ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Silver Reserve finally broke a firing pin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:22 pm 
Field Grade

I was shooting trap Saturday with my 1961 Winchester Model 50. I brought a friend and lent him my Silver Reserve O/U. I have had this Silver Reserve since 2006 and taken it to shoot trap and to hunt many many times. I know these are prone to breakage so I am not surprised. The top firing pin broke on his first shot. The piece dropped into the action and jammed being able to break it open. I managed to get it to open, and he shot with the bottom barrel for the rest of the day. It goes back to Mossberg next week.

Do they just replace the firing pins with the same old style or do they make them out of better material now?

Post subject: Re: 2006 Silver Reserve finally broke a firing pin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:08 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Is it necessary to send a Mossberg Silver Reserve back to the factory to get a firing pin replaced? That's a DIY job for most O/U shotguns. Kinda like shipping your car back to Detroit for an oil change. :?

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:11 pm 
Field Grade

After reading your post I took my gun apart. It does not look that difficult to change the pins. Worst case I have a friend who is a gun smith. I ordered the pins and springs from Mossberg. They said they are better quality now. I ordered a second set for the future. This weekend I am going to do some refinish work on the stock and the fore grip when I wait for parts.

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:24 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

stogie25 wrote:
After reading your post I took my gun apart. It does not look that difficult to change the pins. Worst case I have a friend who is a gun smith. I ordered the pins and springs from Mossberg. They said they are better quality now. I ordered a second set for the future. This weekend I am going to do some refinish work on the stock and the fore grip when I wait for parts.

Thanks for your input!

You're welcome. I'm sure that if you approach the task by doing some research online and then being careful in what you do, then you'll have no problem at all. Most of the time all you have to do to replace firing pins is to punch out a retaining pin for each firing pin, remove the old firing pin (and perhaps a small spring around the bottom pin), clean out the recess/hole, then replace with new firing pins with very light amount of lightweight oil. Re-insert the retaining pins, reassemble the gun, and you're good to go.

I haven't done this on a Mossberg, but it's likely very similar if not identical to what I described.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:58 am 
Field Grade

I am very impressed. I ordered my new firing pins and springs from Mossberg on Monday. They showed up on Wednesday. I will try the install on Saturday morning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:43 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

As you should be able to see from the shape of the firing pins, the firing pin retaining pins will be positioned such as to go right through (a cutout in) the firing pins.

From looking at your posted picture, it appears that the retaining pins will be 2 of the 3 pins on the right side of the picture. I think it will be the top and bottom pin, but can't be sure from just this one picture. A careful examination of the action should reveal which two pins to punch out.

Of course, you'll want to have the hammers cocked and the safety on when punching out the retaining pins. Generally, each pin can be removed in only one direction... either right to left or left to right. Sometimes both pins will be removed in the same direction and sometimes they will be removed in opposite directions.

I always look to see which end of the pin is the smaller diameter. If I can identify the smaller diameter, then I can be certain that is the end I must apply the punch to. If both ends are the same diameter, then you just need to use logic of layout or simply try punching on either end and see if it moves any. If it doesn't move, try the other end. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Be sure to lay the receiver on a padded, but sturdy, bench to do the punch work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:35 pm 
Field Grade

All fixed. The bottom pin needed some fitting so I took it to my smith who made short work of it. This was much better faster and cheaper then sending it to Mossberg.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

stogie25 wrote:
All fixed. The bottom pin needed some fitting so I took it to my smith who made short work of it. This was much better faster and cheaper then sending it to Mossberg.

That's good! Don't know what type "fitting" the bottom pin may have required, but if it was just a little bit of filing, that's easy enough for most people to do themselves. Glad it's all done now. Now you know a lot more about your gun than you did just a few days ago, and I'm sure you are happy about that.