell me if you know.

JoeCool is right on about the steel based cases!! I just polished the chambers on a Rem 870 Express (they were not too horrible but not really smooth either) for a friend, in hopes that it would improve the ease of extraction. It does work, but there is a noticeable effort in shucking it with steel base cases. He has not tried it since, so I am waiting for the after action report.

IMO the Winchester Universal are the worst in that department as well as all others. Absolutely the lowest quality shells I have ever encountered! I won't use at any price, or let others use if I can stop them.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, these two posts, as innocent as they seem, sure opened a load of topics!

First off, when did reloads become part of the discussion? Try factory ammo compared to your reloads....in probs with reloads 99% of the time it's resizing probs, not hull probs. And try your hulls with a magnet, most "brass" hulls are steel. No idea on STS hulls. I don't shoot them. The Nitro-Mags (Remington, of course) sitting here in my behind the door Mossberg are steel. I've reloaded them so many times, they were once 3" hulls and had lip splits so I trimmed them down to 2 3/4". I usually shoot Federals....reds, whites, blues, and pinks....all steel. I have a few hundred Remington blacks, reloads, sitting here in the corner. All steel. Winchester white box, steel. If you're having probs with your reloads, try factory loads and see if they work better.

The Remington Express guns are notorious for rough and sticky chambers. Do I really need to say that? An Express gun with a sticky chamber is NOT the ammo!

Probably 95% of the hulls on the market today are steel. Maybe brass washed, but still steel. As I said, I have no ideas on which hulls may still be brass. Joe says STS's, I take his word for it. I don't think I've ever fired one. Me personally, I don't know of any that are still brass. And this thread is the FIRST I have ever heard of a Mossy being hard to extract. If you're having probs with reloads, it's the hull and the resizing, not the material. Try factory loads and see if that fixes your probs.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

I just fired a hundred rounds today with my M500, used 4 different ammos, Rem STS, Estate, Winchester
Universal, all these factory. I also did reloaded Gun clubs. They all extracted with no trouble, but the STS definitely was most easy extracting, also most expensive.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:35 pm 
Presentation Grade

oyeme wrote:

I just polished the chambers on a Rem 870 Express (they were not too horrible but not really smooth either) for a friend, in hopes that it would improve the ease of extraction. It does work, but there is a noticeable effort in shucking it with steel base cases. He has not tried it since, so I am waiting for the after action report.

IMO the Winchester Universal are the worst in that department as well as all others. Absolutely the lowest quality shells I have ever encountered! I won't use at any price, or let others use if I can stop them.

I went through extraction troubles on 870s also, in fact this was a big subject back about 8 years ago, 870 extraction problems seemed to be epidemic then, and it was almost always steel based cases but not always. Polishing chambers was often done, but often the problem turned out to be too tight clearance in the chamber extension. Here is an extensive thread on it in case you have to do more to clean up that sticky 870.
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 2&t=255157

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Hquiles wrote:

LOTS of people hunt with Mossbergs. LOTS AND LOTS. The majority of the shotguns sold in the United States are Mossberg and Remington, year after year, decade after decade.

Mossberg 500s and Remington 870 Express models are cheap. American like cheap, a.k.a. affordable, a.k.a. budget friendly, a.k.a. entry level, a.k.a. inexpensive.

Cheap things get no special respect and deserve none. Anything that costs less than your smartphone gets no wondrous bowing of heads. Why would it? A Timex tells as good a time as a Rolex, yet a Rolex is not as accurate as the cheapest cell phone. It doesn't mean a Timex doesn't work, or a Mossberg, or a Bic lighter.

Utilitarian products don't get people very excited . . . merely because they are common, cheap, and utilitarian. McDonald's puts far more meat on far more tables than all the shotguns in the world do . . . accounting for US$25.413 billion in revenue.

McDonald's doesn't get great respect, either.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am 
Limited Edition

A while back, picked up a Revelation (Western Auto) pumpgun that was manufactured by Mossberg for them. It had real walnut (decent grade) and a jeweled bolt so Mossy can/did make some nicer pieces. Perhaps, we should start a "take your Mossberg to McDonald's day" movement?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Although I know that the Mossberg 500 is a VERY well proven pump; I have never felt that after use and care, they became really smooth in operation as other makes and models. For example, the Ithaca Model 37, Winchester Model 12, Remington 870 and the best of them all in the smoothness department, the Remington Model 31 are all much slicker to pump. A surprise to me was the first S&W 3000 (made by Howa) I handled. Functioned as smoothly as a Model 31!

Is this why they are not seen as much? Nah, has nothing to do with it IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:54 am 
Tournament Grade

in 2013 there was 10,000,000 (ten million) Mossberg 500 made to date.

https://dailycaller.com/2013/04/30/moss ... -landmark/

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:20 am 
Presentation Grade

I have my first Mossberg 500 20GA, bought in '63, one of the single action bar guns, still going, now my grandson shooting it now.

Last edited by longislandloco on Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next