ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SA-20 Ejection Problems
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:17 pm 
Field Grade

Last week I took my new SA-20 to the Skeet Range and shot one round of skeet with no problems or jams - certainly a good omen - I thought. I did a thorough disassembly and cleaning this week and returned to the range today where I shot two rounds of skeet. However, today, I had many troubles with failures to eject with the same ammunition that did just fine last week - Winchester White Box 7/8 oz of No. 8.

Any thoughts where to start to help get this issue resolved?

Many thanks!

Post subject: Re: SA-20 Ejection Problems
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:44 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

AQBill wrote:
However, today, I had many troubles with failures to eject with the same ammunition that did just fine last week - Winchester White Box 7/8 oz of No. 8.

Many thanks!

Use better quality ammo.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

The folks at my club have come to the conclusion that the inexpensive Winchester ammo you refer to is best NOT used in semiautomatic shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm 
Field Grade

Specifically, what ammo would you recommend for skeet? I knew by experience that Winchester .22lr is considered poor quality but thought that the shot shells were OK. How about Winchester AA clay loads?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

AQBill wrote:
Last week I took my new SA-20 to the Skeet Range and shot one round of skeet with no problems or jams - certainly a good omen - I thought. I did a thorough disassembly and cleaning this week and returned to the range today where I shot two rounds of skeet. However, today, I had many troubles with failures to eject with the same ammunition that did just fine last week - Winchester White Box 7/8 oz of No. 8.

Many thanks!

If the gun had not done well with this ammo right from the start, I might conclude that the gun needs a good cleaning and/or lubrication and possibly some different ammo. However, that's not what happened. The gun did fine (originally) with this ammo. The only thing that is apparently different is that you disassembled and cleaned the gun.

Therefore, my simple logic is that if the ammo is the same, then the problem must be in how or what you did to the gun to make it different. My first suspicion would be that you did not assemble the gun correctly. My second suspicion would be that you perhaps clogged up the gas port(s) in the barrel. And my third suspicion is that you did not adequately lubricate the gun after cleaning it.

That's about all it could be based on what you've told us unless you suddenly started failing to shoulder the gun tightly while shooting. This is the equivalent of "limp wristing" a semi-auto pistol.

Semi-Auto Classifieds is ONLY for Complete Semi-Auto shotguns.
Over/Under Classifieds is ONLY for Complete O/U shotguns.
Items other than a complete shotgun go in OTHER Classifieds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 am 
Diamond Grade

AQBill wrote:
Specifically, what ammo would you recommend for skeet? I knew by experience that Winchester .22lr is considered poor quality but thought that the shot shells were OK. How about Winchester AA clay loads?

Winchester AAs have a stellar reputation. As for the budget loads, the only ones that have earned a very poor reputation at my club are the Winchesters.

Personally, I've had totally satisfactory performance with lower-priced loads like Federal Field and Target, Estate, Federal Top Gun and Remington Gun Club.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 am 
Crown Grade

Those guns are usually boringly reliable and not to worry yours will be that way also.

I am with Ulysses on this one in that it is undoubtedly due to something done while cleaning or assembly. However, I am at a loss what unless as he points out, the gas ports somehow got gunked up in the process. I also agree with Randy that the Winchester Universal white box stuff is the absolute worst quality ammo that is readily available and you should switch. However, it did work for one box with that garbage. Maybe you just got lucky with that box.

I would take the barrel off and using a pipe cleaner with embedded wire, run it in and out of the gas ports. It won't do any harm and may dislodge anything there. In addition, using CLP on a rag give everything in an around that gas cylinder a very light rub down. Also the magazine tube. Finally, I would go get some of the cheap Federal ammo that sells alongside the Winchester stuff at Wal-Mart and try it with that.

Make sure you have the barrel fully seated in the receiver before putting forend on. There should be almost no gap between the rib's beginning and the end of the receiver.

Finally, if it still falters I would try running a box or so of heavy field loads through it. 1 oz if you have them or fast (1250+) 7/8 oz. loads. Please let us know what you experience after trying some of these "fixes". I am curious at least. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I'll be back at the range this coming Sunday - unless the weather's bad - and will let you know the results. Re-cleaned the SA-20 and made sure to clean out the gas ports (didn't seem to be anything there). Finally, bought two boxes of AA and will shoot that for a round or two! Perhaps loading the AA shell first and the second the offending Winchester white box shells just to make things interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 pm 
Crown Grade

OP PM please check for PM.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 am 
Tournament Grade

That cheap Winchester ammo is garbage. I have seen it jam in just about every type of shotgun. Even pump guns. If you are going to use the 100 round packs from Wal-Mart use the Federal. Never had any issues with it in any of my shotguns in 12ga and 20ga.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:58 pm 
Field Grade

Thanks folks, I'm going to the range tomorrow afternoon and have a selection of ammunition other than the Winchester white box - Winchester AA, Remington Gun Club and some Nobel Sport. I should get to the bottom of this in short order! Will report back tomorrow evening (Sunday. September 8, 2019).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm 
Field Grade

After switching shells - today I shot both Remington Gun Club and Nobel Sport - my Mossberg SA-20 worked like a champ with nary a hiccup or stovepipe. I shall studiously avoid Winchester White Box from this time forward. It seems that these WWB shells have a well-deserved reputation as poor performers. In the .22lr rimfire world this loathsome position is "owned" by Remington Thunderbolts for all its many shortcomings.

I am now, officially, one happy camper!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:19 pm 
Diamond Grade

AQBill wrote:
After switching shells - today I shot both Remington Gun Club and Nobel Sport - my Mossberg SA-20 worked like a champ with nary a hiccup or stovepipe. I shall studiously avoid Winchester White Box from this time forward. It seems that these WWB shells have a well-deserved reputation as poor performers. In the .22lr rimfire world this loathsome position is "owned" by Remington Thunderbolts for all its many shortcomings.

I'm glad to hear your new gun is running well.

The sad part of that Winchester white box situation is the blame that gets put on new shotguns by unsuspecting users, or by the frustration it causes in general; especially to new shooters.

It's shameful, and Winchester should improve the product!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

AQBill wrote:

As predicted! Enjoy your SA-20! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? LOL