ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Mossberg SA-20 and light loads.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Austringer wrote:
Hello,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I am looking for an answer to this very question. I am interested in the SA-20, but only if it will eject/feed 3/4 oz loads.

Did you end up giving it a try? If so, what velocity were your loads, and did they cycle the gun?

Thank You!

The lowest weight load I tried was a fast 24 gram load and it did work flawless.
I never tried 3/4 oz.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:08 am 
Utility Grade

I’m new to this forum and looking for any help on my SA-20.

Mine won’t eject any 7/8 oz loads. I called the company and was told it’s a 3 inch gun.

Anyone have any success with a modification? I’m probably going to trade it in for a proper 20ga gun.

Thanks,
Kirk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the Viper G2 which I'm told is essentially the same gun as the SA20. It cycles factory 7/8 and 1200 fps reloads with no problems. The 3/4oz. loads it seems to be more selective. It will NOT reliably cycle 3/4 reloads with Intl Clays or Promo powder but it is 100% reliable with the slightly slower Unique and Wincester WSF @ 1200 fps. Evidently the larger gas volume and (I'm guessing) slightly higher port pressure makes the difference.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 pm 
Field Grade

Kmanbacon wrote:

Mine won’t eject any 7/8 oz loads. I called the company and was told it’s a 3 inch gun.

Anyone have any success with a modification? I’m probably going to trade it in for a proper 20ga gun.

Thanks,
Kirk

Is this a new gun? Did you clean it thoroughly before shooting? Have you run anything heavier through it?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:56 am 
Limited Edition

I went skeet shooting with my son this past weekend, and he grabbed my SA-20 from the safe. He shot it very well, and said it had no felt recoil for him. He was using some very inexpensive ammo. First couple of boxes were some Monarch 7/8 ounce #8's from Academy sports, the next few boxes were the cheepie Federal loads that come in a box of 100 from Walmart. It digested them equally well, throwing the Monarchs a bit further than the Federals. I have not shot any commercially readily available load yet, that this gun will not work with. This has been a very good buy for me and I happy to take it out and use it every chance I get.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:43 pm 
Field Grade

Although I traded in my SA-20 due to cycling issues, I do not believe it was related to 7/8 oz loads, as I never had an FTE. Mine just had a hang up loading the second shell on about 10% of my pairs in sporting clays, getting snagged just before entering the chamber.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:19 am 
Limited Edition

Kmanbacon wrote:

Thanks,
Kirk

Did you ever get a resolution to this? The sa20 absolutely should be reliable with 2.75" 7/8oz loads. The company rep you spoke with was clueless.

I suppose Mossberg has to cut corners somewhere and product support maybe is what they did.