ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why doesn't the Mossberg 500 get any respect?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:41 pm 
Utility Grade

When I was shopping for a new 410 I did,nt want to tie up as much $ as my 870,s or other guns so I picked up a Mossberg #500 , 410. It shoots and handles great. Very happy with it. I,ve even shot some sporting clays with it. Heck,, it even shoots slugs great.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:10 am 
Field Grade

It does with me. I have owned 5 Remington 870,s in my life and 3 Mossburg 500,s. Only pumps I own now are 2 Mossberg 500,s. They have never failed me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:30 pm 
Utility Grade

Also while I,m at it ,, The recoil pad on my Mossberg is 10 times better than what came with the last 870 I bought.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:01 pm 
Field Grade

I own a 500 in .410. Less than 500 rounds through the gun and it is broken for the fourth time. It spends more time at Mossberg repair shop than in my possession. This is why it gets no respect. It is a firearm of poor design and quality, at least in the .410. There is no doubt it is going to keep breaking, and I am going to keep sending it back.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus semi
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale
All guns choked Magic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have owned a lot of 500s and variants. Have had nearly no repairs, but they were all 12 and 20 gauges. Still own one slightly customized that leans against the headboard of our bed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 am 
Tournament Grade

Hwcn wrote:
I own a 500 in .410. Less than 500 rounds through the gun and it is broken for the fourth time. It spends more time at Mossberg repair shop than in my possession. This is why it gets no respect. It is a firearm of poor design and quality, at least in the .410. There is no doubt it is going to keep breaking, and I am going to keep sending it back.

What part is it that keeps breaking on you?

Seeing as how it's pretty much identical to the 500A, it's kind of hard to declare it a "poor design". You're the first person I ever heard of that has probs. Also, seeing as how literally every part on it can be replaced by you in less than five mins, why don't you simply spend the $10 on the part and do it yourself?

It really sounds to me like you don't quite know much about the gun.

richard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 am 
Field Grade

Only mfg. shotgun to pass the tough MilSpec 3443 test and passed the NIJ standard0113.00 test. They have to be junk shotguns. They have been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. Must be doing something right. I guess any company can produce a lemon now and then.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

valencman wrote:
Only mfg. shotgun to pass the tough MilSpec 3443 test and passed the NIJ standard0113.00 test. They have to be junk shotguns. They have been around since Moby Dick was a minnow. Must be doing something right. I guess any company can produce a lemon now and then.

Those were different models.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:42 pm 
Field Grade

drahcirl wrote:
Hwcn wrote:

What part is it that keeps breaking on you?

Seeing as how it's pretty much identical to the 500A, it's kind of hard to declare it a "poor design". You're the first person I ever heard of that has probs. Also, seeing as how literally every part on it can be replaced by you in less than five mins, why don't you simply spend the $10 on the part and do it yourself?

It really sounds to me like you don't quite know much about the gun.

richard

Ejector snapped before it was even fired. Gun would not feed shells properly. Bolt assembly broke and had to be replaced. Tiny little pins that hold the slide rails to the forearm broke.

Almost every mechanical part has broken in under 500 rounds. To think it would cost $10 for the parts is delusional and why should I pay for the gun to be rebuilt in under 500 rounds? I have numerous shotguns with 10’s of thousands of rounds and even 100’s of thousands of rounds through them with no problems. These guns get my respect, not one that breaks every 125 rounds.

I for the life of me can’t understand how you can assess my knowledge of this firearm by my comments. It almost sounds like you are trying to place the blame on the user, and that would just be silly. I handle, own, and shoot many firearms on a regular basis and likely have shot more rounds during a year than most do in a lifetime. It is ludicrous to think that I should repair a brand new firearm in lieu of returning it for warranty work.

The forum question, was why no respect for the 500. I answered. Gun breaks 4 time in under 500 rounds and I have to defend my position. I did and I stand by my assessment.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus semi
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale
All guns choked Magic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:52 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

OMEGASANDMAN wrote:
Oh ok now lets just stop this bullshit train once anad for all I got to set yall right and let yall in on the facts and just to make this right I mean I am not trying to say anyone on here is full of sh*t or anything like that and not especially you my friend Guardian but you like so many others have either been brain washed or spoon feed too much bullshit or both. Ok here I go going to tell yall a little story and it all 100 percent factualy and I wont mention any names or places just to protect the innocent do`nt want to get anyone in trouble or anyone busted in rank if you know what I mean.

Now here is the truth the hole truth and nothing but the truth and I swear and give my word of honor on this and I am a man of honor what you and everyone else has been told about that milspec test was only half the story. The truth is yes mossberg did pass that test but what they didn`t tell you was remington passed it as well. you see the government had a dilima on thier hands both brands of shotgun out of all the brands tested like winchester was there anad some othere there was even a couple of semi-auto shotguns and a few other radical designs represnedted like even a selective fire shotgun but all failed to hold up to the torture test save for 2 and that was reminton and mossberg.

The problem was with 2 brands winning you could in theroy go with 2 but the thing was the remington was too expesive was going to cost almost $200.00 dollars U.S more per unit to buy them and for the numbers they was going to need with several new military units comming into being and needing many new shotguns it was just cheaper and to go with the mossberg and since it passed the test as well then thye had thier asses covered.So the government came up with a bullshit cover story so they could let remington down easy and sell and shovle the bullshit to the general public so for the better good so they could afford the numbers that they needed to buy others wise they would have come up a few thousand shotguns short of what they needed at the time.

Another way you can know this id fact at the time they still had a bunch of the vietnam era and a few bought right after we got out of vietnam reminton 870`s same model shotgun and if there was anything wrong with that particular model if it handed passed the test all remaining units of thoes left would have either been destroyed and sold as scrap or sold as surplus one or the other and they haven`t.

I have seen on several occasions where we had some troops or like at one of our embassies that was blown up in Africa a few years back one of the MARINES that was on duty there guarding it and came out to make sure no one else was going to cause any trouble was proudly aand looke like he felt very save and secure with the remington 870 that he had in his hands looked like he didn`t have any worring about if it had or hadn`t passed it`s test. he looked totally confident and looked like he knew if he had to he would be able to take care of business with it and him and any of the other marines and their weapon all working togehter as one team to kick a$$ and take names and take care of busniness if necessary.

Anyways that is the true story all 100 percent factual and complete the both passed the test and in actually are completely equal that is why I like both shotgun designs equally and feel just as safe and would be willing to trust my life and the lives of my frineds and family if i was using one of the other desing of shotgun to protect my frineds and fmaily with. Both desings are equally reliable and at the top of the cream of the crop .

Now there is however one advantage for sure with the remington 870 evn though it does usually cost more and like the say you get what you pay for there is a reason why it cost more then a mossberg the materials that it is made from cost more and how it is made. Remingtons receivers are made from milspec ordance grade steel some of the toughest strongest steel you can use to make firearms from or anything elze for t hat matter. I mean to use a quote from timex about thier watches remington 870`s take a licking and keep on ticking. That is why Wilsons Combat`s Scattergun Technology offers a package to law enforcement or to the general public that if you have an old beat up worn out remington 870 that looks like it`s on it`s last legs then send it to them and for a very resonable price they can replace the worn and or broken partns and basically give you a like as good as new shotgun that if you didn`t check the serial number you would thing was new.

I mean you might can beat up a remington 870 but I do`nt think you could ever really truely wear one out I mean these things are made to work and keep on working if you take good care of it , it will take good care of you and you will be able to pass it down to your kids and they to their kids and so and and so on voer many many generation to come it would give ones family many generation of good service.

So you get what you pay for you you pay for more workmanship and the more machineing that goes into a remington and the longevity on how well and how long it will last and I think in the long run if you can afford the higher prce of the remington 870 and you want and shotgun that will last and last and last then you better go witht he remington 870.But not like I said on the short term if yuo just looking for a reliable shotgun and it doesn`t have to last for generation then either shotgun will do just fine for they both are equally reliable it`s just the remington will last longer is all.

See that was another thing when the government with with the mossberg at that time they needed numbers and they knew that manybe theze might only last 30 or 40 years but htye needed numbers so they had to go with the lower price on the contract for the procurement of the shotguns they would need but they was still smart in keeping the several thousands of rem 870`s that they still had in inventory so they could still have best of both worlds and still have the 2 best and 2 most and equally reliable shotguns made to serve our troops out in the field and help them to be able to protect our country with the best hardware but at a price they could afford.

Now forward a coul;d of decades to now and if you do`nt know buy now we also have a new shotgun that our troops will be getting to use and it`s a auto loader it was when they was experimeting with it the xm-1014 made by a joint effort between benelli and H&K now that they offically adopted it I think it will be called either the M-1014 or the M-4 super 90 one or the other or maybe both it could be call the M-1014 in military guise and then once after the marines get theirs and then all the other military services willl get theirs after that then and t this is what I have heard and read then and only then will they start to offer them to civilian law enforcement and maybe even to the civilian general publice as well.
Now for some extra information as far as I know this semi-auto shotgun is the only one to have passed the tests that the military wanted it to pass that they would even accept a semi auto shotgun for use by our troops that they would be willing to trust to work reliable enough like trust your life and the buddies beside you life reliable if you know what I mean.It does it buy as far as i know being the only gas operated semi-auto shotgun to use 2 short stroke gas pistons so it has some back up redundancy built into it. So if in the middle of combat if one gas piston gets fouled and too dirty and starts to jam up or sticks on oyu or it it breaks in any other way this shotgun is designed to still fuction 100 percent reliable and you would be able to get by and make due till you get back to base or back to the ship or whatever.Then when you got back you would be able to get fixed what needed fixing or clean what needed to be cleaned on it .

Anyways I know this last part did`n thave anything to do with the rem 870 or the mss 500/590 series of pump action shotguns but this made me think of this as well and besides someone might get to thinking about the xm-1014 if they do they could read this and get thier answer in all likly hood and then that would take care of their question all at same time.

Anyways hope this doesn`t start any fights or piss anyone off just trying to set the facts and the record right and was tired of what the milspec 3443 E test was doing and making remington 870 look like a bitch compared to the mossberg 500/590 series and that just not the care it was true that the mosberg passed the test but it wasn`t the only one like our governemet sometimes or has manytimes if you want to tell the absolute truth has done is tell a half truth just so they can say thye told the truth.But now by omission thye have sort of lied for remington 870 passed muster pased with flying colors as they say and did everything the same equally as correct as the mossberg did and the mossberg did the same as the remmy so all being equal.

Anyways not yalls fault that yall have either been brain washed or spoon feed the old goverment shuck and jive bullshit shuffle for so long that you fell for it hook line and sinker. So I had to do my duty as an honor bound good ole boy good guy to set the facts straight.

Well hope no one gets pissed off for i didn`t want to look like I was being an over bearing know it all type that like to rap thoes that give the wrong answer on the knuckles like they did in some places many many years ago.I just had to make sure the cat was finally let out the bag not trying to hurt anyones feeling by correcting anyone . Hope everyone enjoys reading this and enjoys getting this informative information on this subject and besides like I was always told if you pay attention you could or should almost be able to learn something new every day and maybe this will enlighten someone that ddidn` talready know this and you might even have some fun with it even, you never know.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I don't remember the 870 even being submitted for the military tests. So I guess it is a little bitch did not even bother to show up. You can't take your ball and go home and bitch when they find another ball. The gun still had to pass the tests, and the material the receiver is made out of contributing to the longevity of a gun is a bunch of BS. Benelli uses alloy recievers on their guns and they seem to do OK. A magnet will not stick to my sbe3 so I guess it won't last as long, well there is $1700 down the tube. Both good guns both will serve you well and buy the one you like. I like the Mossberg action design better. The shell elevator on the mossberg is heads and tails above the remington glove grabber. The safety location is far superior. That being said I would love to get my hands on a mint condition 70-85 wingmaster in mint condition to put on my wall. They are just a beautiful gun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:10 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

The U.S. Army Ordnance Dept. issued Order No. 17074 on Aug. 7, 1941, which standardized the following shotguns for “riot and sporting use”: Winchester Model 97, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca Model 37, Remington Model 31 and Savage M620.

Quote:
As the United States’ involvement in Vietnam began to escalate further, the supply of World War II-production shotguns became depleted as the guns, once again, proved their value to our troops. Beginning in 1963, the U.S. government placed orders with Ithaca for Model 37 riot guns for issue to our armed forces. They were mechanically identical to the guns previously made for the South Vietnamese government but were not equipped with sling swivels. The serial numbers had an “S” prefix and were in a lower range (S1000-S23000) than the guns made previously. The guns were marked “U.S.” on the right side of the receiver with “P” proofmarks on the receiver and barrel. The stocks were unmarked.

The most widely issued shotguns during the Southeast Asia conflict were the Ithaca Model 37 and Stevens Model 77E. While issued in large numbers, the Model 77E was plagued by some nagging reliability problems, but the Model 37 generally gave excellent service and was highly regarded by the majority of its users. By the late 1960s, newer designs, including the Remington Model 870 and Winchester Model 1200, came on the scene, and most of the Model 37s (and 77Es) were eventually withdrawn from military service.

The U.S. Army is replacing Mossberg 500 series shotguns with the new M26 Modular Accessory Shotgun System, or MASS. A bolt action, magazine fed shotgun, the M26 can be used alone with a shoulder stock or attached under the barrel of a M4 carbine. Even the German Army has done an about face on shotguns, issuing the Remington 870 Police Magnum to airborne engineer and special operations troops.

The appeal of the Mossberg 500 , like the Winchester 1200, is only its cheapness.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:34 pm 
Utility Grade

The only thing expensive on the new Remingtons is the price. Mossberg thriving as a company Remington bankrupt, Advantage Mossberg. You Remington guys are the best you refuse to see the crap that Remington has been spitting out for the last 20 yrs. Mossberg has stayed the same and even gotten a little better. But hey don't let the facts get in your way. I bet the Germans are going to get 870 expresses good luck with those. The Remington you knew growing up no longer exists. All new Remington firearms will be shipped with a pack of tissue, so you can cry over the death of a once great company.

PS Mossberg actions are stronger and better designed than the remington.

Last edited by Pgeurts on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:38 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Pgeurts wrote:
But hey don't let the facts get in your way.

What facts? You haven't cited any.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 pm 
Utility Grade

Fact- Mossberg thriving and making money
Fact Remington Bankrupt
Fact Remington quality slipping
Remington guys are the best. Nobody was running out to buy these so-called quality products to save the company from Bankruptcy.
That is the last I will say about this. Except for who is going to make the new shotgun for the military?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:50 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Pgeurts wrote:
Fact- Mossberg thriving and making money
Fact Remington Bankrupt
Fact Remington quality slipping
Remington guys are the best. Nobody was running out to buy these so-called quality products to save the company from Bankruptcy.

I know better. No. Mossberg is not at all thriving.

No, Remington is not bankrupt. JPMorgan Chase & Co (JPM.N) and Franklin Advisors are part owners and Cerberus Capital Management is gone. That happened in May of 2018.

No, Remington's quality is better than ever, with a lifetime warranty on everything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 pm 
Utility Grade

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-remi ... SKCN1II24T
Mossberg had lifetime warranties on their guns much longer than Remington. You may want to look at the new wingmaster before you say their quality is better than ever. I would say it is a hair below a Mossberg Country Squire model 500.
I know I will never change your mind because the Remington Kool-aid is good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:39 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Pgeurts wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-remington-bankruptcy/us-gunmaker-remington-exits-bankruptcy-in-tough-gun-climate-idUSKCN1II24T
Mossberg had lifetime warranties on their guns much longer than Remington. You may want to look at the new wingmaster before you say their quality is better than ever. I would say it is a hair below a Mossberg Country Squire model 500.

Business News
May 17, 2018

Mossberg has never had a lifetime warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:46 pm 
Utility Grade

I am going keep buying my Mossbergs. And you are welcome to the company whos quality is sliding downhill faster than a greased cat on a wet slip n slide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:22 am 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

Pgeurts wrote:
I am going keep buying my Mossbergs.

You'll have to, as your imaginary Mossberg Lifetime warranty is just that. Whenever you buy the same thing over and over again, it is no one's bargain. I'm sorry for your plight.

You don't get to lie about lifetime warranties, you don't get to invent the Germans, using 870 Police Magnums, are "Expresses," you don't get to falsely claim that Remington is currently in bankruptcy, and you don't get to claim that Mossberg is thriving, when that clearly is not true.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next