ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Awaiting delivery of youth bantam SA-20
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:55 am 
Field Grade

I’ve been researching for over a month in an attempt to find the best auto loading shotgun for my smaller children. In particular my two 9 year old girls. I have a youth model 870 Express magnum I purchased several years ago when my oldest showed an interest in shooting, but found that she had trouble pushing the bolt release to load a round into the chamber (she’s 16 now and still has difficulty with it). The recoil on it is also worse than her boyfriend’s 20 S&W auto loader. She swings, loads, and shoots his gun better than her 870.

I want my girls to have fun and not fear shooting a gun. I wanted something that was available with a youth stock, light enough for them to handle, and with as little recoil as possible. I found out that there really weren’t many options in my area, and the options that were available cost more than my own auto loading shotgun. I took my middle daughter with me to Bass pro to shoulder some 20 gauges, but all they had there were inertia guns (M2, Affinity, Element). I knew that wasn’t going to work, as I am absolutely certain the recoil would be too rough on them. I also know how difficult it is to load rounds into the magazine on those guns, and I want to teach them how to do it themselves as they get older.

I decided to check out a local gun store where I live, but all they had on the shelf in 20 gauge auto loaders were 2 Winchester SX3s. I’m sure they would be soft shooting, but the sticker price on them was $900. I just couldn’t see spending that much on a 20 gauge I wasn’t sure they would be able to handle. Luckily, I checked to see if Mr. Wakeman did any reviews on 20 gauge auto loaders. I know some on here think he is biased towards some brands with 12 gauge auto loaders, and it appears that he may be, but Everyone has their personal favorites. I found his reviews of available 20 gauge auto loaders to be very thorough and unbiased. He pointed out any faults he noticed in each model. He seemed to stay away from subjective faults, such as : feel, how it swings, the ergonomics of the controls, etc. To be honest, I never pay attention to people who start with all that mess. A gun will feel and swing different to just about everyone. What I was interested in was how each gun cycles different loads, how easy it is to load, work the bolt release, and safety. I wanted to know if the gun could be purchased with a youth stock and shorter barrel. And I know that this is also somewhat subjective, but I wanted to know If there was any noticeable difference in the recoil of each model. Mr. Wakeman not only gave a thorough video review of many of the 20 gauge models available, but he even had a great side by side review of 4 models. He plainly demonstrated the strengths and weaknesses of each gun.

It appeared that the SA-20 fit the criteria I was looking for. I didn’t want to purchase a gun without first having my children shoulder it, but I really had no choice, as none of the ones locally came close to what I was looking for. So I found a used youth bantam SA-20 on gunbroker and bought it for $325. It’s on its way to my local gun shop, and I hope the weather cooperates enough for my 16 year old to at least put some rounds down range with it. I will post my thoughts on the gun as each of my kids set the opportunity to shoot it. In the mean time, I want to thank Mr. Randy Wakeman for the thorough research and reviews that he has done on 20 gauge auto loaders.

Post subject: Re: Awaiting delivery of youth bantam SA-20
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:04 am 
Presentation Grade

SHughes,

It is really disappointing that many of the gun shops do not keep a decent inventory any more. You were thinking correctly when you wanted your girls to handle the guns for fit. You may find the SA 20 gun stock a might short for your 16 year old unless she happens to be a small girl.

I know you want the Semi Auto for the minimal recoil, however with SpredR shells and an O/U you can accomplish the same recoil. The soft shooting 20 Gauge SpredR shells shoot wide patterns for the girls to learn with also. Just a piece of advise, having taught many young girls how to shoot I never start them out with a Semi Auto gun, just for safety reasons and as you indicated loading them for a young girls is not always easy. With a modern O/U its a completely different situation.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

NRA Life Member/NRA Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the response. I preach safety to my kids. I’ve started my little ones with BB guns. My 16 year old has started shooting skeet with me. We just recently discovered the sport. She used my buddy’s 20 gauge silver mallard her first time out, and outshot me lol. I ended up buying the silver mallard from him. He didn’t want to sell it, but he was just impressed by how well she shot it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:15 am 
Field Grade

How do you and your kids like the sa 20 bantam?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:53 am 
Field Grade

I never got a youth Bantam. That’s what was advertised on gun broker, but it was a standard SA-20. The gun wouldn’t cycle, and wasn’t what I purchased, so I sent it back for a refund. I ended up purchasing a Beretta Silver Mallard from a friend. It is an outstanding 20 gauge! My 16 year old loves it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

My son bought an SA-20 youth for my grandson recently; I did the initial cleaning and assembly and bought a couple boxes of AA...low recoil and regular 7/8 oz. at 1,200 to try ahead of grandson shooting it. No surprise, low recoil load is not enough to open the bolt, but very soft...ok as a single shot and getting used to the gun.
The regular loads cycle fine, but the gun is light and kicks. Looks like adding weight and maybe a slip-on recoil pad are next. Any recommendations as to adding weight in the stock; what to use, etc.?
Overall good and seems to clean up ok.