ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: size of receivers of 500 all purpose wood 12 vs 20
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:29 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:16 pm
Posts: 62
I plan to buy on line a 500 all purpose hunting wood. I hesitate between a 12 or 20. To buy a 20 ga I would like it to have a smaller receiver than the 12 ga. If they are of the same size I'll go for the 12.
So is the 20 in a smaller frame than the 12?




Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: size of receivers of 500 all purpose wood 12 vs 20
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
Yes, many people know that the 20 gauge receiver is smaller than the 12 gauge receiver, but the interesting thing to me was when I tried to find out how much smaller. After examining many potential internet sources, I only found one fellow who claimed that the 20 gauge receiver is 33mm wide and the 12 gauge receiver is 37mm wide.

Would someone with calipers and a Mossberg 500C and a Mossberg 500A please measure the widths of the receivers? Thanks...

Good luck, pow1.

_________________
Image
Joe and Jill
Went up the Hill
To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: size of receivers of 500 all purpose wood 12 vs 20
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:12 am 
Utility Grade

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:16 am
Posts: 16
Location: Washington STate
wfb18 wrote:
Yes, many people know that the 20 gauge receiver is smaller than the 12 gauge receiver, but the interesting thing to me was when I tried to find out how much smaller. After examining many potential internet sources, I only found one fellow who claimed that the 20 gauge receiver is 33mm wide and the 12 gauge receiver is 37mm wide.

Would someone with calipers and a Mossberg 500C and a Mossberg 500A please measure the widths of the receivers? Thanks...

Good luck, pow1.




My 500Atp 12gauge is 1.410 which is 35.814mm or close 36mm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: size of receivers of 500 all purpose wood 12 vs 20
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:49 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:06 am
Posts: 85
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Here are the numbers I got when I measured a couple of my 500s...

12 gauge Height - 2.465" Width - 1.403"
20 gauge Height - 2.403" Width - 1.302"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: size of receivers of 500 all purpose wood 12 vs 20
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:52 pm 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:47 pm
Posts: 546
Location: NW IL
pow1 wrote:
I plan to buy on line a 500 all purpose hunting wood. I hesitate between a 12 or 20. To buy a 20 ga I would like it to have a smaller receiver than the 12 ga. If they are of the same size I'll go for the 12.
So is the 20 in a smaller frame than the 12?


A couple things to consider in choosing a 12 ga or 20 ga would be what you plan to hunt or shoot and what ammo you plan to use.

There is nothing wrong with a 20 ga on a 12 ga frame when it comes to recoil as long as a 20 ga will do everything you need it to. There is also nothing wrong with a 20 ga that weighs less than a 12 ga if you are going to carry it a long ways.

_________________
Hunters don't have to make excuses for shooting at birds that are too close.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: size of receivers of 500 all purpose wood 12 vs 20
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Posts: 2660
Location: It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to. (1931)
boray wrote:
Here are the numbers I got when I measured a couple of my 500s...

12 gauge Height - 2.465" [62.611 mm] Width - 1.403" [35.636 mm]
20 gauge Height - 2.403" [61.036 mm] Width - 1.302" [33.071 mm]


Thank you, BC45 and boray.



_________________
Image
Joe and Jill
Went up the Hill
To steal a big election.
Joe fell down
And lost his Crown,
And Jill came tumbling after.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: 47MolineRTU, 49straight, 58PERAZZI, Auzzie Shot, avogunner, Bamaskeetshooter, Bing [Bot], birdhunter39, Blackdog56, Bob_K, bradcroz, CapHillSkt, castnblast2, Cfelix10, Curly N, Dammerung, dcr5468, df, dickgtax, EricB, fecmech, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grade6man, gunner76, icyclefar, ithacanut, jackwolter, JayMc, jodypenny, JPFROG, komatsu, kwb377, LG, Lumberjack98, mactownbob, Malcolm7, Mallard Cutter, Mark Anthony, MarkHodson, May, mikeydio, msmith, Mule Driver, NailNinja, nimrodder, oneounceload, painter*, pete blakeley, Peter45, pitandremington, PtJudeRI, railroad, Road Rat, Rooster booster, RossRagan, scottyhammond, scrugneysgundogs, searun, shacked, skar, Skeet_Man, snooky, Spizzer, Spring1898, swampcreek, tdyoung58, TMWilsoniv, tracker 6, Upland Quest, Useltonp, Warden, z4lunch


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice